Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pretty sure their ratings always drop around Mania. It is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Tony should open up the strategic pop reserve at a time like this then.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

when one winged angel hits and half robot kenneth omega returns for okads soul the pops will be outta control

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wish you hadn't said that because now I'm gonna be real annoyed when Kenny comes back and he isn't Kazu's weird half-ghost stalker for the entire build to their PPV match

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

when one winged angel hits and half robot kenneth omega returns for okads soul the pops will be outta control

Okay but who shows up with a sword to cut half-robot Kenny in half?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

fully robotic kota ibushi

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

Ratings dropping hard, but still third behind sports. Last two shows have been stellar, so it's not show quality. Guess Meltzer is right and it's hard being #2.

aew sure is #2 all right

a big ol' stinky runny number two

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Sometimes I wish this company could have one good week so it wasn't embarrassing being a fan

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Sometimes I wish this company could have one good week so it wasn't embarrassing being a fan

that good week will come when they go out of business

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Honestly if/when that happens I'll finally be free of wrestling forever and maybe that's for the best

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

AEW is the promotion of choice for Dreamcast kids

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd take odds on your death before I took odds on AEW's.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MJeff posted:

I'd take odds on your death before I took odds on AEW's.

Whonis offering these crazy rear end bets

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince russo will book for AEW

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

What if AEW is only remembered as reigniting CM Punk’s love of WWE

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

What if AEW is only remembered as reigniting a bootlicker’s love for the taste of shoe leather

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It's just depressing at this point cause it feels like no matter what they do the ratings just get worse and worse and there's nowhere you can have any actual discussion about AEW cause it's just people screaming endlessly about how poo poo it is and how stupid you are for liking it and I dunno man maybe it should just loving die already so we can move on.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Drakkel posted:

It's just depressing at this point cause it feels like no matter what they do the ratings just get worse and worse and there's nowhere you can have any actual discussion about AEW cause it's just people screaming endlessly about how poo poo it is and how stupid you are for liking it and I dunno man maybe it should just loving die already so we can move on.

I think you need to tune out of this discourse because trying to understand why people at large don't like the excellent things you enjoy is futile and just diminishes your enjoyment of the things that make you happy

Also "worse and worse" is still a top show on cable

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
they're gonna get a big tv deal and continue putting great matches on tv and PPV, outside of crowds getting smaller still and mjf creative coming back I don't see what's to be depressed about

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
AEW is drawing in money and doing good business no one gives a poo poo about cable tv ratings anymore except extremely online wrestling fans on twitter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drakkel posted:

You can have an actual discussion here you whiny bitch!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ll start: let’s discuss what’s going on with the trios division

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
they thought they could use it to heat up jay white after he lost a big match but things didn't work out that way

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Drakkel posted:

stop reading reddit

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ll start: let’s discuss what’s going on with the trios division

Sadly like a lot of things last year the trios division died when it got sucked into MJF's orbit. It's such an easy fix though - put the titles on top flight + andretti and make trios the rampage/party division.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
PWG-style party matches should be the entire point of the trios division

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hefty Leftist posted:

stop reading reddit

It's this. You can consume sky-is-falling reports and read hot take factories full of people spamming the empty arena photo and laugh-reacting to Bad Number all day or you can watch cool wrestling you like and think "drat, I liked that" and then be content. TK has enough money to run this thing forever. Eventually the media rights deal will drop as well.

This is the Hell Thread though so yeah I hope BCG gets the AEW Trios Championships as well because while I still love Bowens and have fondness for the whole act, it's time to sunset The Acclaimed for a bit

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

all good things must come to an end and sadly it’s aew’s time

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

all good things must come to an end and sadly it’s aew’s time

It's true, Ripper of The Pro Wrestling World told me so :(

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hefty Leftist posted:

stop reading reddit

and listening to jim cornette

guy is so fuckin' bitter about not being given a job its hilarious

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The ratings are very bad and only getting worse

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

the "AEW is dying" business is very lucrative for podcasters who have nothing else to offer. stop listening to those people.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

fez_machine posted:

AEW trios division should what the Cruiserweight division was for WCW.

I get the new normal of putting big matches like Shibata/Ospreay first while the crowd is hot. Here's the thing for TV though - none of the casual fans you're trying to keep from the lead-in A) have any idea who these guys are and B) understand pro wrestling enough to get why their stuff is so cool.

It's something that's occurred to me when thinking of the best way to introduce my girlfriend to it. The stuff that makes me mark out the most - like the entire Takeshita/Ospreay match - subverts expectation. You need context for that stuff to blow your mind.

Lead TV with fun party matches and build the card towards the main event(s) to lead the viewer through it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fez_machine posted:

Yep.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

AEW trios division should what the Cruiserweight division was for WCW.

I get the new normal of putting big matches like Shibata/Ospreay first while the crowd is hot. Here's the thing for TV though - none of the casual fans you're trying to keep from the lead-in A) have any idea who these guys are and B) understand pro wrestling enough to get why their stuff is so cool.

It's something that's occurred to me when thinking of the best way to introduce my girlfriend to it. The stuff that makes me mark out the most - like the entire Takeshita/Ospreay match - subverts expectation. You need context for that stuff to blow your mind.

Lead TV with fun party matches and build the card towards the main event(s) to lead the viewer through it.

There was a period during Daily's-place pandemic era where most dynamites lead off with some 6/8/10/12-man combination of the bucks/elite/dark order/inner circle/jurassic express/lucha bros/best friends and it was awesome every time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drakkel posted:

I would rather the thing that I love live on despite those people. In fact I want it to live just to spite them and also because it brings great joy into my life

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Drakkel posted:

Consider the possibility that you are getting gotten to by the dumbest people on Earth. And that's not hyperbole, I've seen the studies.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Tony frequently does this thing where he will feature a person one week and then they vanish the next without explanation or follow-up. I've come to accept this. The part that's annoying me is that he never applies this to Chris Jericho.

Not sure where the "can AEW go one week without embarrassing itself" thing is coming from. Each week they deliver multiple hours of great matches and they will get renewed. Trying to watch even a few minutes of WWE at its "hottest in decades!" (Fox cancelled Smackdown) is unbearable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jericho is one of AEW’s only ratings draws so taking him off tv when the numbers continue to plummet might not be the best idea, methinks