Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
The bottom layer of AEW Hell contains Christopher Daniels chewing on Cody Rhodes and Jade Cargill, with a spot saved in his third mouth for MJF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Ironically enough the Devil is trapped in the first circle.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Most Power Alex posted:

The bottom layer of AEW Hell contains Christopher Daniels chewing on Cody Rhodes and Jade Cargill, with a spot saved in his third mouth for MJF.

I haven't read a translation of La Divina Commedia since college... but drat it if you aren't making me think about digging up a copy from somewhere online.

Edit: Holy Crap, they've got some cool editions of it available now. https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 20, 2023

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Going down further we see Jay Lethal and Ric Flair in the second circle and I'm stopping here because I gotta better things to do and this will just become depressing.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Kvantum posted:

I haven't read a translation of La Divina Commedia since college... but drat it if you aren't making me think about digging up a copy from somewhere online.

Not a bad idea, there are probably some good electronic editions that would make it really easy to check annotation and translator notes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the dark order died with brodie and after the hangman match they should have been repackaged into all new gimmicks - he was the perfect leader for the dark order and it's like a band trying to go on after their singer leaves and it completely changes the feel

silver especially deserves something better and it's a shame he'll basically be regulated to job guy until he gets released

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i think the bucks, kenny, and jericho using the insults and stuff punk said about them leading up to and after getting fired as fuel for their out of nowhere feud is incredibly lame and the Bucks possibly joining the Callis Family will be whatever

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mjf sucks rear end

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
what did they do to your big show

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ivypls posted:

tony should book more women's matches

ppv was 4 hrs long (not counting zero hour) for 2 of them

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
he should specifically book good womens matches fwiw

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

No comment on the quantity of it but I think the quality of the women’s storylines is pretty high right now. Looking forward to what Mariah May adds to Toni’s angle too

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

A blatantly visible loaded rear end comedy gimmick being at the top of the division (but under the secondary title on the PPV card) is still high quality compared to what men's top champ MJF is up to, I agree

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

btw tony khan is responsible for MJF turning out this bad. Turns out when you give the young rich guy everything he could ever want at the expense of your roster and just keep pushing him up (before anyone brings up the Wardlow story, it ended in a TK begging live on air for MJF to come back and save the main event scene), no poo poo he ends up believing everything he touches is gold

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That DICK! posted:

mjf sucks rear end
‎ ‎ ‎ /

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Tonfa posted:

btw tony khan is responsible for MJF turning out this bad. Turns out when you give the young rich guy everything he could ever want at the expense of your roster and just keep pushing him up (before anyone brings up the Wardlow story, it ended in a TK begging live on air for MJF to come back and save the main event scene), no poo poo he ends up believing everything he touches is gold

current run is bad but this is a lot of extrapolation i think

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

KungFu Grip posted:

what did they do to your big show

They slammed him on a car. It was kinda cool.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

when my grandkids ask me what AEW was like for the first 3 years

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

JUNGLE BOY posted:

when my grandkids ask me what AEW was like for the first 3 years

i mean there was some bad poo poo in the first 3 years, but i think now that WWE has its poo poo together (for better or worse) compared to how bad it was under Vince in 2019 and the fact we're entering year 5 of AEW means the criticism isn't as understanding of a new promotion

i do miss the early years though - the elite seem pretty checked out these days and i miss the hangman-kenny feud. i can't really figure out what's wrong with AEW because it's the same show, same wrestlers, same match quality, same booker, but something seems missing from the picture? stability or consistency maybe? ever since the CM Punk drama i've just lost a lot of care and investment for AEW :smith:

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 20, 2023

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cavauro posted:

‎ ‎ ‎ /

need a jewelers loupe to confirm this is paul wight, known for being incredibly tiny

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Man, people are all doom & gloom about AEW now. Get over it.

Also, I'd fix all the problems AEW has by making everyone get along through threats of violence.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Eff off to the hug box thread !!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Paul Wight being in a brawl segment and then a match where walking down the ramp was impractical for him so people just had to run at him and then also getting bounced off a car and onto the pavement was an interesting series of events imo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

Paul Wight being in a brawl segment and then a match where walking down the ramp was impractical for him so people just had to run at him and then also getting bounced off a car and onto the pavement was an interesting series of events imo

Paul Wight is half obstacle on the best of days

i honestly think the entire thing was just to get Hobbs the spot, which, fair play

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hefty Leftist posted:

i can't really figure out what's wrong with AEW because it's the same show, same wrestlers, same match quality, same booker, but something seems missing from the picture?

Good feuds

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's nearly December so it's Nightmare Collective hours in AEW. Maybe TK will pull another January surprise The C2.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

It's cool that we had a big dumb storyline that took up a poo poo ton of time leading into the payperview, and then they just did another, separate stupid storyline with the same characters that somehow makes everyone look dumb and has a bunch of holes in its logic rather than continuing or concluding the stupid storyline that led to the paperview.

Oh wait no, it's not.

And as much as I love OC and Mox and love their matches, and the injury thing or whatever, it really feels like every storyline in the company has just been treading water for the last four months or so. Christian is great but he's still just Christian-ing and being in trios matches, no forward movement on anything, and they're adding yet another belt so we can have the same feuds over and over like it was WWE. I was briefly excited a few weeks ago when it seemed like MJF would have to be a fighting champion and face the five completely different guys gunning for his belt in interesting matches, but if every one is as overwrought and tonally weird as the build at this PPV, yeesh. At least won't have five minute back and forth matches being traded, just multimans ending in beatdowns forever.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

wheres the huge fat guys tony. this is the #1 problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

turn off your screen ;)

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

turn off your screen ;)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sign Fat gently caress Barrel Boy, coward TK

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Nobody under the age of 40 can carry the company. Put the belt on Bryan Danielson or Christian.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

post hole digger posted:

No comment on the quantity of it but I think the quality of the women’s storylines is pretty high right now. Looking forward to what Mariah May adds to Toni’s angle too

i would rather see mariah may and toni storm wrestle in hard hitting matches where the storyline is that they want to win matches or solve disputes with other athletes in their sport via matches

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Happiness posted:

i would rather see mariah may and toni storm wrestle in hard hitting matches where the storyline is that they want to win matches or solve disputes with other athletes in their sport via matches

Incorrect. You want to see luther as the fulcrum of the womens division

Again

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Incorrect. You want to see luther as the fulcrum of the womens division

Again

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
There aren't enough women's segments and matches on any given show for that division to have many meaningful feuds and playoffs. Tony isn't incapable of booking a women's division well (see RoH) which makes it all the more frustrating that he doesn't even try on AEW TV, where it would matter the most. Blaming it on network execs is a cowardly copout. I don't foresee this changing but I'm still gonna gripe about it because the talent is there, but the will to give them TV time isn't.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

do you effing got stockholm syndrome up in this son of a b?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Full Gear is the first PPV in a while where tbs and women's title both had angles leading into the match. They've spent months building up Skye and Hart, now crowning the latter and Storm has got a successful new gimmick which looks to be building up another talent too (may).

They still need that marquee signing tho

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What other womens division has the courage to center their women's title around a repeatedly failed loaded butt spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

An addendum to my previous statements:

8) Tony can't book a tournament for poo poo. The only good tournaments in the history of AEW were the TBS title tournament (though I will insist that Jade should not have won) and the women's international invitational. This year's Owen wasn't bad either just because the winner was a surprise (never mind how he won).

I'm actually amused that Tony tried to Make Jade by feeding her 80% of the women's division just for her to gently caress off to WWE the second her streak ended.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 20, 2023