Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tight end absolutely has to be a priority, likely a hair behind OT

Jaheim Bell is a very Miami Dolphins kind of tight end IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

indigi posted:

is Trotter Jr gonna be good

It depends on where he goes, scheme fit is tricky and real important for off the ball linebackers.

IMO he's perfect for the Fangio tree teams and I hope Miami gets him. Don't give him a zillion loving things to check and memorize, just give him consistency and let him play instinctually and give him some fire zone work.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

TE is absolutely a premium position you spend high draft capital on because that's the point of high draft capital. Goons have this weird obsession with only taking certain positions in the top 10 ignoring all the times they bust or are reaches or that they don't turn a team around. Then they link redrafts taking those same 'non premium' positions high because they had great careers. You wouldn't spend a top 25 pick on Rob Gronkowski in the 2010 draft? You'd really fault a team for taking him over Tyson Alualu?

Tight ends are categorically less productive than wide receivers, and I think that's something that has to be taken into consideration. The best all-time year for a TE is barely in the top 100 for WRs, and your median performance is probably an even bigger gap. Even if you corrected for the pass protection snaps a TE takes that a WR doesn't, there's still a fairly large discrepancy there. If you're talking a 1st round TE, you're looking at a likely production that would likely be at least a mild disappointment from a similarly drafted WR.

I'm sympathetic to the argument that a TE is different, and gives your offense benefits beyond direct production, but how exactly do you quantify that? The blocking of the upper tier of TEs is largely pedestrian, I'm not sure that's a great value proposition(and even among the exceptions I think it's highly situational). There's a difference in concepts, the stresses it puts on defenses, an argument to be made about them always being on the field... but I'm not sure that's exclusive to highly productive or athletic tight ends, either. Is a lot of that stuff also true of a Dalton Schultz, a physically unremarkable, relatively cheap player who generates pretty much all the same stuff besides the top-end yardage of a WR?

Some of these guys are really more nominally tight ends at this point- they're really just wide receivers. You've got Kyle Pitts lining up like 15% of his snaps in-line at this point. I think you can make an argument he's functionally less of a TE than like, a Rams slot receiver, who is lining up at least that tight to the OT, and in a lot of cases is a better blocker against the slot CB who is dragged into the box and being given a gap than Pitts is against whoever he's matching against.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

QBs are targeting their TEs more than ever. Kelce produced 152 targets last year putting him in the top 10 for receiving with the highest catch % out of all those in the top 10. Ignoring those numbers, his effect on the field stretching those defenses was invaluable for an offense that won a Super Bowl. Goff just threw 120 passes at LaPorta this year. Njoku, Hockenson, Engram, they all saw heavy targets that beat out many #1 WRs this year outproducing them too. We're not in the era anymore where TEs get targeted 4 times a game at most. Tons more Tony Gonzalez's running around making offenses by themselves just because the NFL fits them right now.

Ok, but even then the production isn’t on par with a top receiver. You’ve got elite tight ends giving you what, a good year of Jarvis Landry being about the best you can hope for. That’s not what you’d be happy with from a comparable receiver.

Doltos posted:

You can sort of quantify it if you look at stupid PFF grades but a better way to do it is just watch them. Kittle, LaPorta, Ferguson, and Goedert are all plus blockers that spring really good runs consistently with their edge sealing. I'd argue that LaPorta's blocking would make him more valuable than any rookie receiver besides Nacua this year.

We’re talking about first round guys, or even high first rounders. You do bring up name that I think illustrated a good point, though- I would argue that TE blocking is a lot more specialized and situational than people really appreciate and that goes completely in the wash with the upper round guys. Take George Kittle- one of the best performing blockers in the NFL- but his skill set at doing it is very specific. I would argue that Kittle would be absolutely wasted as a blocker outside of a wide zone team. He’s great at movement, at torquing a guy moving laterally off of his feet, jockeying for position while keeping his feet moving. He’s downright bad at traditional gap stuff, he’s just undersized and underpowered as his best hope is to try to play positional games and try to turn a guy, which he really can’t do that well against guys outside of his weight class on the edge.

If we’re talking say, a scenario where the Jim Harbaugh Chargers draft Brock Bowers… what’s that going to look like? Probably poo poo, from a run blocking standpoint, but it’ll be something that gets glossed over based on the receiving potential.

Doltos posted:

Tight Ends lining up in the slot aren't a knock to the position. It's a result of pass oriented offenses trending up over the past decade. If anything we're going to see the TE position increase in value as TE routes typically attack the split field concept defenses are running and somewhat cover 0 since they can beat safeties playing close to the line with their size. Pitts lining up in the slot this year was also probably in response to them using him tight to the line all during the 2022 season to make up for their lovely o-line. He's always been a big WR threat but he proved his blocking pretty well last year so I don't really know why that's a knock. If anything that makes their offense more complex once they get a competent coach that can use him in both regards.

It’s a negative from the standpoint of them contributing the “unique” stuff the position gives you vs a WR.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 18, 2024

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

I think he had a great game that I'm showing and is a really good center but trying to sell him as a space blocker isn't the greatest thing. He gets out there but he doesn't have the awareness or the ability to turn. I called him immobile earlier which is a bit harsh. I think the better thing to say is he can get out there but he's not very good at it. He's a bit iffy on A gap blitzes too which I think shows when he blocks in space. He needs to be better at identifying the correct block to make. He also gets backed up on really strong bull rushes because he has a tendency to stand up too high looking for a blocker or blocking the first person he sees. Other than that he's all you want in a center. Very good bend, strong, good help blocker, plays hard. When you send him into the second level up the middle he can demolish because it asks less of him from a football IQ point of view. I don't think he'd be as effective as a guard until he learns the game better. I could see him maybe becoming a good person to pull to the outside on off tackle plays but you'd probably have to use him as a drive blocker instead of someone who turns up field in front of a runner. Luckily I think a lot of NFL teams have been moving towards centers being set and drive or hitting the B gap on pull plays. Frank Ragnow, Linderbaum, Linsley, Humphrey, Pocic, Ben Jones, they all play like that.

I see people wanting to compare him to Ragnow because that’s the best example of a big powerful center, but Ragnow is also has better speed and explosion than all but a handful of guys.

The guy JPJ really reminds me of is Richie Incognito, not an awful athlete for a guy built like that but more strong and tenacious and definitely not a wide zone guy

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2024

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

What do we think about T'Vondre Sweat's ability to contribute something as a pass rusher?

He clearly isn't like a Dexter Lawrence or Vita Vea who are still good athletes at a huge size, but he seems like he's at least going to have the ability to bully undersized/underpowered guys consistently and I don't think you rule out him developing some moves. He's got a swim move, he's pretty good with making contact with one arm and keeping the second free. His lateral movement is probably going to limit him there, but it seems like there's something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Dexo posted:

tbf I don't think Mac Jones was particularly good his rookie season. Extremely overrated if you actually like watched him.
My thoughts generally are I think a great QB within 3-4 years will shine or be above average -> good regardless of situation.

I think you can make pretty much any decent like ~20-25ish QB have a mac jones/Gardner Minshew type season if you do put them in great circumstances, with a great system, that minimizes their weaknesses, and be a solid fringe playoff team. But like that's roughly the ceiling, unless you just loving assemble an allstar team of a roster around them.

It's workable, and it's a choice, but personally it's not what I am seeking with a QB.

Josh McDaniels did a really good job coaching him into being a small-ball QB. That plus power running and a good defense is going to make him look different than he actually was.