Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Man, now I dunno about you guys, but I would generally give a boss who had treated me super well a heads up that I'm gonna go work elsewhere, regardless of what the boss at my new place says. Especially since Rossy isn't exactly known to leak stuff to the sheets.

She literally says that she didn't tell Rossy (and she felt bad about it) because she knew it'd get out through Sonny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

"I didn't tell anybody. I guarded that secret with my life. I saw it leak. I actually woke up in the middle of the night in Japan. At the time it leaked, it was like 5 AM. I remember waking up, picking up my phone, and I never had that many notifications in my life. Some of the girls asked. 'Mariah. Maybe AEW?' 'Ah, no.' [Laughs]. Obviously, STARDOM is run by Rossy [Rossy Ogawa], who I have a very good relationship with. I felt bad not telling him, but somebody, I'm not going to name names, but somebody in the staff does leak stuff about the westerners in particular about where they're going to go, what they're going to do. I would have a direct conversation with somebody and they would put it on the dirtsheets. I shutdown my merch store, and the exact conversation I had about it ended up on the dirtsheets. I really wanted to be very honest with Rossy because I have a lot of respect for him, but I couldn't tell him until literally the day I was going to debut. I sent him a message and thanked him and let him know I was going to AEW. He would instantly be like, 'Mariah can't come back next year, she's going to AEW,' and then it would all leak so I had to really keep it a secret. I had to keep it to myself and then towards then end, I let some of the girls know."

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I like this thread because it’s just unironic twitter takes. Like I’m shocked no one has actually seriously said Tony con yet.

Tiny Con, please.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

being an aew fan makes me feel like such a loser. feels like i’m always on the losing team when it comes to the things i like

The Bernie Sanders of wrestling promotions.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tenille Dashwood is very bad.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ROH's women's division is actually alright so I think it has been and continues to be that AEW feels it hasn't put enough effort into its division for it to be able to maintain good quarter hour ratings and simultaneously the investment required to get to that point would be risky with the company not having a sturdy foundation (with regards to their TV deal).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Well, so much for getting into All Japan as an alternative to AEW.

Dragongate time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

In fairness to Jericho, Cornette's dumbass lawyer is the one raising a stink about it. Jericho should probably just keep it to himself but even I'm getting kind of annoyed watching Cornette-adjacent morons go on and on and on about this poo poo trying to score points against AEW while everybody from AEW has just kept their mouths shut for a year and a half.

Yeah Jericho is just saying "If you don't tell the truth about Brawl Out I'm not under an NDA either" which tracks from what reporting there's been about the situation. Punk's NDA not covering Hangman specifically is what springs to mind.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The last time the Bucks were good was when they were goofy heels with Brandon Cutler but nobody else should be joining that stable this time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He had a bet with Jimmy Jacobs going about whether the Devil storyline or the Continental Classic would do better.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Who?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Switch the channel Blade

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I have FELT like Face MJF and BTYBB and the Devil poo poo has been ratings death, but now I actually have some concrete evidence.

I went back and checked, the last time Dynamite averaged over 1 million was February 22, 2023, which was when MJF was still a dirtbag heel, getting ready to face Danielson at Revolution, and in terms of wrestling, Moxley vs. EVIL loving UNO was the main event. That was Uno wanting to beat up Mox because IIRC the Dark Order was trying to big boy up to the BCC and Mox was like lol okay and so they had a legit wrestling match and beat the poo poo out of each other and clearly people wanted to see it.

Face MJF and all the Cole/MJF stuff has been ratings death.

BTYBB was a really big draw for a while during the summer.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope Dustin runs the razor

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

these loving idiots didn’t deserve an alternative to wwe lol

You'd think they'd want to keep the only thing making their contracts so high alive but CTE is a hell of a thing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shocking to see that nobody is considering this could be another act of ex-fed sabotage like Bill Regal :tinfoil:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Paxman posted:

From what I remember Wardlow betrayed MJF - who deserved it for being a dick - and then after some shenanigans he got a match against MJF and beat the crap out of him, and and that was 18 months ago.

So how come Wardlow is now all obsessed with MJF again?

Because he's upset that everyone loves MJF now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, you could even argue that Cole attacking Jay White as the Devil was meant to poison the well so that Max couldn't cozy up to the one group he hadn't really hosed over and were scumbags themselves.

That was probably more motivated by Jay White being the one who put Cole on the shelf in kayfabe and that was Cole getting his revenge.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"William Ospreay" sounds wrong.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

So, who's looking forward to Cody's return to AEW?

I'm still not letting him challenge for the world title. He can job to Eddie Kingston.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm just waiting for Yuka.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

People: Tony can't possibly mess up Mercedes, he's spending so much on her.

February reports: Mercedes is fed up with her lack of TV time and incomprehensible booking that she's ready to walk out.

She was upset she wasn't valued as highly as Charlotte or Becky, and that hasn't changed.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

On The Internet posted:

Didn't Becky just lose to Nia? (I only saw what I read in the WWE thread so don't know if there were shenanigans involved)

Ranked lower than someone losing to Nia is a tough pill to swallow

It's about money.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's definitely been a hot minute since you've heard her talk if you have vague memories of Rosa being a good promo.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Sadly, Cole seems to be more in the "genuinely invested in AEW" camp than the "doesn't wanna do jobs, just pouting in between WWE runs" camp.

This is just a theory, but I think "came in off an expired contract" vs. "came in after being released" is a big determining factor, there. Obviously there's exceptions, Joe and Swerve are in the latter camp.

Joe actually seems to appreciate the value that a #2 promotion brings to the wrestlers and Swerve just thinks Paul is a racist.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I thought Keith Lee would be in that camp too given his history on the Indies but whelp...

So question for here than...if Drew McIntyre does become a free agent do you think AEW should sign him? I think he want to work and probably wants to show WWE it fumbled the ball with him. But also it could be another ex-WWE guy being a problem

Sign him for a match with Darby and see how he feels after that.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

On the Voices of Wrestling ppv reaction show they said that Keith was supposed to be at last week’s Dynamite for a backstage confrontation with Swerve but he didn’t show. They weren’t sure if it was a no-show or if he told anyone. But that is why Swerve’s promo ended with “if you bother to show up”. They said no one they talked to is entirely sure what is going on.

I'd be pissed too if I was Swerve if that's the case. Fortunately he has a totally healthy attitude of taking professional setbacks as personal slights against him and using it to fuel his performances.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm fine with The Acclaimed (I'd love to see Bowens get more singles matches though) but all their matches now are building to an exceedingly mediocre Daddy rear end hot tag and as a result it feels like fans care less about the Acclaimed at this point than they do Daddy rear end. Ditch Daddy rear end and let them go back to the tag division and I'd be a lot more eager to see them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CTE rhymes with Keith Lee. There's plenty you can do with that, even.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm pretty sure Punk was already pissed off about some other things and Jack Perry's cute little comment was just the last straw. Like how nobody from AEW met him at the airport or arranged transportation for him to Wembley from Heathrow, for example

Well, that was his own drat fault.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

how does one get credentialed to the press conferences anyway

is there a form or do you just have to know brandon cutler

Well WrestlePurists got credentialed because one of their guys became friends with Punk.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hefty Leftist posted:

why is the continental crown a championship belt that can be defended at any time? doesn't that defeat the entire point of the continental classic? why not make it an annual event with prestige behind it? why do we need an intercontinental title and a continental title? i don't get it - just keep it loving simple

You should look up the J-Crown sometime.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Tony has absolutely no idea what to do with Ricky and I just hope his contract is up soon. Big fumble and it’s painful to draw it out any longer, because there’s no way he is staying

Ricky should try being a good wrestler.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

R*cky St*rks

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He needs to get an actual theme again.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

sure i'll add that i think it sucks they won't let wrestlers cut promos in their native, non-english language. guys like takeshita and penta are insanely charismatic and they should get pre-tapes with subs or live promos with a translator. isn't that why alex hangs around penta??? what happened to "penta says"? the last time i can remember hearing it was when penta challenged mox for the world championship in 2022. maybe they do it on rampage idk.

and i refuse to believe nakamura is too busy to stand in the ring with takeshita or riho or yuka when she eventually shows up, and translate for them.

Who is Nakamura

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I asked about it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Bucks are in Jacksonville

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I want something exciting to happen tonight and for it not to be Just Another Show.

They can't all be Saudi shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I liked most of Dynamite but that Starks/Guevera match did nothing for me.

They're both not great and Ricky is checked out. It was the only bad part of the show to me though.