Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Can confirm, they tend to announce the field about a month in advance so you can get hype.

Like getting the field/brackets out early means you can promote people doing their own bracket and tie it into Draft Kings/do a contest. Which is another way to build investment and hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah its a bit silly since having the full tourney announced would help them promote future shows and give some structure to the next month of TV which would just greatly help the company

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's something that crowds can feel very WWE in markets in that they pop for interviews/segments but seem cold on wrestling. The fact it was Chicago which normally is a really good wrestling fan crowd for them is also a thing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Chicago barely reacting to Katsuyori Shibata hurt me deep in my soul.

It sucks but that's also due to New Japan being ice cold in the US and it'll probably get worse with Will going to AEW

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AEW isn't going to die it's just going to AXS to join TNA in the purgatory of existing but never growing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

People keep saying AEW is TNA 2005/6 when they just had the most successful business year they ever had. This clearly is WCW 98 and Max is gonna see the Devil in the Mirror before World's end!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's possible for a company to be very successful, while putting out a product people are becoming increasingly disgruntled about

(see also: WWE, Star Wars, the Marvel cinematic universe)

Hence why I say it's clearly WCW 98 in the next sentence!

Also while I'm down on Max and AEW it's not Marvel/Star Wars as they wouldn't have anything as cool as that Hangman/Swerve deathmatch

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

fart blood posted:

Historians: wasn’t 1998 the year WCW had its most successful financials while at the same time being the year it all started to collapse?

People know the Hogan/Warrior stuff is bad but I don't think they realize how much it killed business and momentum for the company. Just such a monumental mistake and before they can recover and rebuild they do the fingerpoke of doom and whoops

So I'm saying Adam Cole needs to win the title that way

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Slapjack is working tag league right now but can always come in as part of New Japan/AEW working arrangement

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do wonder if it's Visa stuff with Takeshita cause Shibata apparently had to go back to Japan as well

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okay Devil stuff is way worse than House of Torture now make it stop have Hangman Buckshot lariat the guy so we can do Swerve/Hangman 3 for the title

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bucks losing in the first tag title tournament was a decent idea since it'd put over another team and you could do a chase. And I could see why they did Private Party even if it didn't mean anything in the long run as Private Party stalled in their growth

Now SCU winning the titles feels like a major miss. Probably should of been Best Friends

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

lol MJF won't eat a pin for the stupid RoH tag belts.

He really shouldn't be eating pins unless it's to lose the World title or set up a World title defense but also they probably should of vacated them back when Cole got hurt instead of waiting this long

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edit: whoops phone double post

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

SatoshiMiwa:

Look any method to get posting numbers up!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

if Okada reups with New Japan they totally should have Okada/Tana/Ishii win the Trio's title and unite them with the Never Belts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think what really throws me is that last year during the Mox build MJF was doing really good face promos and I thought he'd be able to be a great babyface. Now it's just all fallen apart and I think the only way they can correct is have Joe win the title and MJF take time off to get healthy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tanahashi's first act as New Japan president is letting Shibata be free you love to see it

(New Japan was never gonna let him in the ring again cause they were afraid he'd died and that's not unreasonable given Misawa and during the Inokism era New Japan had a guy die cause they were lax on brain injuries)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not like Tana would be adverse to using it to build something up. He used Shibata leaving and returning to New Japan to build tension when it was very likely there was no bas feelings cause Tanahashi first hand knew how poo poo Inokism was and if Inoki didn't get ousted in 06 was probably thinking of leaving himself

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

Is there anything indicating Shibata is in danger of dying in the ring other than a previous injury? Is he not 100 percent healed from that?

I'd imagine he's been cleared by Doctors so he's probably good to go but also it's the type of injury I don't think you ever 100% heal from. And given how Misawa and Plum Mariko died in the ring it's 100% understandable why New Japan doesn't want to let him in the ring

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Him winning one last title was good but it should of been a short reign and this was a chance to get it on a young act that's hot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

I've been to four AEW live events and the merch was abysmal at all four.

The Collision before Forbidden Door and Wrestle Dream just had the weakest merch and at Forbidden Door the New Japan merch was better looking

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the Shanya Wayne promo works given the setup of the feud and also given that she isn't really a good promo. It was so over the top and Christian and Nick mugging sold it and it worked. They just need to resist over exposing her so it doesn't wear out its welcome

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The pro-wreetling tees New Japan shirts got wholes in the arm pits way faster than the ones from Japan

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The most pure form of wrestling is any Takada Pride fight were the opponent was paid to job

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE was losing money in the mid 90's when all of the North American Business was bad but they cut costs so they probably weren't in Danger of closing. If anything the closest they probably came was in 97 when USA was close to dropping them from the station and they hadn't rebounded in ratings enough to get another station

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If that's the case that means the devil is really Jamie Kellner

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's just so lazy and its clearly them just spinning wheels cause Kenny is hurt and they'll end up in the same place when crowd want to boo Sammy cause he just has an aura you want to boo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They had the great Eddie/Bryan match to end the Blue league and than end it with a Nitro 98 level main event such is the dichotomy of AEW right now

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

That was really stupid.

But I kinda loved it.

if it was the middle of the show I'd probably end up in that camp but as a show ending angle? Nah...AEW usually delivers on it's main events and has that crowd trust and I don't think you want to risk ruining that

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm missing this show cause I'm going to Japan for Wrestle Kingdom and Comiket but outside of the C2 finals this feels like AEW's weakest PPV. Of course that means it'll rock

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Willow getting some big wins adds some fuel to the Mercedes rumors cause Willow/Mercedes is a pretty easy to book first feud

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I thought Keith Lee would be in that camp too given his history on the Indies but whelp...

So question for here than...if Drew McIntyre does become a free agent do you think AEW should sign him? I think he want to work and probably wants to show WWE it fumbled the ball with him. But also it could be another ex-WWE guy being a problem

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Long Covid sucks and I can see it being double bad for someone Keith's size so I can buy he's been battling stuff and may have been hurt elsewhere but the tweets are so dumb it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Darby used to do real good quarters but hasn't recently and I'm wondering why he's lost a bit of the star aura he had

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm still gonna be mad at Tony if he doesn't get Sting's first NWA/WCW music for a match before he retires. It's just production music way cheaper than the Final Countdow

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Either that or Okada/Naito is 1.

People forget this cause of Kenny/Will 1 and 2 and Will/Naito but this was probably the best New Japan match of the year just cause of the crowd making it feel like classic New Japan

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean I think this probably is Tony's idea to run a shoot angle but it's still funny his first appearance since All In is on a Strong PPV

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm sure that contract is as legit as the AEW invoice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This thread put Jack in HoT in my head now I want Sho teaching Jack the ways of the wrench. Thanks thread