Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hi! Do you know how to repair a torn photo? This is an important inscription for historians. Try to get rid of one or two of those big lines down the front of it?

lines!

The scholars know Hebrew but not photoshop. So everybody has a different illustration of the rock that matches the words they see. I thought goons, the original photoshop experts, could help clarify the puzzle. Like in popular video games, alternate reality games, but it's khirbet el-qom. Of course satirical images are welcome. Those of you who get a kick out of puzzle solving like me, feel free to grab a lexicon and try to uncover the secrets of the true names of god. While the characters look odd, the inscription doesn't seem overly archaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Mescal posted:

uncover the secrets of the true names of god

I had a look at the pixels, it reads in Hebrew (I had to add in the vowels though)

Pneurtis.
Pneurtia.
Kim Jong Un.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SEND NUDES

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mescal posted:

Hi! Do you know how to repair a torn photo? This is an important inscription for historians. Try to get rid of one or two of those big lines down the front of it?

lines!

The scholars know Hebrew but not photoshop. So everybody has a different illustration of the rock that matches the words they see. I thought goons, the original photoshop experts, could help clarify the puzzle. Like in popular video games, alternate reality games, but it's khirbet el-qom. Of course satirical images are welcome. Those of you who get a kick out of puzzle solving like me, feel free to grab a lexicon and try to uncover the secrets of the true names of god. While the characters look odd, the inscription doesn't seem overly archaic.

don’t know if that’s the right approach, op. you’d probably get a lot farther with a toolset like the babylonian engine. i think it already handles akkadian, so you could potentially get it up and running with hebrew

you’d probably also need to bolt on a handwritten-hebrew ocr. not sure what the state of the art is for that, but this project looks like it might be a good place to start

or maybe this is a photoshop thread that i took too seriously? :shrug:

e: actually, hebrew is hella consistent, right? maybe you’d be good with just the ocr

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

redshirt posted:

SEND NUDES

:nws:https://imgur.com/WfweQid:nws:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I’m most definitely dumb, but I don’t understand how these superficial lines are prohibitive?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I think I found out what was behind the lines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mescal posted:

lines!

I don't think I understand

this is a photograph of a rock from an archeological site in the west bank, with inscriptions on it in ancient hebrew, but the inscriptions are marred by large scratches on the front of the rock, and you want somebody who's good at photoshop to photoshop the scratches out, right?

why are scholars making illustrations of the rock if they have photographs? is the rock lost and this is the only photograph? :confused:

I could probably photoshop the lines out, but I'd pretty much just be making up whatever takes their place and I don't think it would be any more helpful than any other person just making their best guess of what the inscription looks like with their naked eye

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

I got meatspin'd at work before, this doesn't wow me

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’m most definitely dumb, but I don’t understand how these superficial lines are prohibitive?

Cubone posted:

why are scholars making illustrations of the rock if they have photographs? is the rock lost and this is the only photograph? :confused:

I don't know. I think most people haven't seen photos like those, just illustrations like these. They're made to match an interpretation. Note: the two on the left are probably more bogus than on the right.

Dick Fontaine posted:

you’d probably also need to bolt on a handwritten-hebrew ocr.
That sounds complicated. I've just been looking at the thing. It's not a mysterious language, just a slightly unusual way of writing it. It's almost like biblical hebrew. the only problem is the inscription's got these defacements, and possible doubles, it's not clear.

the babylonian engine is definitely pretty cool though

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
if someone does loss this is going to be epic

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I tried cleaning it up a little bit and think I uncovered some kind of cautionary tale.