Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, there was a "sequel" announced but it was some stupid loving multiplayer/moba thing? And it got canceled and they said,"WOW GUESS NOBODY WANTS ANY MORE SLEEPING DOGS HUH!?!?!" and that was that. I guess if the original game had come out only a few years ago the "sequel" would have been some gaas bullshit where you have to punch mobsters to unlock purple gear that adds 0.002% speed to cuffing animations or something.

Yeah, once I saw Square Enix in the menu I figured some poo poo like this must've happened. I mean, it's the same company that nowadays does yearly "We love crypto/NFTs/AI" bullshit and seems to only care about Final Fantasy related properties.
Hope they can make more because even if it wasn't fully for me, the game deserves more than it got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vookatos posted:

Yeah, once I saw Square Enix in the menu I figured some poo poo like this must've happened. I mean, it's the same company that nowadays does yearly "We love crypto/NFTs/AI" bullshit and seems to only care about Final Fantasy related properties.
Hope they can make more because even if it wasn't fully for me, the game deserves more than it got.

Sleeping Dogs is barely even a Square game, they just published it. It’s basically the scraps left over from an abandoned True Crime sequel. Unfortunately the developer’s been dead since 2016.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah square was into publishing more stuff outside of its core genres back then, they sold a bunch of studios since then.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten Project Warlock.

Project Warlock is a fairly unique Boomer Shooter in that it takes after Wolfenstein 3D more than its successors.

The levels are short and take about 5 minutes to complete, and there are a ton of them: from 2 to 5 per act, 5 acts per episode, 5 episodes in total.

The game is focused on collecting treasure and secrets, and has light RPG elements where exp gives you the ability to level up your stats. You get exp for collecting treasure and finding secrets, but there are also special collectibles which upgrade your weapon or allow you to buy new spells.

The weapons are insanely fun and there are a ton of them, and unlike actual old shooters, the locations are varied which helps the game a LOT. From The Thing's inspired antarctic levels to modern cityscapes, every episode has unique enemies and details.

The game suffers a bit at the end, with Hell episode being a retread of earlier episodes (but spookier!) and featuring some really tanky enemies. The game is really easy, at least on Normal, and provides enough opportunities to upgrade your ammo cap as well as spells that give you ammo, so by the end I was just running around with what's effectively an infinite rocket launcher. Fun, but gets a little stale after your 10th room of tanky enemies who have three forms.

Despite that, most of the game is incredible: the music is fantastic, the visuals are always a treat, and the length of levels for something inspired by shooters of old is perfect for quick secret hunts and "one more level" type of gaming where you don't stop for hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

The game suffers a bit at the end, with Hell episode being a retread of earlier episodes (but spookier!) and featuring some really tanky enemies. The game is really easy, at least on Normal, and provides enough opportunities to upgrade your ammo cap as well as spells that give you ammo, so by the end I was just running around with what's effectively an infinite rocket launcher. Fun, but gets a little stale after your 10th room of tanky enemies who have three forms.

Flak Cannon can kill a lot of these enemies without letting them change form

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't think Sleepy Dogs was really trying to ape Yakuza at all, it's completely a GTA style open world game, and the PS2 GTAs at that; that's exactly why there are a bunch of side activities that don't even bother with preamble and old-school collectathons all over the shop.

Also it's a personal favorite, brawling in a club while Hudson Mohawk blasts or bombing down the highway to Aberdeen at absurd speeds while Echo Beach is playing is peak gaming, but I can see where your critique is coming from and I can't say it's really wrong it just... doesn't drag the game down for me.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think Sleepy Dogs was really trying to ape Yakuza at all, it's completely a GTA style open world game, and the PS2 GTAs at that; that's exactly why there are a bunch of side activities that don't even bother with preamble and old-school collectathons all over the shop.

Also it's a personal favorite, brawling in a club while Hudson Mohawk blasts or bombing down the highway to Aberdeen at absurd speeds while Echo Beach is playing is peak gaming, but I can see where your critique is coming from and I can't say it's really wrong it just... doesn't drag the game down for me.

Agreed. It was the continuation of True Crime: Streets of LA(and NY), which was a frickin rad cop action movie in videogame form. And SD was a classic John Woo(story-wise)/Johnny To triad movie. Not really a reaction to Yakuza games at all.

Though, i wonder if I would have felt the same way if I'd done Yakuza games first.

Edit- You're a habitual flirt.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just beat the game "Pacific Drive". Cool game about driving and maintaining your car thru a radioactive anomaly that was the Pacific Northwest. I knew a girl who probably would have liked it a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I just beat the game "Pacific Drive". Cool game about driving and maintaining your car thru a radioactive anomaly that was the Pacific Northwest. I knew a girl who probably would have liked it a lot.

Pacific Drive is awesome! It takes place in WA, and as a resident here it’s exactly what the roads are like.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I have completed The Great Ace Attorney 2. A great weight has been lifted.

I played the first Great Ace Attorney in 2021. I'd never played an Ace Attorney before, but it seemed like it'd be fun. I was, honestly, not really prepared for it to be a visual novel - I guess in my head I'd always envisioned more puzzle solving and more proper conversation trees - but god, I loved the story, and the characters. Yes, even Sholmes, if forced to admit it.

I should have just kept playing and done the second game - they're sold as a single compilation, and the first game ends on a cliffhanger - but, for some reason, I didn't. Weirdly, this lead to me experiencing the game the way the Japanese playerbase would have: originally, the games had a two year gap between their releases (2015 and 2017). So, just like those players, I started off the second game trying desperately to remember what the hell was going on.

Thankfully, the game caught me back up pretty quick with a brilliant introductory case. I was surprised by just how different every trial in this game is - there's jumps in time and characters that keep the formula fresh through 45 hours (!) of reading. I also appreciated that the meatiest part of the game in terms of investigation length and puzzle difficulty is right in the middle, so in the end when the twists are coming left and right and the narrative is hurtling towards a finish, it doesn't block you from seeing things through by continuing to increase the challenge. Very well-paced game for its length.

I should note the length there isn't because I'm a slow reader, it's because the game actually prevents you from just pressing A to tap through the dialogue as fast as you can read. This is the same in the first game, and I continue to both think it's the correct design - the animations the characters have are so good and detailed for a VN, to the point you naturally hear them deliver the dialogue as you read it - and also frustrating, because it makes these games long. I would love to play the first 6(!) games in this series, but goddamn, I don't have (checks How Long To Beat) a combined 150 hours. That said, I walked away from this thinking I'll take all of that you got!, so I bet I'll get to at least the first trilogy sooner rather than later.

I have... so many thoughts about this game's story. I played it over the course of a few months, and reviewing my notes, I completely forgot how many weird turns it takes. But ultimately, I'm extremely happy with how it wrapped up, and how all of its mysteries were resolved. I expected it to drop the ball at some point, and it never did. There are a couple deus ex machinas that were a bit too "out-there" - particularly in episode 5 when they just give Sholmes a loving cell phone and a goddamn hologram, though even that leads to some of the best moments in the game - but otherwise nothing felt too cheap or unearned.

I might take some more specific thoughts over to the Ace Attorney thread soon because I feel like I need a debrief on what I just experienced, but, goddamn. Great game.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So I’m a little late to the party but I downloaded the Remnant games in February and man, was I hooked. I just completed my second 100% solo Apocalypse run and all I have left is hardcore apocalypse but I’m not sure I want to attempt it (nightmare was bad enough). May I present “Frank Frank’s melt literally everything and make Remnant 2 bosses a joke” build. Impress your friends! Annoy people online! Enjoy your weird/semi-useless rare items!*

So I fell in love with poison DoT builds in Path of Exile so I decided to try and translate it to Remnant 2 and boy howdy, with the recent buff to the Huntress’ spear, my dreams of melting everything in acid have become a reality and if I would be shocked if this doesn’t get nerfed in the future. DPS doesn’t seem crazy impressive at first but the ramp is loving crazy with the right rings. You can get upwards of 6 stacks of acid DoT on your target and then you can just sit back and laugh while everything dies.

Anyway, here’s the build:

Rings:
* Ahane Crystal. You’re gonna need to beat hardcore on at least veteran to collect it I think but I did it on nightmare. Easiest way to do this is roll Yaesha as your first world, make sure you get the Ravager quest line and then just refuse to fight him and shoot the doe to collect the ring. If you don’t want to gently caress with hardcore mode (which can be crazy frustrating), you can run burden of the destroyer which is almost as good.

* Timekeeper’s jewel. This is a must-have but it’s not hard to get.

* Singed ring which synergizes nicely with our shotgun.

* Stone of malevolence. Still best in class despite the nerf.

Amulet:
* Effluvium enhancer (no one uses this thing lol). This is the engine that is about to drive your insane damage.

Weapons:
* Sparkfire shotgun with corrosive rounds and fetid wounds (self explanatory)

* Nebula with harmonizer (you really only care about the mod).

Classes:
* Ritualist with Miasma
* Medic with the heal shield thing

Relic:
* Shielded heart with elemental damage, casting speed and mod damage.

For your skills see the sidebar and let me know if you want to know why I took what I did but amplitude, regrowth, spirit and expertise are musts. I probably should have gotten rid of long shot (was originally running Enigma) for something else now that I look at it.

Combat pattern for bosses:
Nail boss with your spear, use miasma, pop mod on nebula, switch to your shotgun, pop corrosive round and unload. Once you get a bunch of DoT stacks just sit back and laugh while the boss melts (especially efficient against tough bosses where you can distance yourself like Venom and Tal Ratha) but works just fine against Annihilation.

Use your shielded heart to tank damage you wouldn’t otherwise survive and use your medic heal in a pinch (which also shields you lol). Once the DoTs are applied you can just sit back and focus on surviving. The best part? About nothing resists acid/corrosion. Note that you do not need range to deal damage. So long as your falloff can deal ANY damage, you can apply DoTs and the shotgun auto-applies burn.

This has been my TED talk

* Corrupted savior owns and is not useless

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 23, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the Steam Deck being really good at this, I've continued my visual novel streak by starting over and completing Danganronpa 2 (had tapped out around chapter 4 during a previous attempt, got distracted I imagine) and then running through Danganronpa V3, the latter of which I completed last night. I know the series has a bit of a history here on the SA forums, and to some extent might be a bit played out, but both are excellent titles if you can get onboard with their particular mix of exaggerated anime character tropes and crazy murder setups. 2 has probably the best character in the trilogy, but V3 easily became my favorite due to several factors; a generally solid cast, some twists that lean on the fact that if you're playing the third game in a trilogy you almost assuredly have done the earlier games, and some excellent trial minigames that not only were fun to play and visually interesting, but solved a lot of the problems the earlier games tended to have with characters being weirdly passive in a life-or-death scenario. Great soundtrack too, particularly "Scrum Debate".

Very good stuff.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm very late tot the party but I finished God of War 2018 a couple of days ago. Not much to say that hasn't already been said about this near universally acclaimed game. Its good, turns out. I kind of rushed the final story bits since I wanted to clear it out to get to Dragons Dogma 2, so I will probably go back and do a bunch of the optional stuff like the two additional realms and the Valkyrie fights at some point, which is something I almost never do with games. I was honestly surprised at how good the story and setting were. It has a mythic quality to it that feels more old world than generic fantasy, more like The Green Knight versus Lord of the Rings, if that makes sense. The story has thematic through lines, a proper tragic villain, and some character work that was noticeably better than the vast majority of game stories. Atreus only annoyed me when it was clearly intentional that he was supposed to be annoying and I never got tired of Teal'c shouting "boy!" at him.

The combat is fun and varied enough to keep it interesting through the whole runtime and I feel like the challenge curve stayed pretty even throughout while still throwing trash mobs at you every so often so you could feel like you were getting significantly more powerful. I did beat the final boss on my first go around though, which feels a bit mixed. On the one hand, it feels like there should have been more challenge in the final face off with that fuckin guy but on the other hand winning the fight also felt cinematically meaningful, given the one shot, uncut take style they were going for. Anyway, 10/10 am looking forward to playing Ragnarok at some point soon after I dogma all over this dang dragon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tortolia posted:

Thanks to the Steam Deck being really good at this, I've continued my visual novel streak by starting over and completing Danganronpa 2 (had tapped out around chapter 4 during a previous attempt, got distracted I imagine) and then running through Danganronpa V3, the latter of which I completed last night. I know the series has a bit of a history here on the SA forums, and to some extent might be a bit played out, but both are excellent titles if you can get onboard with their particular mix of exaggerated anime character tropes and crazy murder setups. 2 has probably the best character in the trilogy, but V3 easily became my favorite due to several factors; a generally solid cast, some twists that lean on the fact that if you're playing the third game in a trilogy you almost assuredly have done the earlier games, and some excellent trial minigames that not only were fun to play and visually interesting, but solved a lot of the problems the earlier games tended to have with characters being weirdly passive in a life-or-death scenario. Great soundtrack too, particularly "Scrum Debate".

Very good stuff.

Really liked V3 but was really annoyed by (end of first trial spoiler) the fact that you end up playing as the wimpy Shuichi rather than the far-more-interesting Kaede. The twist of the first trial being that you were the murderer was a cool one, for sure, but I would've rather you start out as the typical boring DR protag, some generic dude, before he's executed and you play as her instead

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Really liked V3 but was really annoyed by (end of first trial spoiler) the fact that you end up playing as the wimpy Shuichi rather than the far-more-interesting Kaede. The twist of the first trial being that you were the murderer was a cool one, for sure, but I would've rather you start out as the typical boring DR protag, some generic dude, before he's executed and you play as her instead

I agree, and the only thing I can really come up with as a rationalization for why they did it was they wanted to lean on the Shuichi/Kaito bros dynamic. It didn't ruin things for me and I appreciated the trial 1 reveal, but it was a missed opportunity in a lot of ways.

In other "finishing things" news, I realized I hadn't wrapped it up yet and the game was using almost 100 GB on my PS5, so I sat down and finished the Forspoken DLC, which I'd started over the summer. Now, I might be hot taking this one a bit, but I liked Forspoken quite a bit, and I'm sad that it got universally shat on for reasons. It's a solid B+ title that has a lot of upfront pacing and tone issues but has some of the most satisfying exploration and open world combat I've touched in a good long while, so it ended up being in my favorites of last year. The DLC is...fine. It's short, there's some neat gimmicks tied to the plot setup (it's effectively a prequel story), and it ends with an incredibly blatant "Here's the sequel story hook" reveal that won't amount to anything since the game bombed, but I didn't regret the few hours I put into it either; more Forspoken is fine by me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

abraham linksys posted:

I have completed The Great Ace Attorney 2. A great weight has been lifted.

I played the first Great Ace Attorney in 2021. I'd never played an Ace Attorney before, but it seemed like it'd be fun. I was, honestly, not really prepared for it to be a visual novel - I guess in my head I'd always envisioned more puzzle solving and more proper conversation trees - but god, I loved the story, and the characters. Yes, even Sholmes, if forced to admit it.

I should have just kept playing and done the second game - they're sold as a single compilation, and the first game ends on a cliffhanger - but, for some reason, I didn't. Weirdly, this lead to me experiencing the game the way the Japanese playerbase would have: originally, the games had a two year gap between their releases (2015 and 2017). So, just like those players, I started off the second game trying desperately to remember what the hell was going on.

Thankfully, the game caught me back up pretty quick with a brilliant introductory case. I was surprised by just how different every trial in this game is - there's jumps in time and characters that keep the formula fresh through 45 hours (!) of reading. I also appreciated that the meatiest part of the game in terms of investigation length and puzzle difficulty is right in the middle, so in the end when the twists are coming left and right and the narrative is hurtling towards a finish, it doesn't block you from seeing things through by continuing to increase the challenge. Very well-paced game for its length.

I should note the length there isn't because I'm a slow reader, it's because the game actually prevents you from just pressing A to tap through the dialogue as fast as you can read. This is the same in the first game, and I continue to both think it's the correct design - the animations the characters have are so good and detailed for a VN, to the point you naturally hear them deliver the dialogue as you read it - and also frustrating, because it makes these games long. I would love to play the first 6(!) games in this series, but goddamn, I don't have (checks How Long To Beat) a combined 150 hours. That said, I walked away from this thinking I'll take all of that you got!, so I bet I'll get to at least the first trilogy sooner rather than later.

I have... so many thoughts about this game's story. I played it over the course of a few months, and reviewing my notes, I completely forgot how many weird turns it takes. But ultimately, I'm extremely happy with how it wrapped up, and how all of its mysteries were resolved. I expected it to drop the ball at some point, and it never did. There are a couple deus ex machinas that were a bit too "out-there" - particularly in episode 5 when they just give Sholmes a loving cell phone and a goddamn hologram, though even that leads to some of the best moments in the game - but otherwise nothing felt too cheap or unearned.

I might take some more specific thoughts over to the Ace Attorney thread soon because I feel like I need a debrief on what I just experienced, but, goddamn. Great game.

The Ace Attorney games allow you to skip lines. The 2D ones always, the 3D ones when there isn't an elaborate animation going on (this is not as often as you might think). But I'd swear this was the case for the Great Ace Attorney as well!

Also the 2 compilations are both trilogies, and as such they're much easier to play one game at a time with long breaks in between without losing the plot. My playtimes are ~62 hours for Great Ace Attorney, 44 for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, and ~50 for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy. But note that I think I'm a decently fast reader and sometimes I would skip lines before the voice over was finished, and I also skipped the Big Top case in the Phoenix Wright trilogy because it seems to be universally panned.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragon's Dogma 2 Finished the main storyline, but obviously still have dozens of hours left of side content. Jesus gently caress, this is my favorite open world RPG ever. I don't know how i'm gonna go back to other RPGs like this. The world feels real, and dynamic. No world map with collectibles, no climbing towers to unlock more collectibles, the quests are all their own self contained stories that are thoughtful and make a difference in the gameworld. The NPCs have their own actual lives. The world just feels full of life and lived in. So much detail has gone into every single aspect of making this feel like a real breathing world that you live in, instead of play in, and that is why I love it so much.

The pawn system is great and one of my favorite features of DD2. It's such an unique approach; you have your own personal pawn, and then you recruit two that are created by other players. The combat is designed around a four group dynamic. I love all of the little details in how all of this works. The pawns will talk to you and each other, show you quest locations if their master (another player) did that quest already. You can do goofy poo poo like jump off cliffs and roofs and a pawn in your group down below will catch you.

Other than performance issues across all platforms, DD2 is perfect in every other way. This is a new standard in open world RPGs that addresses every complaint people have about games from the likes of UBISoft and EA Games. It asks, what if we did what gamers actually wanted (micro-transactions not with standing)? and took the risk and did it. When you take risks as a game developer, and try not to make a game made by committee and group focus testing, DD2 is the end result, and SURPRISE, it actually works out extremely well.

10/10 and one of my new favorite RPGs ever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 Finished the main storyline, but obviously still have dozens of hours left of side content. Jesus gently caress, this is my favorite open world RPG ever. I don't know how i'm gonna go back to other RPGs like this. The world feels real, and dynamic. No world map with collectibles, no climbing towers to unlock more collectibles, the quests are all their own self contained stories that are thoughtful and make a difference in the gameworld. The NPCs have their own actual lives. The world just feels full of life and lived in. So much detail has gone into every single aspect of making this feel like a real breathing world that you live in, instead of play in, and that is why I love it so much.

The pawn system is great and one of my favorite features of DD2. It's such an unique approach; you have your own personal pawn, and then you recruit two that are created by other players. The combat is designed around a four group dynamic. I love all of the little details in how all of this works. The pawns will talk to you and each other, show you quest locations if their master (another player) did that quest already. You can do goofy poo poo like jump off cliffs and roofs and a pawn in your group down below will catch you.

Other than performance issues across all platforms, DD2 is perfect in every other way. This is a new standard in open world RPGs that addresses every complaint people have about games from the likes of UBISoft and EA Games. It asks, what if we did what gamers actually wanted (micro-transactions not with standing)? and took the risk and did it. When you take risks as a game developer, and try not to make a game made by committee and group focus testing, DD2 is the end result, and SURPRISE, it actually works out extremely well.

It's legit insane that you finished this, what the gently caress lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dragon's Dogma really does a great job of representing those big brawls you get into in a tabletop game where people are leaping across the room, there's magic whizzing by, you turn to see your ally is on another enemy just hacking away at it so you jam your sword in before running off to take care of the foe that's approaching the wizard who's in the midst of another spell, etc.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I beat The Swapper. I really liked it whenever it came out but got frustrated on one level and never came back to it. Until this past weekend! I had to look at some clips to get me on the right track for most of the final puzzles. Quick game, interesting story. Reminded me a bit of the book Blindsight. It's neat that all the assets were made of clay and digitized. Gives it an interesting look.

I really like puzzle games but I often get to a point where I have to look stuff up and then I feel like a dummy. I paid to have puzzles to solve and then I just watch someone else solve it and do what they do. Idk. I think it's probably more fun than opening the game up for an hour or so every night and staring dumbfounded at the same puzzle until eureka!

It's why I've never finished Baba is You, Railbound, The Talos Principle, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

It's legit insane that you finished this, what the gently caress lol

The main storyline is actually pretty short. Like I have 26 hours played so far and there is still a lot left for quests, but I have a lot of the outside world uncovered.

Morpheus posted:

Dragon's Dogma really does a great job of representing those big brawls you get into in a tabletop game where people are leaping across the room, there's magic whizzing by, you turn to see your ally is on another enemy just hacking away at it so you jam your sword in before running off to take care of the foe that's approaching the wizard who's in the midst of another spell, etc.

Yeah! DD2 is really just a big sandbox D&D adventure where you explore and make your own fun.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

apophenium posted:

I really like puzzle games but I often get to a point where I have to look stuff up and then I feel like a dummy. I paid to have puzzles to solve and then I just watch someone else solve it and do what they do. Idk. I think it's probably more fun than opening the game up for an hour or so every night and staring dumbfounded at the same puzzle until eureka!

Same. It's hard finding a puzzle game I like because I find that, if I look up the solution for one puzzle, then the seal is broken, so to speak, and now I'll likely just look up the solution for any puzzle I have even the slightest amount of trouble with. Stuff like The Witness was juuuust on the precipice of having me look stuff up, but thankfully I was able to make it through without. Because I knew that if I looked up a puzzle, then I'm going to lose the 'pull' of the game, I guess. But games like Golden Idol and Obra Dinn were that perfect level where things were tough, but not to the point of frustration.

Games like, well, anything by Zachtronics are pretty much right out for that reason. Baba is You as well, even though I love the game, I feel like an absolute dummy real quick and just hit roadblocks I can't surpass.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Speaking of puzzle games, I just finished the plat for Superliminal, a fun little game where the puzzles are mostly based on perception and optical illusions. The game itself isn't very hard, but the 35-minute speedrun is pretty tough (I ended up clearing it by 7 seconds).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I just fully beat Total War: Warhammer III, which is to say that, among some other bullshit, I finished Very Hard campaigns for all ~25 macro factions. Only took me 483 hours!

Overall, game does a great job of making each faction feel pretty different both in battle and on the campaign map. Even some of the very old and unloved factions ported over from game one still hold up -- there's something very satisfying about the northern ice barbarians or orcs being able to take over entire rival tribes just by taking out the faction's leader in battle. Still, nothing beats the thing that got me into these games in the first place, which is sending an army of magic dinosaurs in to crush some normal-rear end guys.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just beat West of Loathing and Shadows Over Loathing. Definitely some of the funniest games I've ever played and when the writing decides to take a turn for the serious it can actually be pretty compelling.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I just beat West of Loathing and Shadows Over Loathing. Definitely some of the funniest games I've ever played and when the writing decides to take a turn for the serious it can actually be pretty compelling.

Uh, spoiling this because I hate affecting someone's enjoyment of something, even post-hoc:

The person who makes these is apparently an abuser, which sucks (I mean, for the obvious reasons) because before I knew about that, I loved these titles and their writing. I would've jumped at the opportunity to play Shadows, but now...eh.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

I said come in! posted:

Ok, important question - do you actually go to the moon in this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, important question - do you actually go to the moon in this?

no! and i'm so sad about this after actually learning recently that you were meant to in the first game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

no! and i'm so sad about this after actually learning recently that you were meant to in the first game.

Dang, I do like the game, the big monster setpieces are amazing, action is very cool and satisfying. But I feel like they really didn't change that much from the first game apart from better graphics and bigger map. You had 10 years to figure this out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Dang, I do like the game, the big monster setpieces are amazing, action is very cool and satisfying. But I feel like they really didn't change that much from the first game apart from better graphics and bigger map. You had 10 years to figure this out.

Yeah I hope for a 3rd game, we get destructible environments, and swimming.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I hope for a 3rd game, we get destructible environments, and swimming.

Yes, and send me to the goddamn moon. The idea of a fantasy setting going to space is so rad, I can't believe no one is picking it up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ultima 1

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Final Fantasy 4 (and 8 to a lesser extent)

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Outcast A New Beginning.
First game I actually have finished on PS5 in what feels like years. I'm a big fan of the original and this improves it in every way. Smooth ways to transport yourself around the planet with your rocketpack and the game looks gorgeous. Some initial jank, but it got patched out. And the soundtrack, like the first one, is scored by a symphony orchestra.
Loved every second of it. Doesn't seem like it got much press or promotion prior to release though sadly.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

gallilee posted:

Outcast A New Beginning.

I just started playing it because they put it on a ridiculous sale recently and I've known of the OG since 2008-9.

I like it and am really surprised at the symphony of both music and atmosphere this game exudes. It's like I'm playing from a setting in one of my old Heavy Metal magazines, and it's really exciting and engaging stuff because of that masterful blend.

The voice acting, at least in the farms, is the only flaw I see in it really. It's almost as if they found VA people who are both not confident in English AND trying to sound foreign. The voice modulation is also a choice that they made.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
I finally got through Pentiment on my third time starting it up, determined to stick with it for more than an hour this time, and I finally let it sink in its hooks. I bought it late last year after reading the GOTY thread, not really knowing anything about it besides the art. The writing in this game is top-notch. The village and characters feel so dynamic based on the choices that this game is the ideal medium to portray the story it wants to tell. Still, the gameplay loop, while serving the story incredibly well, outstayed its welcome with me by about 2-3 hours. For anyone familiar with the Trails games, it felt like running around Crossbell talking to every NPC after each plot beat in order to find any hidden quests. Especially when the game's prompting me to go to bed to advance the time activated every gaming instinct I have to go check every area once again so as not to lock myself out of anything. And excepting the surprisingly fun card game, the few minigames thrown in felt more like unnecessary padding than a welcome breather. So I spent a good bit in Act III trying to advance the endgame by mashing through dialogues with villagers I didn't care about but was still forced to talk to. Kudos to it, however, for including so many conversations or events that I was certain would become plot relevant and either never did or did in a completely unexpected way. And for how much can be inferred about the village and its inhabitants by the things not said. Ultimately, I'm glad to have stuck with it, saw the story to the end, and learned you should never let me try to solve a murder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yeah and also same to the game confirming my suspicions that I would be the world's worst detective.

I think I would probably also be stupid enough to (act 2 ending) try and save books from the fire as well.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

lordfrikk posted:

The Ace Attorney games allow you to skip lines. The 2D ones always, the 3D ones when there isn't an elaborate animation going on (this is not as often as you might think). But I'd swear this was the case for the Great Ace Attorney as well!

Also the 2 compilations are both trilogies, and as such they're much easier to play one game at a time with long breaks in between without losing the plot. My playtimes are ~62 hours for Great Ace Attorney, 44 for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, and ~50 for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy. But note that I think I'm a decently fast reader and sometimes I would skip lines before the voice over was finished, and I also skipped the Big Top case in the Phoenix Wright trilogy because it seems to be universally panned.

thanks for the heads up on this! started playing the first Ace Attorney and was happy to see that I can skip lines, yeah. I'm pretty sure GAA doesn't let you skip a line the first time you're hearing it (you can hold B to skip previously heard lines like when there's a branching path in one of the "press" bits), but maybe I missed a setting

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I'm late to the party, but I finally finished Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom.

This is a game I bought physically on switch years ago, bounced off of it at least twice, and during the lead up to PAX East this year, I decided to try and finish it. Ended up being too busy at the show and didn't finish it there like I had thought I would, instead just finished it tonight, twice. The first time the cutscene didn't trigger.

If you don't know, it is a light Metroidvania. Actually reminding me more of the amazing Shantae games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just 100% Doronko Wanko. A free game that exists to help with rookie game designers, I think. There are three such games. You are a dog who paints your house with whatever you roll over and cause millions of damage while doing so. The gameplay is picking up stuff and shaking paint at things until you get gifts that advance the game. A guide will help since it wants you to be at a specific spot to get a badge or finding one object that there are multiple of. It takes much longer finding everything or you can finish it in several minutes.