Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1745856413711352017

This is the funniest possible outcome.

I would never stop laughing if in order to avoid the Bears this dude goes into the supplemental draft lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't the NFL change the supp draft rules a while back precisely to prevent this scenario

Sorta.

The NFL has the ability to deny entry into the Supplemental Draft.

I'm assuming if Caleb did this type of fuckery the shield would not let him into it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Draft dudes you think are going to be good fits for your team.

If you are a team that doesn't use the TE except as a blocker or checkdown option, then yeah, don't draft the TE top 10.

If you are a team that is going to properly use them and relies on them and their versatility in the passing and run game, if your scouting has him as a top of the draft level talent, then draft him, draft value maximization be damned.

You aren't drafting to maximize Draft grades, and get the best value. You are drafting to find the best players for your team.

Value Maximization is like a useful goal, as more shots = more hits on players. But at the end of the day, no one gives a poo poo past like the week after the draft if the person or people you drafted is a dude. Word to the Lions.

Just don't be wrong because then that is all you will ever hear....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think MHJ is exactly one head and shoulder above Nabers.

I think they have roughly similar ceilings, but MHJ's technique and floor is so far beyond what I see in most top prospect receivers.

Nabers can get there but MHJ is like already there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Caleb is weird, because like a number of Bears fans look at him, and his stuff like TTT, Sack numbers and Fumbles, and unwillingness to throw over the middle and think he's Fields again. Myself included for a while a bit there as I was more interested in Maye, maybe I'm just talking myself into him since that seems to be the way the Wind is blowing. But even removing his "highlights", I still see a QB who like definitely can play within structure, and make on time throws and reads, but like too often maybe because his team was rear end and he knew he had to score to win decides to say "gently caress it we ball". It works well enough in college, but he's not so much of a better athlete than other NFL players.

God it'd be a fascinating interview to break down his tape and work through his thought process, in some of these games.

But yeah this year at USC Caleb had like Tahj Washington, and that's pretty much it. Brenden Rice was okay.

But like none of them are top 10 WR's in this class(albeit a loving yoked up and stacked WR class), although I guess I could hear a case for Tahj being top 10 over like Mitchell, or Legette.

I don't know anymore, after I just so clearly missed and disregarded Fields flaws coming out as him just big play hunting(even before the Bears drafted him he was my QB2 that Draft had him just a touch below Lawrence was shocked he fell that far). I guess the difference is that Caleb was forced to drop back 30-40 times a game, while Fields only had to do so generally 25 or so times, and throw bombs off play action to Olave/Wilson while being protected by an NFL offensive line in college.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

you could do all of that or you could just say that Williams will fail if he is drafted by the bears because bears and save yourself the time.

I mean probably, but if I just think like that why in gods name would I keep watching Bears football.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

still feels like if teams can be ok with the injury history Penix will go somewhere in the first. just too many qb needy teams

Penix barring terrible medicals is going to go probably somewhere between 8-11.

Either Atlanta, Minny or a team jumping up infront of Minny is going to take him.

Minnesota is thirsty as gently caress for a QB. Penix is by far going to be their best chance to get a decent prospect without mortgaging their future(which they tried to do last year for Richardson) I cannot see Penix getting past Minnesota.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Anyone want pick 5

We're open for business

If NE passes on Daniels, and takes MHJr.

some team is going to make it rain on the Cardinals or Chargers to Jump the Giants for Jayden Daniels I have to imagine.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t see New England doing that even if Kraft does seem sympathetic to Mac

Oh, yeah, I don't think it happens, but it's within my parameters of being a defensible pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/CJVogel_OTF/status/1752773314509001153?s=20

Yeah 55 might not be built for this. Go back and learn accounting or how to code.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

Again that's a problem with senior bowl 1 on 1 matchups. Sweat is 6'4 360. There's no way in hell that a college OL is big enough to block that 1 on 1. Even in the NFL Sweat will probably be getting double teams just because of his size. OGs shade inside against NTs for a reason.

I mean yes, but it is very very funny

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah the thing about Running backs is that you should feel free to draft the good elite ones high, you just don't pay them a second contract.

People conflate not paying X with not drafting one high.

Gibbs was worth that draft pick. Bijan was assassinated by his coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Am I losing my mind

Why are people putting Jayden Daniels over Maye as a prospect.

Am I missing something about Maye?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alaois posted:

do you really want Mitch Trubisky Again

Mitch was a one year wonder, and Drake Maye has two years better than Mitch's one year wonder year.

Also there is a pretty pretty massive tape difference between the two, only thing similar is that they are athletic white dudes, and wore the same logo on their uniforms

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I dunno man. While not a protagonists name. Drake Maye extremely sounds like the antagonist team's quarterback who is good but an rear end in a top hat with an lovely haircut in a sports movie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I like JJ and wouldn't be against taking him if I was some team in like the late first who could sit him for 2 years. Like the Rams or something.

But woof taking him in the top 10-12

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you sit him for two years you're wasting two seasons of his rookie deal. Anybody who needs to sit for that long just isn't that good of a prospect.

For any prospect other than QB, sure.

For a QB. I extremely disagree. That position is too important that if you think someone has the "thing" to play it at the NFL level but does have some things they need to clean up and fix with bench time while a vet plays.

The rookie contract stuff is a cool bonus. But like what's more important is finding that dude.

Not to mention that by drafting him in the first vs drafting one in the second and later you get an extra year of cheap control.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The QB on a rookie deal poo poo is stuff the Bears are going through right now.

And it's been infuriating and a copout.

When people go on about resetting the QB contract and the value of a QB on a rookie deal all they are saying is that they don't think the current QB is worth paying, but trying to be nice and not wanting to say on wax that the current QB just hasn't been good enough to pay. Which is actually what's going on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mahomes?

I guess Mahomes played a garbage time game, but that's within the spirit of sitting imo.

It's usually because Teams do not have the institutional constitution to actually realize it means you might need to sign a vet backup, and have 3 qb's on the roster, or to withstand fan and ownership pressure, if things aren't going well with the starter.

Also not playing in year one due to injury is a bit different.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Actually, adjusting it.

It's less that you have to be willing to sit them, it's more if you do start them, you have to have the leeway from management and ownership to be willing to not win, and let them make mistakes and find their limits. While continuing to drill in process over results. With QB's who need like mechanical adjustments or other things that they would get benefits from sitting and just reworking things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1757400317774205331

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nosre posted:

J.J. McCarthy in the first is not going to be seen as a big overdraft by the time it rolls around apparently (he's at #24 there)

I would take JJ in the Late First if I was a team that wanted him even if I had him as a second round grade

Extra year of control would be nice for someone like him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

He's gonna go top 15. Maybe top 10.

please god let him go top 10 makes it more likely Odunze/Nabers falls to 9

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://x.com/TheDestinAdams/status/1757868993900089413

:sickos:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I still just don't see JJ going before the 3rd.

Also thanks for the recs for the small school guys to look into.

I would be shocked if JJ didn't go in the 1st round.

Like Legitimately shocked. I think the top 10 thing is blowing smoke obviously, maybe like the Chargers/Falcons/Bears trying to bait teams into trading up for him or something dumb.

But I do see some team taking him if he does fall into the 20s.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

I could see him going in the first round whether he's deserving of it or not, but I think if he slips past 20 he's slipping to day 2. The Steelers are pretty much the last team in the order who could draft him without creating major friction in the locker room - even teams looking to trade up for him can probably afford to wait for the second round.

JJ is someone who if I was willing to take him in the early parts of Day 2, I would try to trade up into Day 1 to take him, since I'd plan on burning one year, and would want the 5th year option.

Also you could probably try and finesse a trade back and pick him if it does look like he's falling that far.

I mean Rams at 19 make a decent amount of sense.

Arizona if I squint, could probably get away with it. Although they have so many other needs I wouldn't do it

Seahawks perhaps.

Buccaneers maybe if something weird happens with Baker.

Pending Free Agency, or other aggressive trades I really don't see him falling past the Vikings/Saints/Oakland/Broncos

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 15, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

0.000001% chance that Arizona or LA (Rams) draft JJ.

Arizona has Kyler who is very good and also young-ish. They have extra draft capital and an opportunity to get one of the best wr prospects in recent history. They are in a prime position to really boost their offensive talent in one offseason.

Rams made the playoffs with a roster full of UDFAs and late rounders. Matt Stafford still has it. Matt was playing at an elite level and his only issue is health. Their main offensive issue is offensive line and this draft is chock full of talent.

Both teams have great qbs, both teams have decent draft capital, and both teams are expected to have a lot of free agency cap space.

JJ ain’t going to either of them.

Rams would be a Stafford succession plan.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Packers were laughed at for doing something similar, and welp.

It depends on what your evaluation is of JJ if he's worth it or not.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Man, people are really ready to crown Love based on a sample size of what, 11 games? They literally turned down his fifth-year option and are going to have to pay him star QB money that much sooner as a result!

Again, unless they already know internally that Stafford is planning to retire after one more year, maybe two, it's ridiculous for their short-term competitiveness for them to take a QB at 19. They should perhaps consider taking a defensive player worth a drat, since they don't currently have any not named Aaron Donald.

Love was uh like the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the league during that stretch of 11 games. I'm curious to see what happens once DC's crunch tape on the Packers to counter him, but it's probably pretty safe to at least start prepping the coronation ceremony to crown his rear end.

This pains me so goddamn much to say.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Parallax posted:

Love might end up being great, but was it worth it to draft a successor over a WR or another offensive piece for your MVP QB? Is it possible they could have won another super bowl with Rodgers if they had done so?

probably not that defense was obscenely bad, and had a poo poo ton of top draft picks, on it.

Offense wasn't really the problem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KryzivenTake2/status/1758206281976873220

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

You mean the dude who was the back to back MVP?

That man doesn't tell his rookie recievers his secret hand signals.

Tee Higgins makes a mistake, and he's never getting a ball thrown his way again.

Ask Christian Watson.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He threw a bunch to Allen Lazard, because he had to. He’d have thrown to Tee Higgins if he’d been there.

Allen Lazard is his trusted vet and blanket. He will never not throw to Lazard. He will make your team sign Allen Lazard despite him being sorta cooked, and you having far better options on staff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Eh, we both know the draft has been littered with guys who tried to coast at the NFL level who were drafted high that coaching staffs and front offices thought they could motivate and there's a whole lot of guys who were too small or too slow who ended up hall of famers.

There are not actually that many guys who were too small or too slow, who end up hall of famers lol.

Like there are maybe people who are like a couple percentage points lower than optimal in like arm length or burst speed who made up for it with instinct and tryhardyness , but were not actually too small or too slow, just not a 1% of 1% athlete.

like if a "T-Rex Arm" Tackle makes the hall, where people talk about man that dude had short arms, he's usually an insane athlete in other ways, and his "T-rex arms" amount to being like an 8th of an inch shorter than the "given standard" minimum.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I like to do, as far as like things more related to a player's mental/technique than pure physical.

Watching someone's growth is cool, or watching something and wishing you could talk to the player, as to why something got worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here is Bryce standing next to an actual 5’10” QB

look at the types of shoes they are wearing.

Kyler has Foams with decent lift on them, Bryce is in slides.

They are both like the same height, Kyler is just far more built.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

if we need to dock kyler an inch or so for the lifts we also need to dock bryce the same amount for his hair

I wasn't looking at the hair at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think I'm coming around on the notion of JJ McCarthy being QB3.

I was reminded, that Jim Harbaugh didn't let loving Andrew Luck throw the ball much more in college.

God his draft process is gonna be fun.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

JJ is the perfect Bears QB let’s go

Dear god no, He can stay QB 3/4 and the Vikings or Falcons can have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Accept your fate

Nah.

The one thing I haven't seen the Bears pull off is ruining the near unanimous QB1(Mitch doesn't count, Mitch was a failure in the the GM overthinking things, thinking he was smarter and not taking the QB that most people wanted in Watson) that was preordained the QB1 for like 2 years.

They've failed every other possible way at QB. I'm excited to see what happens with Williams.