Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-DL3H5cBYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcl7SvcAVCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6XXC4AGFQ

https://games.mxdwn.com/news/eve-online-developers-announce-new-game/

When was Mainframe founded, and by whom?
Edit
Mainframe is an independent, venture-backed game developer founded in the spring of 2019 by 13 game industry veterans, mainly from CCP and Remedy. The studio's goal is to create the first open-world, massively multiplayer online game (MMO) built from the ground up for cloud gaming networks.

Our mission is to create a virtual world that millions will live in for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
lmao no

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
This is possible the least effort Gaming OP I've ever seen. Well done.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wow another game with photorealistic graphics where you spend sixty hours chopping down trees and skinning animals and doing all the riveting, mile-a-minute, rush-hour fun of survival crafting. I can't believe someone has come up with something so original

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

If they limit the PVP this might have a chance, otherwise there is really nothing setting this apart from the thousands of other failed sandbox mmo's.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

developers need to stop crapping out open world games where the player is intended to spend 90% of their time interlocking little hovering green rectangles to build a house that a developer interested in building an actual interesting world would've just bought off the unity store

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

quote:

With Pax Dei, we set out to create a world players can call their virtual home. And we mean it literally. The ability for each player to claim a plot in a shared world and make it their own is, we think, pretty unique in an MMO setting and very cool!

Why does everyone who makes one of these MMOs think a home plot in a shared world is unique?

Ultima Online had that. It probably wasn't even the first.

The only reason I'm even interested enough to read their site is because the game sounded like Star Wars Galaxies at release.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 22, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Attack on Princess posted:

Why does everyone who makes one of these MMOs think a home plot in a shared world is unique?

Ultima Online had that. It probably wasn't even the first.

The only reason I'm even interested enough to read their site is because the game sounds like SWG.

Not super common these days because it backfires horribly if you have too many players on the server.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Mainframe has practically zero red flags when it comes to this (for me at least). Normally something is off, but so far so good. They're also heavily funded by Twitch and Riot so that's a thing I guess.
Even if they only do a Rust style MMORPG with more persistence and more players, I think that's mostly fine. On the flipside if it ends up like EVE (social / corp wise) then that's great also.

I don't know though maybe I just find the MMORPG scene to be in such shambles I find it endlessly hilarious to just gaslight new dev teams that are incredibly worried about giving off a bad first impression on being more woke, or favoring streamers, not being transparent enough. They always knee-jerk heavily and put out PR posts as a way to douse flames that aren't even there.

Also this OP is trash, what the gently caress is this.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 24, 2023

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

hobocrunch posted:

Mainframe has practically zero red flags when it comes to this (for me at least). Normally something is off, but so far so good. They're also heavily funded by Twitch and Riot so that's a thing I guess.
Even if they only do a Rust style MMORPG with more persistence and more players, I think that's mostly fine. On the flipside if it ends up like EVE (social / corp wise) then that's great also.

I don't know though maybe I just find the MMORPG scene to be in such shambles I find it endlessly hilarious to just gaslight new dev teams that are incredibly worried about giving off a bad first impression on being more woke, or favoring streamers, not being transparent enough. They always knee-jerk heavily and put out PR posts as a way to douse flames that aren't even there.

I know that nobody is asking for my opinion on this, but here are my thoughts:

I am a former MMO game developer and I've played EVE of and on for years, and I can tell you right now I've got about zero desire to play a traditional 1st/3rd person MMORPG with the same type of unrestricted PVP or in depth "industry" that you find in EVE.

Basically, people have tried to replicate the "EVE" formula in games like this for years and it has never worked; I think you really need the science fiction genre with non-twitch spaceship combat gameplay for the EVE formula to "work," at least as well as it has for the 20 years for EVE online.

I also think you kind of need that genre if you want to do a photo realistic art style, otherwise poo poo won't work on 2/3rds of the PCs on the market.

It is like people have learned zero lessons from the EQ2 launch, from WoW, or from the myriad of other games that tried to squeeze EVE's formula into a more "traditional" type of MMORPG; and ALL of this commentary is leaving out the complete over saturation of the market with "survival" type games.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think a project like this has a chance in hell of success in the MMORPG marketplace circa 2024.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 25, 2023

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Heh thank gently caress for those pesky brackets.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is this game supposed to have any narrative or pve content at all?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Frog Act posted:

You would imagine if it's being marketed as an MMORPG; however, maybe they're being extra edgy by calling yet another survival sim with pvp call itself an MMORPG...

Though other games have tried that and it hasn't been an exactly resounding success for them.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Frog Act posted:

It's supposed to be like that vague style of dark souls lore, and also no NPCs. So think of it like Ultima Online, but you can find items and just visually see the world to explain it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

hobocrunch posted:

It's supposed to be like that vague style of dark souls lore, and also no NPCs. So think of it like Ultima Online, but you can find items and just visually see the world to explain it.

UO definitely had/has NPCs.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

ZombieLenin posted:

UO definitely had/has NPCs.

Right, thank gently caress for that pesky "like"

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
Another boring resource grinder aka a second job that lets you forget your first job - just what the world needs.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

hobocrunch posted:

homie what are you talking about? who's gaslighting dev teams?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Frog Act posted:

It has PvE. The recent two-week closed alpha had some very basic dungeons, and lots of overground mobs to kill. Plus, hunting animals for meat and hides is a big part of crafting.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Paxman posted:

Plus, hunting animals for meat and hides is a big part of crafting.

wow!

hobocrunch posted:

between this nonsense and the terrible OP we're off to a good first page and I hope this game is seen through to the end because it has all the potential to make for a hell of a thread

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
How good is this game on a scale of New World to Ark: Survival Ascended?

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

aw frig aw dang it posted:

homie what are you talking about? who's gaslighting dev teams?

Thank gently caress for that pesky "I"

What is actually going on. Are you all dyslexic or loving brain damaged?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Extremely normal thread here, well done everyone.

I got into the alpha for this but haven’t installed it yet. I’ve seen some random discord pings from them, maybe I’ll check out the next test.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Watched asmongold stream it a bit. The plot joining system is going to make streamer zerg clans impossible to deal with.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
So you're saying we need a goon streamer.

Seriously though. How does plot joining work? I get the zerg issue, but combining land could easily be abused by trial accounts or whales too if they don't do it right.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 28, 2023

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I got a friend token from someone here, you can add “average-breezy-dinner” to squad up.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
this op is how i feel about gaming these days. poetic.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

pax deiz nuts

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

ZombieLenin posted:

Basically, people have tried to replicate the "EVE" formula in games like this for years and it has never worked; I think you really need the science fiction genre with non-twitch spaceship combat gameplay for the EVE formula to "work," at least as well as it has for the 20 years for EVE online.
Pretty sure Albion works.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All 15 people playing it likely agree

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

SoJ57261 posted:

Pretty sure Albion works.

Albion is not exactly the same as eve, but it does borrow a lot from it; however there are significant differences like the XP grind and the fact it is sharded.

Of course your definition of "works" may vary.

If you look Albion's population numbers and compare it to Eve's population numbers, you can see there is a huge difference in population. There are roughly 4x more people playing Eve on any given day than are playing Albion.

Furthermore, CCP was able to generate significant population growth during its first 6 years of Eve's existence, while Albion has seen a year over year decline.

In addition Eve generated $56m in revenue in 2022 (CCP has beaten that by about $5m this year) versus Albion's 6 million in 2022--so CCP is generating approximately 10x the revenue as Sandbox Interactive does from Albion.

So, yeah, sure. Albion tried to copy Eve in a traditional fantasy MMO format, and its servers haven't shut down yet; however, I would hardly call Albion a thriving success... and the list of open world full loot pvp MMOs that have failed is incredibly long.

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009
Anyone got any clans going?

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Ignoring the warnings from my friends about venture backed MMO's always failing i was hyped for this game and after playing it for 5 hours today I have zero interest in following it further

this is criticism based off their plans to go into early access soon

-Crafting is tedious, a little RNG mini-game every time you craft something, you can also fail this rng mini-game
-Takes way too long to craft basic stuff, smelting metal takes an hour for 20, and you need 80 charcoal which with one kiln takes 80 minutes, which isn't even a full set of gear to kill wolves with
-Stack sizes are abysmal, crafting 8 rawhide at a time and it having a max stack of 5 for some reason? Everything has super low stack sizes and inventory space is very limited
-Combat is excruciatingly boring and just left click spam
-World seems to be massive amounts of empty space reminiscent of crowfall(lol and lmao how that turned out)
-There's a ton of different resources which is great but small stack size and limited inventory had me throwing a lot of it out
-Recipe unlocks spammed at you without any indication where or how its crafted
-Cant remap keys for some reason
-Everyone is crammed into building by waterways since you need a lot of clay to build any sizeable structure(once again small inventory and stack size make this a pain)

The op is great for this game, really reflects the thought and work that went into the actual game, bravo.

I've learnt my lesson, no more venture backed MMORPG's

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

ZombieLenin posted:

If you look Albion's population numbers and compare it to Eve's population numbers, you can see there is a huge difference in population. There are roughly 4x more people playing Eve on any given day than are playing Albion.

Okay, but how many of those EVE players are just alts and one guy's 47 multibox high-sec mining operation? :colbert:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

SweetBro posted:

Okay, but how many of those EVE players are just alts and one guy's 47 multibox high-sec mining operation? :colbert:

To be true, we had guys back years ago playing EvE like an RTS instead of a first person game.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

PyRosflam posted:

To be true, we had guys back years ago playing EvE like an RTS instead of a first person game.

I used to "play" Eve as a means of generating funds to buy experimental Russian Benzos. A Juice generating machine if you will.
I did not end well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Can’t wait for another spiritual successor to Insert_Game_Here to crash and burn because a dev team is so in love with what they played as teenagers they fail to understand why the market has moved on.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Trying to replicate eve outside of a space environment is an immensely stupid thing to do.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Jimlit posted:

Trying to replicate eve outside of a space environment is an immensely stupid thing to do.

I dont think its that dumb, but they arnt even doing the things that defined EvE. Like offline skills, PVP in "Safe" areas, Soft and Hard counter builds, and falling into survival mode making everything take ages to do and huge amount of mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Simon Numbers posted:

Ignoring the warnings from my friends about venture backed MMO's always failing i was hyped for this game and after playing it for 5 hours today I have zero interest in following it further

this is criticism based off their plans to go into early access soon

-Crafting is tedious, a little RNG mini-game every time you craft something, you can also fail this rng mini-game
-Takes way too long to craft basic stuff, smelting metal takes an hour for 20, and you need 80 charcoal which with one kiln takes 80 minutes, which isn't even a full set of gear to kill wolves with
-Stack sizes are abysmal, crafting 8 rawhide at a time and it having a max stack of 5 for some reason? Everything has super low stack sizes and inventory space is very limited
-Combat is excruciatingly boring and just left click spam
-World seems to be massive amounts of empty space reminiscent of crowfall(lol and lmao how that turned out)
-There's a ton of different resources which is great but small stack size and limited inventory had me throwing a lot of it out
-Recipe unlocks spammed at you without any indication where or how its crafted
-Cant remap keys for some reason
-Everyone is crammed into building by waterways since you need a lot of clay to build any sizeable structure(once again small inventory and stack size make this a pain)

The op is great for this game, really reflects the thought and work that went into the actual game, bravo.

I've learnt my lesson, no more venture backed MMORPG's

Having wasted most of my week on the alpha test (Gods I was looking forward to doing this) I agree. I love almost every survival-crafting game under the sun but it feels like the devs intentionally made the crafting system to be actively hostile to players