Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Are you guys doing the hyperbolic stuff as a bit or are these things you actually think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Went to the Collision show last night and it definitely felt like a b show. Biggest star was Eddie. Bunch of jobber matches for some reason. Got home and saw Phil went back. Still, I wouldn’t think things are bad unless I was tapped in online. poo poo ebb and flows and it is still good to be elite!

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

I think the most I’ll do in joining the wallowing is say that I always thought Max was a great talent but should never be world champ and I’m being proved correct week after week.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's possible for a company to be very successful, while putting out a product people are becoming increasingly disgruntled about

(see also: WWE, Star Wars, the Marvel cinematic universe)

AEW is just all over the place in a few ways. World title scene is boring and stagnant. Focus comes and goes off people for seeming little reason leaving them hot and cold. Too many titles, too much product. Collision is clearly skippable despite every claim from TK and goons alike that it would not end up that way.

I could go on. It's still nowhere near the worst era of any of those products.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

There just isn't enough focus in AEW right now and it's been a problem ever since they got ROH. There are too many tables, too much talent and too much TV. The Acclaimed is one thing he got right by knowing when the time had come to end their tag reign, but they ended up in trios land which is basically a dead title as is. At times I've had to recognize up to four promotions having titles revolving around in AEW. Most people aren't nerdy enough for this poo poo. It's all made poo poo too convoluted.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Warthur posted:

The Ric Flair hiring is the damning evidence here. His presence does nothing for anyone - it's not like anyone can feud with him and it's not like Sting needs him in his corner to elevate him. He is solely at AEW to get nostalgia pops. And there's a side order of hypocrisy because it's not like anything major has changed about the Plane Ride From Hell thing and he hasn't done a better job of demonstrating contrition than he did when the Dark Side of the Ring episode aired. It makes it blatantly obvious that the decision not to bring him in then and there wasn't a principled stance, it was just kicking the can down the road in the hope audiences would forget about it.

Flair is there to go to executive parties, whoo, woot and holler and rub elbows for Tony. None of them give a poo poo about his past, they just wanna whoo and take a photo. Frankly out of all the old guys in the business he is the best at building the AEW brand for that sect.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

The Devil thing being MJF's thing makes more and more sense cause the guy is just protecting himself. The Devil's crew feels non-threatening as a whole, I'm not even sure what they are scared or worried about. A lot of stuff is just off screen and you have to make assumptions. If you saw these people running roughshod through the company and MJF it might mean something but otherwise who care.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

Jonathan Coachman on Bubba Ray's podcast EVISCERATES Tony, REMOVES his tv slots:

why did this guy lose his sweet espn gig again

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

JUNGLE BOY posted:

we haven’t seen a trans or abortion rights t shirt on tv forever. gunn and bullet references everywhere. the only “fight for 15” we are getting is a midcard chris jericho match.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Seams posted:

I thought Matt specifically pivoted towards the wacky Broken gimmick because he knows he's too broken down and old to be wrestling normally but nope he apparently thinks its still the year 2000.

Matt absolutely knows they are broken down and that his brother burned his last bridge, it’s just cope.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

They should try and get guest hosts every week to liven it up. Could you imagine if they got Young Sheldon to interact with Toni Storm?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Thought about what is going on with Miro very briefly yesterday and realized I don't care. It'll be the same start stop stuff with him until he leaves, and we'll be better for it.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Astro7x posted:

A lot of people get the start and stop push though. Like it seemed as if they were ramping up the tag division with Private Party back. Then all that stuff just went nowhere? It was like the tag titles got thrown into this Sting retirement match stuff, but TK is doing a poo poo job of building up tag challengers during the long buildup to this match.

Danhausen returned. Has he not wrestled since the battle royal at Worlds End?

Nick Wayne got this huge push when he debuted. Now he is just a guy in Christian’s stable and I cannot remember the last time he wrestled.

They brought back Stu Grayson and did absolutely nothing with him. Why?

Thunder Rosa returns and she gets a few TV matches against lower card people and they haven’t done anything with her for a month.

Statlander got a good push when she returned with beating Jade, but since losing the TBS title she is directionless.

I can’t even tell you who is feuding Julia for the TBS title. She also feels directionless since the Abadon match at Worlds End.

Private Part is b list in the current tag division which is currently focused on Sting/Darby and the Young Bucks, and BCC/CMLL. Rightfully so as well.

Danhausen is slotted exactly where he should be

Nick is 18 so I don't really see the need to be pushing him heavier than being apart of one of the hottest angles in the company

Stu who care

Stat is in an angle with Willow and Stokley

Julia is injured but working on making Skye Blue evil

Tony does start stop people annoyingly, like Orange Cassidy losing the International to Moxley which served zero purpose when it should have pushed him up into the main event. Miro is just his own worst enemy. He could have been in Joe's spot but that ended up working out in our favor anyway. He had an interesting arch and character in 2021 but his run this company is ultimately on him.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

1glitch0 posted:

To help with any potential lawsuit SB (Smashed Balls) Punk would threaten. Saying he feared for his life and for the safety of other employees sounded very lawyer-scripted to me.

I don't think I'd say that about someone as litigious as Punk if it weren't true and considering there was no legal action after, have to think he was telling to the truth.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

1glitch0 posted:

How is Punk going to prove that getting into a fight backstage and screaming and knocking poo poo over didn't actually make Tony fear for his life?

I would imagine the cameras filming everything backstage would help with that

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Eat My Fuc posted:

Sasha Banks isn’t a big get in a company that has maybe 5 total women’s wrestlers who have any heat or good matches.

You are describing WWE dude

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

NienNunb posted:

This thread becoming a honeypot for flaming people with negative AEW takes is a very good bit.

If you are bored enough in life that you are doing this you are truly already in hell

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

The hell always sets in about a day and a half after a show

Okada likely isn't getting 4.5mil but I can see him in the 2.5-3 range

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Kevin Kelly was kinda rude to me once when I just said hello to him which I just wrote off as him being tired from a show but now I know he was just very upset thinking about basements in pizza parlors

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Dude begged every doctor in the nation to prove his brain is normal. The guy is never gonna truly retire, so what's the rush

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Kaveman posted:

Nielsen should move to a five bag rating system

When I'm watching Dynamite I'm frequently asking myself who's gonna win and who's gonna lose

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Drakkel posted:

It's just depressing at this point cause it feels like no matter what they do the ratings just get worse and worse and there's nowhere you can have any actual discussion about AEW cause it's just people screaming endlessly about how poo poo it is and how stupid you are for liking it and I dunno man maybe it should just loving die already so we can move on.

Consider the possibility that you are getting gotten to by the dumbest people on Earth. And that's not hyperbole, I've seen the studies.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

You have to be really foolish to think AEW is an position to die. Like said above, WWE faced around a decade of declining ratings WELL ABOVE the rate of people cancelling cable. Always got an increase. Failing upward year after year. AEW's ratings actually track with cable cancellations. You'd also have to think that Tony has been spend happy without having an semblance of what kind of deal they are working with going forward. AEW was vastly undervalued even after the contract renegoation right before COVID. AEW is fine. It's not thriving right now, but considering it's first four years are unprecedented in the history of not only the wrestling business but the sports business as a whole, it's doing fine.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

explain

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

I love Joe but it was least 5-8 years too late for him to be a world champ. He had his time and he was never that big of a star to merit a world title reign at this point. Add to that he spent a good bit of 2023 jobbing to Punk and others. Just didn't make much sense to me story wise. I would have had Darby take the title from MJF. You needed someone young and different and with real heat behind them.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

I don't think Joe was a bad champ, cause outside of Punk they haven't had any. It just didn't feel like it was his time. He spent his entire AEW run as being the guy who people beat to get to the next level, which is perfectly fine and suited him greatly. You look at the title runs of everyone who won the title and he is on the bottom end. His most memorable match was with Hook.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

The belt looked great on Joe, it's more that I would prefer AEW to focus on younger talent. Homemade if possible. Darby beating MJF would make sense based on the story they had going with those two.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Still very much like AEW. Disappointed in the DoN card but I'm already in Vegas for the Sphere so I might as well. But thinking about how we got from loving to liking AEW, the real downturn started when Tony started running ROH in tandem with AEW. It's just way too much for one man to handle. Add on another two hour show and losing guys to injury/brawls and he feels like he is just winging it lately. But it's kind of hard to gently caress up with all this talent when all you have to do is have them go out and wrestle. Plus it's not like wrestling doesn't ebb and flow naturally.

The WBD/NBA stuff is really giving me pause though. Zaslav is a loving moron and cable is obviously dying. I feel like AEW is gonna come out fine but there is that 5-10% chance poo poo goes south that I can't deny. If they have to spend 3 billion on C level NBA games where does that leave us.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

WWE is gonna run the Sphere next year and we are gonna hear about how it is the greatest event ever cause it was just endless entrances

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

Not feeling good about the AEW deal. I don't think you can look at Zaslov's track record and trust him or his leaders to make a good to great deal with AEW. The NBA is such a big component of their TV lineup and now it's completely gone. The NHL just doesn't compare. The guy has endlessly fumbled since the merger and I don't see it ending here. I do think they end up making a deal but at this point you can't be surprised if he fucks it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

I know the details of what went down and I'm not disagreeing that it is a bit lopsided but big picture it is a huge loss