Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The angles around the main event last night were pretty frustrating but I still generally like AEW and will keep watching that slop, though I might not pay as much attention to MJF stuff for a bit. I think he's basically fine. I'm now back to my original opinion of that Adam Cole is the real stinky part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

There aren't enough women's segments and matches on any given show for that division to have many meaningful feuds and playoffs. Tony isn't incapable of booking a women's division well (see RoH) which makes it all the more frustrating that he doesn't even try on AEW TV, where it would matter the most. Blaming it on network execs is a cowardly copout. I don't foresee this changing but I'm still gonna gripe about it because the talent is there, but the will to give them TV time isn't.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

That DICK! posted:

want to know how I'D fix things?

Yeah

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Sticky Nate posted:

If anyone here has some free time next Wednesday they could check out the CMLL bodybuilding contest, which will be streamed on youtube.

Vince McMahon is rolling in his grave

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cavauro posted:

is this the rear end in a top hat thread? it was weird that swerve only choked hangman for 4 seconds and hangman went from going "uuuuurrrrgg!!!!" to passed out in those 4 seconds and the announcers didn't put over that he was even being choked and acted like he was successfully fighting it until after that. ruined the show. I hate you

That's the spirit, let it out, cav

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

It takes all kinds to make a fed

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Not gonna pay for that

Same

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

You're always entitled to complain, just ask my wife !!! :dadjoke:

What are y'all haters gonna do during Dynamite tonite? Despite having serious misgivings with the main title scene in particular and being wary of the Continental Classic, I'll still be watching Tony Khan's wrestling fantasy. Though I might be playing Diablo 4 on my PlayStation Portal instead of paying full attention

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

keithy george posted:

How does Tony in Kayfabe say there won't be any outside interference, the exception proves the rule and then normal outside interference is totally fine.

It's a weird tacit admission that interference is fine in all non-Continental Classic matches and doesn't make sense kayfabe or otherwise imo

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Like usual, the matches were mostly good, but the promos went on a bit too long, except the one I liked, Toni Storm's, was of appropriate length.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

OctoberCountry posted:

Adam Cole has done more long term damage to this promotion than CM Punk

:yeah:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The first matches of the Continental Classic were pretty good but why the hell aren't they doing time-calls. You can get the crowd really into matches and thereby invested in the tournament if you start teasing the draws from the start. Crowd will be hella deflated if they just ring the bell at 20 minutes for the draw. And if they start doing time-calls all of a sudden I'll have to assume that match'll be going to a draw since they didn't do time-calls in these first three matches.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Tony lost The Game

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I've heard this name and I have zero idea who this person is I just assumed she's Anakin's mom or maybe Rey.

He's the coolest guy in Dragongate, no relation to Luke

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

The only obstacle is knowing how to count to four in time with the ref

This cracks me up every time. And then selling the ref chastising him like the ref is slapping him around lol AJPW rules

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Someone give me an easy starting point for 2023 All Japan. Like, a match and a cool dude or two not a whole show

If you got Wrestle Universe check out NOAHs One Night Dream between Kento Miyahara and Katsuhiko Nakajima and then watch any Miyahara main event and by then you'll probably see some other cool guys you like like Rising HAYATO and the Aoyagi bros

Alternatively check fork boys posts in the MOTYC thread and watch whatever AJPW matches he recommends

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This one? I'm going to watch it when I get home tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5SqFnebgjM

Yea

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

MJeff posted:

I mean, it is very stupid, but it also is working. I'm gonna buy his dumb streaming service for at least that week to watch Athena have a PPV match.

Same! Haven't seen any of Athenas honor club stuff but I'm def gonna watch that ppv

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Love the windup punch love the "you don't understand subjective opinion" response to someone posting their subjective opinion AEW hell thread stays winning

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Okada also likes those quick DDTs outside the ring

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I thought the "women's wrestling" chant during the main event was incredibly patronizing

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Idk if AEW's women's div needs stars as much as it needs TV time. If you want to watch Giulia wrestle you prob shouldn't want her to sign with AEW, where she'll wrestle once every two weeks in a heatless match. Maybe once every week if she's getting pushed. Having Giulia or Moné on the roster isn't going to suddenly make TK book more than one women's match per show. Giulia should go to AJPW and wrestle Nakajima for the Triple Crown.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'd give cave a few million dollars I don't have to make Guwange II. I already suck at Guwange, but give me another one to suck at

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'll be watching FREEDOMS . Imagine I lowered my goggles and gave a salute

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

That ain't Sting. And I'd know.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

WCW Greed and AEW Worlds End are both inaugural papes that ended up being the last before each company was kicked off turner tv stations

and fittingly Greed took place in Jacksonville….

The Devil is revealed to be none other than Kwee Wee

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

It's really stupid that the gold league final is automatically no-DQ cause it's a three-way. Prince Nana coulda stayed out and kicked Mox and Jay White in the balls repeatedly. undermines the whole point of the Continental Classic which has otherwise been pretty good

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

For the cost of one AEW PPV you could subscribe to AJPW.TV for the next 11 months and still have a little change leftover. Assuming that the quick Google price of $71.99 is right and that exchange rates don't wildly change in that period

I'm not giving money to NXT Japan

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's not NXT Japan yet. Now if Dempsey were to win then alarm bells are really going to start ringing...

Fortunately you don't have to because they've removed the show for non-Japanese shows & now if you want it you have to subscribe to FITE+. Despite it being advertised as part of your ¥900/month for December. Very uncool. So I guess you can watch it if you have that, but as I have no interest in US indies & regional MMA I can't. :smithicide:

I was just teasing, anyways, AJPW has been a light in the darkness and Nakajima v. Miyahara for the TC will probably be the best wrestling match happening this weekend. Wish I could watch it with my AJPW sub though

Also since this the AEW hell I just want to reiterate how dumb it is that multiman matches are inherently no dq. Thanks

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Tonfa posted:

For the second straight PPV the babyface World Champion is playing up how badly hurt and immobile he is so his opponent will look like dogshit no matter win or lose. What in the world

It might be cope but I genuinely think Max is losing tomorrow

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm glad AEW is finally rid of the MJF scourge. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I have been an Acclaimed hater since I first saw them back in September 2022 and seeing people finally discussing how bad they are is almost enough to make me weep.

Thank you AEW Hell thread. For the first time in a while I feel Seen

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Seemed like pretty obvious satire to me tbh

I thought so too. maybe it was a satirical probe

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Ricky Stanks doesn't do anything for me either. His theme is great but that's about it. His pose is dorky his signature ropewalk hip thrust spot is stupid and I just don't buy him as any kind of star. The matches w/ Danielson were good though. Maybe I liked him better as a face, idk

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Sammy is one a those guys that I never ever want to see. Sure he does crazy flips and stuff I just don't like looking at him or hearing him talk or thinking about him. There is not a single spot I want to see him in, a single angle that would be improved by his addition, a single matchup that I would tune in specifically for, nothing. Get him outta here

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm not mad, you're mad :)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Like Meltzer, Tony was just reporting facts. If that's somehow a "dig" then that's on Jinder's booking

But also lol none of this loving matters. I"M CRINGEING Shut da gently caress up

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Pylons posted:

The Bucks are in Jacksonville

I hope they have facial hair to rival Lexis King's, for heat

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm backstage tonight ready for my surprise appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Hangman and Roddy look great with the staches. Bucks can rock em cause

apophenium posted:

I hope they have facial hair to rival Lexis King's, for heat