Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Critical posted:

mjf was exactly right when he said he was going to give everyone the reign from hell. but instead of imitating hhh he's imitating supercena

Current babyface MJF is one of the worst things in all of wrestling in like at least 10 years. It's like if you took 2003/04 TNA Jeff Jarrett overbooked cheating dogshit finishes mixed with 2005/06 John Cena invincible overcoming the odds, then gave him Santino Marella's moveset, but also made it this self aware "wink wink" comedy character and it's just one giant insufferable package. If Max is booking himself, then we would do better somewhere like WWE where the writing team can actually provide some quality control.

So many dudes are being wasted so we can have a bloated MJF show every week. Imagine hiring Keith Lee and doing absolutely nothing with him. Or Andrade, or Miro, or Malakai, or any of the other WWE cast offs who should be tearing it up.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Longing for the days when Leva Bates wrestling in her "Librarian" gimmick was the worst part of a given AEW show

Remember that couple of weeks where Brandi and Luthor were shaving people's heads and everyone was calling it the worst poo poo ever?

We get way worse stuff from that every week now with MJF and it usually takes up multiple segments on the show.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Was away all weekend but lol AEW and lol if the plan is to keep the title on MJF another 9 months until Ospreay wins at All In.

Also lol that the AEW hell thread is more active than the main thread.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Remember when Kip Sabien sat in the audience with a box on his head for like a year and a half, until finally he attacked Pac for no reason and then got his rear end beat and hasn't been seen since? wtf was that?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

remember when Paige VanZant was ALL ELITE?!

I still maintain that Men of the Year was a good stable and everyone's careers are worse for it ending...except probably Paige.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Edge needs to stop doing the run to the side of the stage thing during his entrance because he only does one side now, which constantly reminds me that there's no audience on the other side.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TelevisedInsanity posted:

There just simply isn't enough wrestlers getting busted open every week for me to crave my thirst for blood.

Bring back the brood.

I mean we had a match where one guy drank another's blood like a week ago.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

AEW is back!

...until the next lovely MJF promo, then it's dead again.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

MJeff posted:

Dude beat Kenny Omega clean and they just don't do anything with him. It's baffling.

If you gave me a nickel for everytime someone was hot in AEW and then suddenly vanished off TV for a month...

projecthalaxy posted:

good point

E: also, look who has reappeared to fix aew possibly

The women's division isn't going to bury itself

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 30, 2023

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I can't feel any sympathy for Jeff. He was getting pushed and getting PPV matches and then he did some dumb poo poo and Tony and Friends probably don't want to push a guy who at any point could embarrass the company and himself or end up in jail. You blew it dude, just collect the paycheck.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Sorry to tell you but they both suck poo poo

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

anyone think the young bucks suck, are never around, and hide in their locker room when they do bother to show up? ✋

I've never cared for them. They're the Red Hot Chile Peppers of wrestling, where like they can only do one song/match but at least it's pretty good, make a silly face at the camera, yada yada California.

I don't miss them not being on my TV that much.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I will say this about the Bucks, whenever anyone refers to "dumb indie flippy bullshit", they're basically referring to the Bucks or a match done in the Bucks' style. They've single handedly defined what dumb WWE fans think all indie wrestling is, so that's their legacy I guess.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2023

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

imo i think Young Bucks TV act kind of exposed them because they've really already done everything they can do with their characters. Like I dont know how whatever they do next unless there's a drastic change in their look/presentation but the new angry temper tantrum stuff feels like a retread of their Elite heel run.

Even if they change their characters and turn heel, I don't know if they have it in them to change their match style. Their heel character before was "arrogant obnoxious assholes" so mugging at the camera and doing pointless backflips and endless superkicks kind of worked. If they're angry and bitter heels, doing your standard Bucks match isn't going to make sense.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

It's rad as hell that the show that doesn't have a show on TV has titles that grow more worthless with every passing week

I don't even care about RoH but lmao

ROH minus Athena is basically a giant joke. The world title was basically given away as a prize by the champion who is actually dumb. The TV title was vacated because they guy who held it said it was beneath him. The tag titles are currently held by one guy who rapadoos his way through insufferable comedy matches. The pure title had to be shoved onto default champ Yuta after the champ got injured again. It's a bunch of doofuses who aren't good enough for AEW picking the scraps of meaningless titles.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I think the trios belts were a cool idea in early 2022 when Death Triangle and House of Black were putting on absolute bangers and you had like 8 different teams that could compete for them. But then most of those teams broke up and now they're just low card filler belts that don't even get onto the PPVs, so I guess it's just another thing that used to be cool that became shitified in 2023, like the world title.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2023

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

But now he just shouts everyone's name loudly and it doesn't even make sense. The whole reason it was funny was that he was yelling "Adam" while Adam was standing like right next to him. Now he's just yelling "RENEEEEEEE" and it's just cringe.

Tony likes to find the one thing that gets over and then run it so far into the ground that it's being drilled full force into the center of the Earth.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

lol

fawning deference posted:

Unfathomable as to why, instead of generating genuine heat and hype for a match, The Firm was brought up in a fuckin promo. "Remember that worthless lovely angle that everyone thankfully forgot? Yeah good job with THAT" is legitimately an insane thing to say on a TV show that is floundering and trying to win back viewers, and it's a clear example of "when going meta goes wrong." You're now letting everyone know that The Firm is "an angle" and highlighting the fakeness of everything, which, yes we know this is all TV but the point of what makes wrestling good is for it to FEEL real so we suspend disbelief and get caught up in the drama. That's the whole point

That whole segment was late stage WCW, but especially that part.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I've been fast forwarding every time MJF is on screen for about a month now. I have now idea what happened tonight, but lol that it's still apparently abhorrent.

No exaggeration, he's the worst thing in wrestling

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

MJeff posted:

I've been to four AEW live events and the merch was abysmal at all four.

AEW absolutely sucks at marketing its merch, which is kind of nuts because it's almost like free money. You never see any of the wrestlers wearing their shirts on TV, they don't have much on hand at live events, they're not plugging their online store. Like how hard can any of that be? You have the entirety of the BCC just wearing plain white tees and track suits, like if the NWO never wore their signature logo shirts. Say what you will about WWE, but they know how to push their merch.

The only time I really remember anyone in AEW actually wearing their shirts was MJF/Cole.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 24, 2023

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Boooo, they already took the Sting snowglobe off the website.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Mustache hangman rules. He looks like Dax with hair

fixed

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Babyface Sammy doesn't work, and Ricky just feels like he's one foot out the door right now, so it was kinda difficult to care about that match.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

MJeff posted:

The Hardys loving suck.

Passive Aggressive Whiny Twitter Jeff is narrowly edging out Babyface MJF as my least favorite wrestler character.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Lol Okada isn't worth anywhere close to what he's being paid, but good on him for getting that bag I guess.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

House of Black sucks, almost everyone from WWE Tony signed in that time is washed and lame

It's honestly kind of wild. Other than Swerve, Toni Storm, Danielson, and Joe, everyone who came over from WWE during that 2021-22 period has been just killed.

Keith Lee is dead, Miro is on another planet, Malakai and Buddy are jokes, Andrade said "gently caress this", Ruby is non-existant, Taya and Athena are banished to ROH, Roddy was an actual joke character until about a month ago, Claudio has been ok I guess, Stokley is completely irrelevant.

Cole is featured at least, but was also in two of the worst feuds all of last year.

It's impossible to get invested in any wrestlers in this company, because outside of like 10 guys, who knows when someone could just vanish for months.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

yea ok posted:

i'm pretty invested in a lot of wrestlers in aew. i have what scientists call "object permanence", so when a wrestler is downcycled, i don't suddenly forget everything that happened beforehand

yeah, but imagine how cool it would be if someone is doing cool stuff and getting over, you could be like "hell yeah can't wait to tune in next week to see what they're doing", instead of them potentially just vanishing for a while.

Outside of PPVs, I've just stopped watching AEW because of how frustrating and inconsistent the booking is.

NienNunb posted:

Stokely, Claudio, and my baby boy Kyle are very good

Stokely is cool but outside of leading a lovely faction that just quietly dissolved and chasing Statlander around, he hasn't done anything.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Seems like we need to bring back the AEW Asylum thread

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Jesus Christ, this is one of those situations where literally everyone comes off loving TERRIBLY.

Also this is a hot take around these parts but I genuinely believe AEW's booking has gone to utter poo poo. FTR/Bucks again? Hard pass, even though it was obviously coming, and the rankings came back, but they are HILARIOUSLY nonsensical and don't matter worth a drat. TK's booking when he planned almost everything in advance was actually great, so basically like, the beginning through Hanger's title reign was great, everything since Punk came in has been a shadow of what AEW was.

Since it's the Hell thread, I'll agree. AEW's booking has been so bad the past like 8 months or so (since around Wembley), but I really feel like Brawl Out is when the wind got let out of the sails for the whole company. The MJF face run was unwatchable and while Joe winning and the continental tournament were good, I still feel like it's impossible to care about anyone outside of the world title scene and whoever the new signing of the week is, because those are the only people who are guaranteed to show up on TV.

But you're right, everyone here sucks. Punk's a stupid petty rear end in a top hat, Perry's a total dipshit, and Tony has too much of a weird vindictive internet brain. Hopefully our big hawaiian boy looks cool breaking it up at least.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Legit hope the footage segment is somehow even more lame and cringe than Edge talking about "there's nowhere I'd rather be" to an empty arena. We can do a worse rating if we truly believe, don't let me know down Tony.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

post hole digger posted:

knowing what we know about what happened before that match, its still really funny to me that if punk already decided he was quitting and only did the match for joe, they didnt just call an audible and put joe over.

Dude just got done throwing a major temper tantrum, you gonna ask the ref to tell him midmatch that the finish was changing so that he loses?

He probably would have just walked out.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Joey McChrist posted:

i aint reading all that dogshit

Me, but in the normal AEW thread

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Shard posted:

One day people are going to point to Tapegate as the night that made them quit aew much the same as the wwe blood money shows did for people.

This is basically where I'm at. I can handle cringey poo poo in wrestling, but having multiple weeks in a row of second hand embarrassment out of pity is too much.

I'm sure Ospreay vs. Danielson at the PPV will bring me back though, because they still put on good showson occassion.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Has anyone made a new version of the Punk/Joe meme where Punk is going "Are you Still in AEW" yet?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1783529096833601965

According to Fightful Select, they intentionally did it this way to give Swerve the NBA lead-in.

So I didn't watch the show on Wednesday (lol no one else did either apparently), but did Swerve really not even appear on the show? WTF? You have a brand new first time first black world champion and he doesn't even appear, but you gotta tune in to the saturday show no one watches to see him? He should have have a big celebration with confetti and poo poo. But don't worry, we gotta cram in Mox defending the new japan title against a random job guy. Are they trying to make Collision is A show now or hoping Swerve will pop a rating?

AEW is so endlessly frustrating. They just put on an amazing PPV, but their weekly TV is so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

STING 64 posted:

he wrestled kyle fletcher

Oh ok, so this is just his first "promo". Got it. Nevermind.