Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I am taking a class in anti-money laundering for my accounting degree and I am frustrated by the default entrenched presumptions that the US state department, US treasury department, the IMF, and World Bank are even remotely the good guys. I have to write a report about money laundering and terrorist financing in Argentina and I felt I had to point out that international institutions (who are really just arms of the US's global liberal hegemony) condemning Argentina for money laundering and terrorist financing never seemed to mind any of those activities when Argentina had a military junta. I said that rather than it being the responsibility of Argentina to help the US, that perhaps the US should refrain from engaging in terrorist financing. I also pointed out when it comes to money laundering that there is generally a matching transaction in the imperial core and maybe that is what should be investigated. Also if the US and Europe have such a problem with people selling cocaine they should probably refrain from buying so much cocaine.

FATF had Argentina on the grey list for a few years until a "center right" person became president. I don't have much of an opinion at all on Argentina's current president but the IMF/WB/et al don't like him very much and regard him as "corrupt" and whether or not that is true doesn't matter much because they call everyone corrupt who doesn't align with neoliberalism. They talk about paying off debt like it is a college kid with a credit card who bought an Xbox and not a colonial relationship where debt is used to discipline and a core part of the global political economy is keeping the goods from these country's flowing and therefore their economy is subject to volatility as commodity prices ebb and flow without the money ever going back to the workers.

"What advice would you give to Argentina about how they could change their laws" I don't think Americans should have any voice at all in the governance of Argentina as Henry Kissinger already did enough damage by supporting the fascist government that would have thrown someone like me from a helicopter.

I also feel that the term "terrorist financing" is racially and politically loaded and really just comes down to the US hegemony designating its enemy's resistance as illegitimate. The US designates all attacks on US military personnel as "terrorism" when that should not be true by definition.

Also stopping Iran from having a nuke is certainly a goal that the US has but Iran has every reason to want one as it would discourage US meddling. You could say that Iran's government is run by crazy people but the US has more nukes than anybody and we elected Donald Trump. We're also the only country to ever actually use a nuke. Other countries shouldn't be coerced into fighting our battles for us. The sanctions that these "anti-money laundering" efforts are meant to enforce are a crime against the civilian populations of sanctioned countries. It's actually not good to go after people for violating sanctions. I got scowled at for asking a guest speaker why the US gets to make all the rules and why it is bad to sell consumer goods to Iranian consumers. These NGOs and Europe and such are arms of US hegemony. I got a textbook response that Iran wants to kill Jews in Israel.

I just hate all these embedded assumptions. I'm told that I am not being objective, that I need to come at these things from the center if I want to be taken seriously, as if centrism or neoliberalism are not themselves ideologies. I don't believe there can be such a thing as objectivity on these questions. Ideology is inescapable. We can't be neutral. We are on a moving train.

Oh we all got different countries assigned to us randomly. I have no feelings one way or another on Argentina specifically. Someone else got Saudi Arabia, I would have a whole lot to say about that.

Zoeb has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
even creationists can pass biology

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

thats all true but you will never, ever, ever have any influence over AML and OFAC and all the rest, you either obey them or risk prison. just memorize that poo poo like the multiplication table imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
you ever roleplayed before

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Lpzie posted:

That is a good point.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Just think of this as practice for navigating the vastly less nuanced views of your future employers

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

hosed up that they put capitalism in your accounting degree 😤

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

Best Friends posted:

that’s all true but you will never, ever, ever have any influence over AML and OFAC and all the rest, you either obey them or risk prison. just memorize that poo poo like the multiplication table imo

Pretty much this right here. I worked at a bank a few years ago and one of the major things they drill in your head multiple times a year is compliance courses to reinforce knowing which countries are 'the bad guy OFAC banned countries where any money sent to a resident there will go directly to funding terrorism'.

One of my most vivid memories of the job was getting a complaint from someone who wanted to send money to their relatives in Iran to help out during the early days of Covid, but was blocked from sending a wire transfer to them. It was my first exposure to dealing with OFAC directly and all I could really do was go through the process of telling them 'sorry I know you want to help your family but they live in an American banned nation so there's nothing I can do to assist' with no way to override policy, since approving the transaction would have to go through management, which would instantly be shut down for attempting to send funds to a banned state, followed by potential investigations into my decision to override for having a moral compass that believes 'hey maybe these regulations are hosed up and this person just wants to help their family'.

It's a dogshit system but there's nothing you can do but bow your head and repeat their bullshit justifications verbatim, since the alternative is a firing in the best scenario, and jail time in the rest. Unfortunately if you get in the field, the most you can really do is accept that having the position that the laws are hosed puts you in the rare percentile of people with a conscience working in finance, but you have zero power to change how the regulations work, and that the rest of the people you work with probably believe the same bullshit justification that OFAC and anti money laundering laws are there to "protect American freedom against evil states that want to fund evil".

It's only the tip of the iceberg too, since if you get in the field, you'll run into equally hosed laws like 'know your customer' regulations stemmed from the PATRIOT ACT that pretty much only exist to gently caress over undocumented citizens. Only real remedy for this is to not work in finance OP.

RHase has issued a correction as of 09:57 on Nov 19, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
does wow gold still work

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
zoeb ask your professor the current ways to get around the terrorist financing regulations so you can be on the lookout for it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
you're going to be an accountant, best to start lying now so you can get used to it

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Punished Turtle posted:

hosed up that they put capitalism in your accounting degree 😤

I know right? Honestly I really just wanted a job where I can sit down. I have a hard time standing up all day because of my back and knees and weight. Can't even work at Lowe's if you can't stand up all day.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its accounting, not held to accounting

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
okay now im leaning back toward bit

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Soiled Meat
The TA preread my paper and stood up to clap

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Is it too late to change?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

have you considered living in the woods and throwing nail bombs at deer

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

are you majoring in accounting, or philosophy of accounting?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cumpantry posted:

are you majoring in accounting, or philosophy of accounting?

this would be an interesting lecture

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Philosophy of actuarial neurolinguistics week 3: we will be exploring the influence of Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, in the context of cognitive processes relating to legal language and the abstraction of numerical information.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
My teacher is pretty cool

So far he has proof that not only is he the great grandson of the man who invented coca-cola, but he has met the man with the gun in the famous exacution picture you guys seem to love to photoshop.
Tomorrow I will try and get his picture scanned that he has of him and the dude with the gun.
Do you know anyone famous by one degree?

Nov 19, 2023
*is part of the .01% attending university in the year 2023*

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Zoeb posted:

I am taking a class in anti-money laundering for my accounting degree and I am frustrated by the default entrenched presumptions that the US state department, US treasury department, the IMF, and World Bank are even remotely the good guys. I have to write a report about money laundering and terrorist financing in Argentina and I felt I had to point out that international institutions (who are really just arms of the US's global liberal hegemony) condemning Argentina for money laundering and terrorist financing never seemed to mind any of those activities when Argentina had a military junta. I said that rather than it being the responsibility of Argentina to help the US, that perhaps the US should refrain from engaging in terrorist financing. I also pointed out when it comes to money laundering that there is generally a matching transaction in the imperial core and maybe that is what should be investigated. Also if the US and Europe have such a problem with people selling cocaine they should probably refrain from buying so much cocaine.

FATF had Argentina on the grey list for a few years until a "center right" person became president. I don't have much of an opinion at all on Argentina's current president but the IMF/WB/et al don't like him very much and regard him as "corrupt" and whether or not that is true doesn't matter much because they call everyone corrupt who doesn't align with neoliberalism. They talk about paying off debt like it is a college kid with a credit card who bought an Xbox and not a colonial relationship where debt is used to discipline and a core part of the global political economy is keeping the goods from these country's flowing and therefore their economy is subject to volatility as commodity prices ebb and flow without the money ever going back to the workers.

"What advice would you give to Argentina about how they could change their laws" I don't think Americans should have any voice at all in the governance of Argentina as Henry Kissinger already did enough damage by supporting the fascist government that would have thrown someone like me from a helicopter.

I also feel that the term "terrorist financing" is racially and politically loaded and really just comes down to the US hegemony designating its enemy's resistance as illegitimate. The US designates all attacks on US military personnel as "terrorism" when that should not be true by definition.

Also stopping Iran from having a nuke is certainly a goal that the US has but Iran has every reason to want one as it would discourage US meddling. You could say that Iran's government is run by crazy people but the US has more nukes than anybody and we elected Donald Trump. We're also the only country to ever actually use a nuke. Other countries shouldn't be coerced into fighting our battles for us. The sanctions that these "anti-money laundering" efforts are meant to enforce are a crime against the civilian populations of sanctioned countries. It's actually not good to go after people for violating sanctions. I got scowled at for asking a guest speaker why the US gets to make all the rules and why it is bad to sell consumer goods to Iranian consumers. These NGOs and Europe and such are arms of US hegemony. I got a textbook response that Iran wants to kill Jews in Israel.

I just hate all these embedded assumptions. I'm told that I am not being objective, that I need to come at these things from the center if I want to be taken seriously, as if centrism or neoliberalism are not themselves ideologies. I don't believe there can be such a thing as objectivity on these questions. Ideology is inescapable. We can't be neutral. We are on a moving train.

Oh we all got different countries assigned to us randomly. I have no feelings one way or another on Argentina specifically. Someone else got Saudi Arabia, I would have a whole lot to say about that.

didnt read

RHase posted:

Pretty much this right here. I worked at a bank a few years ago and one of the major things they drill in your head multiple times a year is compliance courses to reinforce knowing which countries are 'the bad guy OFAC banned countries where any money sent to a resident there will go directly to funding terrorism'.

One of my most vivid memories of the job was getting a complaint from someone who wanted to send money to their relatives in Iran to help out during the early days of Covid, but was blocked from sending a wire transfer to them. It was my first exposure to dealing with OFAC directly and all I could really do was go through the process of telling them 'sorry I know you want to help your family but they live in an American banned nation so there's nothing I can do to assist' with no way to override policy, since approving the transaction would have to go through management, which would instantly be shut down for attempting to send funds to a banned state, followed by potential investigations into my decision to override for having a moral compass that believes 'hey maybe these regulations are hosed up and this person just wants to help their family'.

It's a dogshit system but there's nothing you can do but bow your head and repeat their bullshit justifications verbatim, since the alternative is a firing in the best scenario, and jail time in the rest. Unfortunately if you get in the field, the most you can really do is accept that having the position that the laws are hosed puts you in the rare percentile of people with a conscience working in finance, but you have zero power to change how the regulations work, and that the rest of the people you work with probably believe the same bullshit justification that OFAC and anti money laundering laws are there to "protect American freedom against evil states that want to fund evil".

It's only the tip of the iceberg too, since if you get in the field, you'll run into equally hosed laws like 'know your customer' regulations stemmed from the PATRIOT ACT that pretty much only exist to gently caress over undocumented citizens. Only real remedy for this is to not work in finance OP.

also didnt read

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

didnt read

also didnt read

so much this

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

didnt read

also didnt read

TLDR liberals bad; US hypocrites; the law is a tool of a global scale bourgeois.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Zoeb posted:

TLDR liberals bad; US hypocrites; the law is a tool of a global scale bourgeois.

you could have just posted that

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

i did. lol, this loser isn't going to get pizza at the end of the year for most accelerated reader points.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zoeb posted:

you are right and i also hope you realize that western academia is a tool of the shareholder class to control the population and reshape their perceptions into good obedient workers. poor workers distrust people with a college degree for a good reason

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Xaris posted:

you are right and i also hope you realize that western academia is a tool of the shareholder class to control the population and reshape their perceptions into good obedient workers. poor workers distrust people with a college degree for a good reason

this is basically every paper i ever wrote and my professors lapped it up "lol! sooo true!" written on the cover page and everything idk what your problem is OP

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

The Saucer Hovers posted:

this is basically every paper i ever wrote and my professors lapped it up "lol! sooo true!" written on the cover page and everything idk what your problem is OP

last time I brought up something radical in class, he shrugged and said, "I don't know, I just work here."

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Zoeb posted:

debate me

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

i'll loving destroy you with my rhetoric

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Actually OP, Iran has at least one very good reason for not acquiring nuclear weapons.

Ali Khamenei posted:

We believe that besides nuclear weapons, other types of weapons of mass destruction such as chemical and biological weapons also pose a serious threat to humanity. The Iranian nation which is itself a victim of chemical weapons feels more than any other nation the danger that is caused by the production and stockpiling of such weapons and is prepared to make use of all its facilities to counter such threats. We consider the use of such weapons as haraam and believe that it is everyone's duty to make efforts to secure humanity against this great disaster.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

My teacher is pretty cool

So far he has proof that not only is he the great grandson of the man who invented coca-cola, but he has met the man with the gun in the famous exacution picture you guys seem to love to photoshop.
Tomorrow I will try and get his picture scanned that he has of him and the dude with the gun.
Do you know anyone famous by one degree?

I know you, does that count?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Accounting is worse then a law degree tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zoeb posted:

last time I brought up something radical in class, he shrugged and said, "I don't know, I just work here."

Well he's right.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lpzie posted:

many years ago when I was working on an undergrad astronomy degree I did a research program with a young Earth creationist astronomy major. Never did figure out he reconciled them and he was a huge dork (go figure) so I avoided talking to him about anything not-work related. I looked him up a couple years ago and what do you think he does now? Some kind of TS naval intelligence work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

DickParasite posted:

many years ago when I was working on an undergrad astronomy degree I did a research program with a young Earth creationist astronomy major. Never did figure out he reconciled them and he was a huge dork (go figure) so I avoided talking to him about anything not-work related. I looked him up a couple years ago and what do you think he does now? Some kind of TS naval intelligence work.

I would gladly join the US Navy Tethered Swimmers Reserve