Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

All the sports entertainment poo poo stinks of trying to court WWE viewers, but they're just going to watch WWE! TK is basically doing the wrestling version of a Democrat ignoring their base to try and nab "moderate" Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Arguing with Punk people as a diehard Hangman fan was fun. MJF on top is company cancer from day one doing his long long man shtick and only gets worse, detracting from everything around him including his own matches not held together by Bryan loving Danielson

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Tony’s handling of the entire Elite/Punk fallout was embarrassingly bad. Threw away years worth of big money matches/feuds by not knowing how to manage his talent and nip something like that in the bud.

:yeah:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

What other womens division has the courage to center their women's title around a repeatedly failed loaded butt spot

It's cool that the International and TBS titles are super important. Just bad they did that by making the world title in both divisions a joke

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

why? Its gonna suck!

Yeah but we need to let it suck on its own terms

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

When we were all young and naive :unsmith:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

post hole digger posted:

Remember when she came back and everyone who made those jokes right away got yelled at because aew wasn’t going to be stupid enough to do that sort of poo poo lol

Not me. I remembered Miro defending those angles long after he didn't have to and with enough enthusiasm to know he was down for that poo poo

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

There's a lot to uncover about how awful that comment is but I think this puts it pretty concisely:

https://twitter.com/ThugMcGraw/status/1726143393640640512

exactly Holy poo poo

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The tournament isn't for anything important and mostly just a cudgel to use against the fanbase not into AEW becoming WWE-lite/TNA. Who cares?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s Tony’s attempt to punish Danielson for daring to work NJPW

When he gets injured TK'll make it up to Okada by having him come in to lose a 4th time

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

fawning deference posted:

which moves MJF away from what makes him so incredible, which is his subtlety and being essentially the "the wrestler who hates the showbiz elements of wrestling."

:confused:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

dodgeblan posted:

cody was great and he made his opponents great. Last time malakai mattered

this thread is for actual takes

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I have a feeling if Cody was around the descent into pure sports entertainment would have happened quicker as we had both MJF and thr Codyverse. Even if they were feuding they'd still double the time

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

With more WWE-lite poo poo?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

At best, it's a haphazard attempt at placation, in which case....cool? I get to watch Bryan vs. Eddie and Bryan vs. Andrade at least (two matches that I've already seen with clean finishes, but whatever) and then what? I got four weeks of actual pro wrestling on this pro wrestling show, so I should shut up until next November? At worst, it's a situation where they promoted it like poo poo on purpose, so when nobody watches it, they can go "oh, well, we tried, nobody cared, more kangaroo kicks it is!"

Yeah I wasn't joking or making poo poo up when I said this tournament is a cudgel even if it's not being promoted like poo poo on purpose the end result is the same.

And there's nothing cringe about being irked when you're told to go gently caress yourself when you've been on board since day one

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

They should have made the hype start earlier than the day of if they were actually going to deliver on good lineups even if :laffo: at no Takeshita

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tournament very good. Promos very very bad is my review

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's something that crowds can feel very WWE in markets in that they pop for interviews/segments but seem cold on wrestling. The fact it was Chicago which normally is a really good wrestling fan crowd for them is also a thing

They're cultivating a new crowd, one that would mostly rather be watching WWE

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Run off your wrestling fans with goofy grab-rear end storylines, charge insane amounts for tickets before caving and offering heavy discounts and BOGOs and wow-ee, lookit that.

They're putting their money where their mouth is

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Tony should fire The Young Bucks and bring back CM Punk to win the crowds back and have a professional merch operation where you can buy a shirt of your favorite wrestler at the show

The fall into this poo poo started before Punk decided to fight someone at a stadium show and got his dumb rear end fired, but if he wasn't such a baby maybe he would have been able to help.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Wish he was still around, Khan could really use somebody to knock a few more monitors on him nowadays.

:emptyquote:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OctoberCountry posted:

Adam Cole has done more long term damage to this promotion than CM Punk

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't want to hear another bad word about Hangman being world champ when it's a loving miracle his Adam Cole feud wasn't complete death.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It was complete death

Nah, but not from lack of Adam Cole trying to kill it

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NienNunb posted:

The MJF thing is so frustrating because you know that he’s better than this. Everything before teaming with Cole (up to and including their very very good first match) was gold. This should be beneath him.

We have to accept that this is what he actually wants to do, firmly planting him as not better than this

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This is what they meant by "its not a sprint its a marathon"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

You're a good man for doing that, Nienunb

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

For how stupid all of that is it was also a stolen belt feud so it was even more of a foregone conclusion and half assed feud

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

My favorite defense is "No, you see, its terrible on purpose to show where his character is. It's not that just completely loving sucks"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

for the record it wasn't a defense i thought it loving sucked too lol

Not gonna lie it reeeaaally felt like cope

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

zero percent better there is already too much roh stink on it

Shibata is great and the type of wrestler who would be perfect for what this is purported to be

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Maybe let people hate in peace

no

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

a tournament for old broken men?

lol ok

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

neoaxd posted:

Looking back fondly on all his cherished memories at the fed... Punk finally sent himself home. It's poetic really.

If Punk ends up back at the fed any part of any credibility or higher ground on anything he claims to have completely doesn't exist anymore.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sure, WWE made him wrestle with MRSA and almost let him die, fired him on his wedding day, lied to him about giving him the Mania main event, and always went out of their way to directly gently caress him over but that's nothing compared to what the Bucks did and be catty

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

All those people are gone or out of power, Papa H is running the show now. He showed that even when Cody smashed his throne that Forgiveness and Business trumps all.

Through Hunter all is possible inshallah

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah it was the week after All In, just feels like an apt picture for the occasion of the Protect Trans Kids shirt guy going to the Big Trump Fundraiser that takes Saudi blood money and spite sued him and fired him on his wedding

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Peanut President posted:

im not sure mjf would be wwe material

Of course not, he's made for NXT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

AEW isn't dead but boy it gradually became TNA