Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Hi everyone, hoo boy online dating is a minefield these days, am I right?

Anyway, I'm putting together an online dating profile and just want to make sure that I'm doing enough to look interesting without potentially alienating anyone willing to have sex with me. Here's what I've got so far. I'd welcome any feedback.

Hobbies:

I'll say that I enjoy hiking, obviously. I think it'd cover a lot of bases to say that I enjoy reading, but I also don't want to sound like a nerd... who is a cool author to pretend to like? I was thinking of Hunter S. Thompson, but I don't want to sound like a druggy, or alienate anyone who likes Richard Nixon. Haruki Murakami, maybe? Too exotic?

Other possibilities for hobbies: windsurfing (too intimidating? Also, I don't actually know how to do this), knitting (too twee?), cooking desserts (makes me sound like a fatass?).

Personality:

I think I've already got down most of the sexually appealing adjectives to describe myself: brooding, creative, virile, helpful, lithe... any I've missed?

Films:

Everyone like films, but which ones are most likely to make me look interesting enough to sleep with? Chirstopher Nolan's films are great for film nerds, but I don't think anyone else going to jump my bones after watching "The Dark Knight" or that other one he did. Maybe pretending to like French cinema is a safe bet? But I don't want to be stuck there reading subtitles for two hours if they actually like that poo poo. Star Wars is right out, obviously. Are there any avante-garde films I can say I've watched that'll still get me gently caress points with the normies?

The Israel / Palestine Conflict:

Having some trouble with this one. I initially wrote how sad the whole situation made me feel and that I hoped for a fair fight, but I'm not sure if these sorts of common-sense solutions are considered particularly sexy these days. Maybe I should just muse about how hosed up the world is for a couple of paragraphs to cover all bases? Might give me the chance to address the whole Ukraine debacle while I'm at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU