Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Don't think Penix goes to Day Two, unless I'm missing something.

Old + injury history + hasn’t played as well in the second half of the year. Also depends on how many teams need QBs I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Van Dyke entered the transfer portal so presumably he’s not coming out this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know why "bad at the start of college" is a knock on players who are clearly good now. It's a lot better than the other way around and ASU was a terrible situation with Herm.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I’m about to watch this PAC12 game, are Nix and or Penix expected to be first rounders?

Probably day 2. Penix could rise but he's had an underwhelming second half of the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nosre posted:

Looking at those past lists and I had completely forgotten Jalen Carter falling to the Eagles

After getting Jordan Davis year before. What the gently caress, other teams

People keep saying this but he was involved in an incident that got a teammate killed and a lot of reports from the combine made him sound like late-career Albert Haynesworth in terms of giving a poo poo about football. He didn’t drop because of talent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The car crash is one thing, but hearing Carter talk, it's abundantly clear he grinds tape. Maybe he took some plays off, I dunno, but I have no idea where the work ethic criticism came from

I think he had a terrible workout or something. As a fan of a team that really could’ve used him he sounded like Nick Fairley 2.0.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

My memory of the C.J. Stroud discussion before the draft was that there was a ton of concern over his S2 Cognition test as he scored in the 18 percentile on it. He clearly doesn't seem to be having read processing difficulties, so I wonder if that means that the test itself isn't quite as predictive as the company makes it out to be, or if he just had a bad day.

On a completely different note, as an Iowa fan, I'm curious about how Cooper DeJean will translate to the NFL. Some draft sites list him as a viable CB prospect while others project him as a S in the NFL. Riley Moss had a little bit of that same talk around him last year, and while he's not taking a lot of snaps per game, he has split time between CB and S with the Broncos this year. Does Iowa's Cover 4 CB play just take Safety skills, but on the outermost quarter of the field maybe?

Going to assume racial bias is a factor for both of these things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nervous posted:

Magnificent. His thighs are the size of a small child.

This is after they threw him a touchdown pass in the Big 12 Championship game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Daniels quietly had an absolutely insane season but the defense was so bad a lot of people didn’t notice.

He won the Heisman so I would say it was fairly noticed. LSU just wasn’t ever in the championship picture (because of said defense).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

LOL

I don't remember that poo poo at all.

First ever College Football Playoff rankings had both Mississippi schools in the top 4. It was a wild time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Cam Ward declared for the draft, maybe another 1st round guy at QB?

He's been inconsistent but also had terrible talent outside of one WR. He's also got a gorgeous deep ball

I doubt Cam goes in the first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

I would recommend watching the games.

Yeah it's the playoff. Every team has a bunch of NFL dudes. Likely first/second round guys include Kris Jenkins Jr., Kool-Aid McKinstry, Dallas Turner, Michael Penix, Rome Odunze, T'Vondre Sweat, the UW left tackle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

as an FSU fan i would not recommend watching the bama game. gently caress ESPN & the CFP committee

No? I assume he got like a 2nd round or better grade to forgo what was a ton of money being offered if he stayed in college.

I think it's more likely he doesn't think his stock is going to improve much so he might as well make the jump. He was in the portal for a while before making this decision.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

MHJ sitting out and Rome being an absolute dawg should make for some interesting takes in the lead up to the draft. I can’t see Rome jumping him if only because of Reggie Williams.

I think it's more that MHJ is one of the best all around prospects in the last decade than teams being discouraged that someone from the same school busted 20 years ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Brushes his teeth left handed to stimulate alpha brainwaves

That was the stupidest poo poo I've ever heard announcers gush about.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The team is also losing a ton of production so he would probably look worse regardless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sweat falling to the Lions is my dream!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's Big Ten All-Time Passing Leader Taulia Tagovailoa to you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Burrow also won a natty QBing the best team ever as opposed to dragging them to 9-3, and he had the narrative of going from utter mediocrity to the greatest passing season in college football history. That latter part is also probably more appealing to scouts even though Daniels' dual threat nature is obviously huge.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What are the chances career Fun College Guys like Jalon Daniels and KJ Jefferson rise above like the fifth round? The former obviously has horrid medicals.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Matt Millen was also a terrible GM and it helped get his rear end fired.

If two of those guys hadn't been headcases they would've been good picks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Any good corners that should be available at the end of the first?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

1. Historically it is super duper rare for any qb to not go in the first.

What? People draft for QB depth in every round.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blake Corum is not a receiving back lol, he is a small and muscular short yardage demon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think if him like Deeboo at all. He's strong but nowhere near that strong. Polished route runner too. I didn't think they use St.Brown much as a rusher either.

Honestly haven't watched enough Lions games to compare their styles but they seem like very different kinds of receivers.

They ran a lot of end arounds to Amon-Ra in 2022 but not this year. He did line up at running back for one play last night and got like two yards. His main thing is just always getting open in the middle of the field and getting a shitload of YAC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Macklemore voice:

a neat cape posted:

If I was gay I would probably not enjoy getting pegged

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

luther ellis’s son is in, plays d line for the utes

Also the brother of Kaden Elliss on the Falcons. Luther has like 12 kids apparently (some are adopted).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Since AJ Green they've put out Riley Ridley, George Pickens, Malcolm Mitchell, Chris Conley, and I guess Mecole Hardman but I was perplexed that he wasn't a UDFA let alone a 2nd rounder. Dillon Bell Jr. is pretty good and made Terrion Arnold look like crap.

Adonai Mitchell will be listed as "from Texas" but is also a Georgia wideout in this year's class.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Western is in the toilet right now so I haven’t heard anything about that guy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I don't know that Coleman's 40 says anything different than the 2023 film or production numbers do. 33% ish for both contested target and catch rate.

Apparently I'm supposed to watch 2022 Coleman, where he's both consistently open and grabbing every contested catch. I don't want to though.

Under no circumstances should one watch the 2022 Michigan State offense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every really tall guy could be Jon Ogden.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Daniels put up those numbers in the SEC; Zach Wilson was styling on midmajors during the COVID year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Daniels was good in 2022 (certainly better than Burrow's 2018 although as mentioned previously that was his first starting year), just not at this level.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

What's the deal with Joe Milton? A friend of mine was talking about how he'd be a day 2 QB at worst if he had better receivers instead of solidly in day 3, so I watched some highlights and man that arm pops. Saw a couple casual flicks somehow go 50 yards in the air and a back foot throw that went like 35-40.

He sucks at everything else. He should be used for Hail Marys only.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Warren Moon was also like 28.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Indiana Penix had some real wheels

Then he got hurt all the time

I'm not sure his wheels are even gone so much as the injuries made him much more cautious and he rarely had to escape the pocket behind UW's line. Indiana's looks like a Pop Warner line in comparison. UW would occasionally call designed runs for him that looked pretty good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Penix is a former dual threat guy and he just ran like a 4.45 or something, so theoretically he could be used as one in the pros while Rivers was always a pylon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Geno is a decent comp for Penix tbh. Down to the inexplicably fast 40 time that does not at all reflect how they actually play

Geno is a guy who was recruited to the school that had just produced Pat White a couple of years earlier so it makes sense that he can move, but they had basically had gone Air Raid by the time he was playing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

The real clickbait juice is La Canfora projecting six QBs in round one, including JJ at 2:

1. Caleb Williams, Chicago
2. JJ McCarthy, Washington
3. Jayden Daniels, Giants
4, Drake Maye, Vikings
13. Michael Penix Jr., Las Vegas
30. Bo Nix, Denver

Why would the Patriots trade out of there? Are they getting Daniel Jones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

The belief being the Patriots, front office not wanting to put a rookie QB, especially if they lets say don't have QB3 or QB2 as high on their board. Behind that roster and potentially torch a year of development.

Jacoby Brissett can hold down the fort for a year, while they continue to build a decent landing spot. The Patriots Roster is loving diiiiiiiiire in a way that even like the Texans weren't(they had some dudes on the line and Nico Collins).

If you believe the QB can be like THE GUY™ then sure draft him and you figure it out, but if you just sorta like them but don't have them that high on your board, trade back get a poo poo ton of players, and figure out QB as you go.

It just depends on what the Patriots think about like Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels or JJ McCarthy, who's there and if they are worth taking at 3.

Considering the GM, my guess is if Maye is there the Pats are going to take him, as Drake Maye seems extremely like a Wolfe guy. Fix his lazy footwork, to eliminate some of the welp throws and boom.

OK, makes sense I guess. I forgot they even brought Brissett back.