Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Danielson is great but not all great wrestlers are great bookers or coaches. It's not a knock because he's easily a top 5 wrestler of all time. But that doesn't mean you're automatically a great booker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cody is perfect for WWE because he wants to be like Cena as a face and WWE needs someone to fill that void since Cena is only a special attraction these days.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought it was pretty much agreed that Cody wanted more control to book more and TK shut him down. So since Cody was never gonna get the book he felt slighted.

Cody probably does get the book if he stays in WWE.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wardlow was red hot for a while then he vanished and got brought back and cooled off but was still over then he vanished again and now he's back and has nothing.

He's a prime example of one of TK's bad booking habits in not keeping guys around while they're hot and changing things around.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tampa Bae posted:

what exactly do you think would be his peak, because it sure ain't world champion and he already had 3 TNT title runs

I think keeping him as TNT champ for longer and putting him into a world title program could've worked when he was at the peak of his popularity. Don't give him the world title but he could've gotten a shot. He was mega over with everyone for a good while.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mercedes would be wasted in AEW.

WWE is the better option for sure, but that all depends on if they can mend fences with her. With Vince looking like he's really out of the picture it's more likely they can and that would be the best place for her to make money. But I also wouldn't blame her for not wanting to go back because they treated her like poo poo and she was 100% right to walk out.

Though as we've seen, some people are willing to put being treated terribly behind them if it can make them money.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

good point

E: also, look who has reappeared to fix aew possibly

I thought this thread was for pointing out bad things that AEW is doing

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This feels like recency bias because that was less than a year ago. Both companies suck at booking women consistently but in AEW Mercedes would be the featured player instead of being fed to the featured player who is mostly important for the men's division

Featured player to show up once a week and have about three women who would be near her level in the ring and nobody close to her character work.

WWE should be scrambling to try and get her back to do Four Horsewomen vs. Damage CTRL.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I'm not getting gaslit to watch WWE even if Mercedes shows up

AEW can make it work even if they have the theoretical worse roster

What are they even doing with Athena? I don't trust them to make any program with women work when they don't even put Athena on the main shows.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, I mean I think Bret was the first to really have the five moves of doom popularized. It was kind of like the "oh poo poo here we go" moment in his matches where he took control and you knew it was all over for the other guy, so if that person ever broke out of the sequence it was a big deal.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It's communication with the audience that the end of the match is coming, and you can do a lot of things with that in keeping or breaking the expectations. But it's also a big sign that they should really pay attention now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they lose the WBD partnership does the International title lose its SHAZAM power up?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They've dragged this devil poo poo out for so long its either going to make no sense or be completely underwhelming or both.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ask Jericho what happened on January 6 and see what he says

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's Shane McMahon and he's gonna start AEW Underground

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wardlow: hey I don't wanna be involved in this devil poo poo

Keith Lee: I'm hurt and my match will probably suck

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Keith Lee has been a huge bust since coming to AEW, in my opinion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol Keith Lee

"I've been hurt since 2022"

"oh so that's why you haven't been used much"

"nope"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AEW just put on one of the worst battle royales in recent memory

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wardlow: I'm gonna get my revenge on you by having you lose your title but not to me and instead to someone else even though there was nothing from stopping me from challenging you for it and being in Joe's place

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

oh poo poo I didn't know JR posted here

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

To be fair pretty much anyone coaching you through that poo poo would also give the advice of "uh yeah, absolutely do not start your scrum by giving time to the unsubstantiated rumors that are being leaked out by a crew of bitter weirdos with an axe to grind". They need to say something at some point but not there.

I think just saying that he will be available to take general questions at the end and to save anything for then would have helped. Add in something like "we'll only be answering questions about the show and the wrestler with me before that time" could work too.

Like everyone knows the questions were gonna be asked, so I think trying to cut it off before you get the scenario we got last night is a better idea than hoping nobody asks it at an awkward or inappropriate time. Because now we've got the image of Tony talking about harassment while looking like that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

Why does he need to say something that's just been standard operating procedure for years at this point? The people in that room know that a bunch of wrestlers are gonna come out and then Tony is gonna be alone, they've been there before.

To avoid exactly what happened last night.

You always treat things like this like it's the first time, doesn't matter if that's how it's been done for years. Maybe there's a new reporter there that doesn't know that's how it goes. What's the big deal with saying something like that beforehand?

It's not worth the risk and now Tony looks pretty dumb in talking about a serious issue while dressed completely unserious. If something had been brought up beforehand he could have said he'll address it later. For that matter that's how he should have answered it anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

I have to think they prep the room before Tony sits down / the scrum actually starts.

I hope so! It seems like that would be a normal thing to do.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I disagree because it's loving hilarious

https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1741340959126835488

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

yea ok posted:

gently caress off

lol

it's okay to laugh at the man wearing a silly hat and sunglasses while saying "it's something we're very serious about"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

You can't go "this is something very serious and he should've done it this way so he could avoid what happened" and then go "lol look we're just laughing it's okay to laugh". Pick a lane, jackass.

Why?

Yes I can absolutely say that they should have done such and such to avoid that from happening and then say it was funny that it happened.

But if you want me to pick a lane I'll pick the one that's laughing at how ridiculous it was. Do you feel better now?

yea ok posted:

I'm really really sorry I said gently caress off to the wwe loving guy. Let's all bring it in for 2024. 🤼 <- I think this is a hug

I'm not Kozlov but I accept your apology, buddy. I'm just here to enjoy all wrestling and how ridiculous it can be. Like when they had demon voices for the All Out scrum. You can't write this stuff.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 31, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

yea ok posted:

Ya I just get a little lashy and QQ when it comes to stuff like SA. When it's Phil going nuclear on the cucamonga kids it's a lot easier to laugh about.

Oh yeah please don't think I'm trying to downplay the SA allegations and anything resulting to that. All the "reporters" about it have been shitheads for using it for clout or clicks or whatever and whoever decided to ask the question at that time with Julia up there was dumb as hell.

The main thing I'm finding hilarious about it all is just the phrase Tony said about taking things seriously while wearing that. It's just like... someone compared it to an I Think You Should Leave sketch and that's kinda what it is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still thinking that SRS is getting worked

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone on Twitter said something like "oh his long term injury he's been dealing with must be why he isn't used that much" and Keith Lee responded "incorrect" and then during the scrum Tony said the reason Keith Lee hasn't been used too much is because he's been dealing with a long term injury.

So one of them is lying and it's probably not Tony, so that tweet comes off as Lee bitching about how he's being used

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Punk got fired and came back sooner.

Granted it was with another company, but still.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What's Rainforest Kid doing in the Impact Zone?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Andrade yes. Shida no. Andrade was speaking English as well but I guess they were concerned about his enunciation and clarity.

ok, how you know?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jericho and Sammy is such a cursed team

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She was sitting with Bayley at the TNA show and HHH was there.

WWE is also setting up Bayley to be turned on by the rest of Damage CTRL so she'll need allies, and Trinity is for sure returning.

So yeah I'm pretty sure Mercedes is not gonna go to AEW

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cavauro posted:

tazz jay white

Mermaid Jones over here

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blunder Rosa

I don't know if she's washed or not. I just wanted to say that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AEW should fill the hard cam side with all the wrestlers they employ

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

There are times I'm thankful the worst thing we know about TK is that he is cringe

He hired a known rapist

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mister Wardlow Mister Mayhem Wardlow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Mercedes is happy and has good matches and gets a lot of TV time.