Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I threw another roll in my auction find Canon setup, and boy is it difficult to focus without a rangefinder or light meter. I thought I had adjusted the rangefinder correctly, but no. The film is Kodak Ultramax 400, blender 0.95, and the camera settings are mostly guesswork.

Got a couple of cool double (one and a half?) exposures though:

I don't know if I'm ready to dive into film photography just yet, but it would sure be fun to find a fully working Canon Model 7 to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Tried a roll of Fujifilm 200 in the Canon, a bit difficult to estimate the settings with this film, but a couple of shots came out alright, concidering both the rangefinder and the light meter isn't working.

I then traded the Canon for a bundle of cash and this little cutie:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

I am so, so very weak. Picked this up today from an eBay seller that I noticed was local. Haven't loaded anything, I want to pore over the manual first but I've been fiddling with it to get familiar. I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine into a dazzling bright future.

Well, hello there! That's a beautiful camera!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

ooh man i am really thinking about getting one of the OM models. My heart is set on the 4 just because lizard brain is saying "newer=better" even though I know that's not true. The main draw is the dedicated hot shoe and shutter speeds doubling to 1/2000. The 2N looks way more affordable on ebay though... Post back when you've shot with it some please

It's not too shabby at all! I found it very easy to use, and most of the photos came ut great.

Portra 800:

UltraMax 400:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

Wowwww I loving love all those. I'm a machinist by trade and I wish I was allowed to walk around our facility taking pictures but all of our stuff is controlled aerospace so pictures are verboten. I was out shooting today and was trying to find a way to get a decent vantage point of the cement plan out here but no luck. If you missed it, I did give in to my impulses and got myself an OM4 and a couple lenses!

There's probably a lot of great photo opportunities behind locked doors and NDAs!

I saw your new camera, what a beauty! I'm looking to get a couple of lenses for my camera as well, but the "special" ones are very pricy! I would love to get a 100mm f/2 for portraits, but I'm not shelling out 600$++ for one.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Someone I know is on vacation in Japan, and they're bringing home a couple of these bad boys for me:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

dema posted:

I really like these.

Thanks! I've been trying out several different types of films, and I think I like UltraMax 400 and Tmax 400 the best for "everyday" shots. I also really liked the Neopan, I'll have to try another roll for portraits.

Fuji Neopan Acros II 100:

Kodak Tmax 400:

CineStill 800T:

Kodak Portra 800:

Kodak UltraMax 400:

Kodak Tmax P3200:

afen fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 28, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

Man I gotta get some Portra 800. Nice shots, friend.

Thank you! Yeah, Portra 800 is a great film, but I like the punchy colours of UltraMax 400 better, even though the Portra looks more "correct".

I've been spending way too much money on this, but I love film photography! A wonderful creative outlet, and I'll have the memories forever.

afen fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 29, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Been shooting some Fuji Superia 400 lately, and it's a great film. Very good under fluorescent light, almost no green tint.

It's a pity Fujifilm have stopped producing Superia, but I think I'll manage with UltraMax 400.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I got another OM-2 for a song, and it seems like there's some light leak issues. I've ordered new seals from eBay, but I wonder if worn light seals could cause underexposed photos?

Light leak:

Is black and white film more sensitive when it comes to over/underexposure? I've taken some great shots with colour film in this camera, but maybe colour film has more leeway when it comes to underexposure?

afen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 11, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I would guess shutter speeds being off before light meter calibration for most cameras.

Is there an easy way of checking this? I've searched and found all sorts of techniques with recording the sound and building weird IR light boxes, but maybe there's a simpler way?

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Does the OM-2 need the old 1.35v batteries?

The manual says 1.5V and I've inserted a couple of 1,55V SR44 Silver Oxide batteries. Could that be the cause? I've read that these Olympus cameras are especially sensitive to voltages.

The camera itself seems well used, but not abused. The film advance lever needs a little extra push to enable the shutter, the seals are not great, and it's pretty dirty. The camera has probably been sitting in a basement or something for the last 20 years.

afen fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 12, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Changed the seals on the Olympus camera, and it seems to have fixed both the light leak and the exposure issues.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Flashy!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I tried a roll of Ilford XP2, and I really like the type of contrast this film has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

lollybo posted:

Wow these are gorgeous! I really like all of them. What developer did you use?

Thank you! I just delivered them to a local developer. I don't really have space for a darkroom at home.

Megabound posted:

XP2 is a C41 black and white film. You can cross process it with black and white chemistry but that looks like it was done in C41

I got them developed pretty quicky so it's probably C41. This shop only does b/w development a couple of times a week.

Will it look better with b/w developing?