Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Finally had a friend sit down with me and play through Children of Morta. Pretty good co-op fun, we didn't find the characters very balanced but the game was pretty and gameplay solid. ~7/10

used The Messenger and DLC to break in my OLED deck. Minor gripes but otherwise a fun platform experience. Probably would also put it at a 7/10.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

about a week ago I finished Omori, at the recommendation of a friend. it's one of those games over the past few years that did that cutesiness-hides-psychological-horror structure (which I knew going in). if I'm honest, I didn't really like it. in part that's because it's a huge love letter to earthbound and similar games, and my first console was an n64, so I missed that era. also, I'm never one for horror in general, and in particular there's one sequence towards the end black space that nearly lost me - in part because I felt tricked into doing something horrible (though if I had just tried one loving button I could've avoided it), in part because I was rolling my eyes pretty hard at the repeated imagery of Basil dying violently, and in part because of the repeated allusions to a final secret truth, which I always find irritating in media. also you're supposed to lose to the final boss, but it only counts once you've gotten far enough in to I think phase 6, so when I did lose to phase 5 and had to do the whole thing over I was irritated.

but I was sincerely not expecting what that final secret truth was, and was duly affected by it, so credit where credit is due. and I knew that I got the "good ending" because the achievement pop up said so explicitly, but I was surprised when my friend told me that there was an entire other route starting from a dialogue option that I didn't expect to be a branch point, and that impresses me. so I'm not gonna replay it and I wouldn't put it in game of the year discussion of whenever it came out, but it was a solid game even if I didn't like it personally.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just finished the Age of Empires 4 campaigns. The English, Russian, and French campaigns were not good imo. The Mongol campaign did feel good to me, with more standout mission design and clear connections between each mission. The other campaigns pluck you in and out of random battles on a 1-2 hundred year timeline and so they don't feel like proper campaigns so much as lightly themed mission packs. I'm not a big fan of the Age of Empires formula but I'm also desperate for decent rts campaigns so I'll probably come back to it to play the new DLC next year.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I recently beat Moonring, which is a free (free((free))) RPG on Steam that is strongly influenced by 80s RPGs like Ultima 4. It has a very cool retro aesthetic, catchy music, and really does feel like you're playing a game from that era. It was made by one of the codevelopers of Fable.

This inspired me to replay Ultima 4 itself, on the xu4 port. It's revolutionary in that the goal isn't to save the world, defeat the evil villain, or rescue the princess. The goal is simply to become a better person, reflected by becoming an avatar of the eight virtues. Everyone should play it. Ultima 4 is free on GOG.

I'm working on Ultima 6 now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This might be better suited to the retrogames subforum, but over the last month I've 100%ed five different full-length Zero Mission romhacks. Currently working on a sixth.

Metroid: Scrolls 6
Spooky Mission 2: The Nightmare Before Christmas
Metroid: Desolation
Metroid: New Zero Mission
Metroid: Lost Chozo

Those first three are all incredibly well-made and practically stand on their own as original fangames. Now that people are figuring out what MAGE is capable of there are some really innovative hacks popping up.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I've beaten two games in two weeks! Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami remake of 1. I haven't actually followed through and beaten a game in... I'm afraid to say years, poo poo, Mass Effect 2 in the LE in 2021?

They're good! And engaging! I'm just happy for myself.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I've beaten all the main scenarios of Wizardry: The Five Ordeals which I have been hyperfixating on for eons. Kind of jank translation at times - some of the fan-written stuff even gets this weird thing where you can translate the English back to Japanese and then into English and get a BETTER translation -- but it's basically all the classic era -Wizardry you can eat, with a few tiny QoL elements like item storage and the ability to soft reset if you're about to lose your entire party or something (which may not seem like it's in the spirit of classic Wizardry but you kind of don't care after spending one too many hours having to rebuild ANOTHER party from scratch after a completely lost party at floor 10). I'm playing a custom scenario now which is basically one long love letter to Wizardry IV.

I kind of wish I could do an LP of it, but I have absolutely no executive functioning and I know the moment my hyperfixation swaps over that LP would be dead in the water. Still.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I got on a horror kick for Halloween and beat both Evil Withins for the first time, with my beating EW2 a few days before Thanksgiving. The series really wears its influences on its sleeve: the first EW is just a mediocre RE clone with some incredibly dumb bullshit thrown in for good measure, while the second, being a mix of TLoU/RE/PT/SH, was a much more enjoyable experience. The writing is bad across both games, but it works a lot better in EW2

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Foul Fowl posted:

i also enjoyed reading what games everyone beat :)
My goodGoon buddy CaptainRat just pointed me to this thread after I told our group text that I spent my Thanksgiving beating three games in lieu of having anyone around to celebrate with, so I am here for you

And that was the capstone to a week where I also beat TWO OTHER games oh my goodness

Pentiment - I should have a list just of games where I cried at some point along the line, and this one would certainly join it. Pretty amazing that they were able to reel me back in emotionally considering I quit about halfway through the game and had basically forgotten every character and plot point since playing it on release, yet still could not believe they did my boy Vácslav so dirty (he probably felt vindicated by his fate, honestly, especially I got the impression Artemis was his co-conspirator). You really owe it to yourself to play this game, because you are probably never going to see another title like it unless Josh Sawyer gets the go-ahead for a spiritual successor somewhere down the line. Also you KNOW I popped huge for the loving landsknecht; you did it, Rope Kid, you really did it

Tyranny - The dramatic opening notes of this game's theme song pop into my head so frequently that I figured I had to finally finish it up, particularly since I remember hearing it was short and easy (I disagree with both sentiments, at least unless you are playing on easy mode and then it does indeed go by pretty quickly). I am not one of those people who wishes they had made more Tyranny games instead of more Pillars of Eternity games, but I can definitely see why this game has a fanbase. It feels unlike any other isometric CRPG despite on the surface looking a lot like others, and you can tell they built up enough lore and narrative potential here to last through a trilogy or more. And as usual Obsidian had a good mix of companions so interesting you wish you could bring them to other games and companions who are less dramatically astounding but still enjoyable to have along for the ride.

I finally started replaying Fallout: New Vegas alongside these two without even having consciously realized I was having a Josh Sawyer Gaming Block, as I was just picking half-finished games of different types to close out, but then I discovered New Vegas absolutely loathes Windows 11 and crashed so often I gave up even given how much I love it dearly

Refunct - Dammit why do they always get me with these short whimsical art pieces masquerading as games. Definitely had fun playing it though.

Continue?9876543210 - Even though nobody who missed this game's initial release in 2014 has probably heard of it, its plot honestly holds up (you just died in an unnamed arcade game and ostensibly did not have any quarters left and now your protagonist is despairing over his world ending and trying to avoid nothingness) and I had a pleasant enough time playing it for the like 30 minutes it took to see its ending (probably the worst possible ending of course)

Gunpoint - I always found this weird puzzle/platformer/slapstick game incredibly appealing, but the wonky-rear end resolution issues combined with occasionally just having no idea what to do kept me from finishing it for years, despite it also taking like an hour if you have any clue what you are doing.

Also should I play Alan Wake 2 if I kind of hated Alan Wake? Yes? Awesome

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just beat Aliens: Fireteam Elite and it's a very ok game that could be mildly good if they'd just fix all the extensive problems with multiplayer and the many many quality of life issues it has.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I got to 100% in the Talos Principle 2 and I'm already writing up my list of games to post in the goty thread. I've played over 100 (probably even 150) and I'm narrowing it down to the top 50.

At the very bottom is final fantasy 2 pixel remaster. You'll just have to wait for the goty thread to see more!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

(lunacid ) (steam deck)

a really wonderful king's field-like. it's surprisingly short, maybe 10-12 hours, and it's one of those that easily could have been so much less than it is. it's not very difficult, and the combat and gameplay are pretty simple, but the combination of immaculate vibes, locations, limited saves, bopping music, and sense of mystery really come together to make it a fun and interesting game. it's the kind of game that has a lot of identical corridors but somehow you don't mind while playing. areas which seem incredibly difficult at first gradually open up, once you find suitable weapons and spells for them. the secrets feel significant. big recommend.

played a bunch of this, haven't completed but i still might it was only 2 weeks ago i drifted off for other games.

it's good, it's got a great atmosphere and constantly has this feeling of mystery about it because the levels are actually filled with secrets that aren't TOO hard to find but hard enough, plus it doesn't explain anything much upfront and the logic of the world makes no sense

the only thing is, it's so easy once you get magic and a ranged weapon that it is basically a walking simulator and the levels are gargantuan not in complexity but in square metres. it reminds me of late 90's/early 2000's games in a bad way before they figured out the sense of scale. bringing back this 'this hallway is about 20 times bigger than it needs to be' feeling is definitely intentional, but i think it is one of the things you don't bring back because it's just kinda boring.

but yeah, where i left it was deep in the terminus prison which was the coolest looking level so far and the castle before that was great, along with the accursed tomb. definitely a good game worth a few bucks.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Credits on Baldurs Gate 3. Excellent game definitely GOTY and probably the best game I've played this like vague console generation. I hated the difficulty spike about midway through act 3. I'm bad at the kind of lateral thinking a game this open and expansive in its combat and gear options allows, and its at that point where it becomes almost required to. But the story was incredible I spent 70 hours and missed several companions let alone story parts. Will play again someday.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

roomtone posted:

played a bunch of this, haven't completed but i still might it was only 2 weeks ago i drifted off for other games.

it's good, it's got a great atmosphere and constantly has this feeling of mystery about it because the levels are actually filled with secrets that aren't TOO hard to find but hard enough, plus it doesn't explain anything much upfront and the logic of the world makes no sense

the only thing is, it's so easy once you get magic and a ranged weapon that it is basically a walking simulator and the levels are gargantuan not in complexity but in square metres. it reminds me of late 90's/early 2000's games in a bad way before they figured out the sense of scale. bringing back this 'this hallway is about 20 times bigger than it needs to be' feeling is definitely intentional, but i think it is one of the things you don't bring back because it's just kinda boring.

but yeah, where i left it was deep in the terminus prison which was the coolest looking level so far and the castle before that was great, along with the accursed tomb. definitely a good game worth a few bucks.

it definitely gets away with some stuff i would hate in other games because of Vibes. i think the exploration of the world is strong enough that i don't mind the level design being deliberately obtuse and i even think it adds to the overall feeling i have playing the game. though, as i only learned in the last 30 mins of the game, there's an option to have a compass lol

i deliberately only used melee because ranged and magic seemed ridiculously op (the fromsoft special) and that was in fact the case.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Beat Lords of the Fallen (The recent one :v:) a few days ago. After waiting a bit for patches to smooth over it's admittedly rough performance and immediate gameplay issues, I found the game to be a surprisingly effective "Soulslike" affair.

My initial impression was a sense of familiarity with the gameplay and "feeling" that comes from a fair amount of time in the various FromSoft titles. You could probably play through Elden Ring and then immediately drop into this with little to no resistance. There are a few relatively unique mechanics, one of which does most of the heavy lifting in differentiating the game from it's cousins, but the overall sensation is very "Dark Souls."

The setting is unapologetically "grimdark" fantasy affair, touching a bunch of your usual archetypes (ENIGMATIC NETHERWORLD, CORRUPTED HOLY RELIGION, FIERY DEMONIC INFLUENCE, so forth) without irony. But I found it effective and very pretty in the depictions.

My only criticism would be that the overall balance of bosses could use some refining, some of which feeling a bit lackluster in the later portions of the game (one being particularly disappointing). The devs have pushed patches that have tuned up some encounters and I've heard NG+ feels like a more rounded experience if you are a veteran of getting your head caved by monsters as an entertainment.

I will for sure be revisiting in the future, once more content and tuning has been applied.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Now I beat Tiny Tina's Wonderlands! I was a little surprised that it is now my favorite Borderlands game, but I see they are making a sequel so clearly I was not the only person who found it astoundingly good. It fits Borderlands' vibes better than the mainline series does, as fourth-wall-breaking and comedic coincidences make far more sense with tabletop gaming's permeable boundaries than in a traditional narrative.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just beat Blasphemous. for some reason I had avoided it until now. I guess I thought the initial reviews were not so good and also I thought it was more soulslike than metroidvania (it's way more metroidvania). Anyway, that game rules. Didn't know it had the DS-style missable quests so I missed a lot and won't be playing it again to fix that, but will be playing Blasphemous 2 with a guide

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Finished the Leon A run of RE2 Remake. Never played it back in the day, but I've played 5, 6, 7, and 8. Wanted to play it so I could play RE4. I have so many games I want to play next, but I think I'm doing a disservice by not playing as Claire so I'm doing her B run now. Hopefully I can go faster and be less scared.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just beat Elden Ring again, without stepping foot on Altus (not counting Leyndell itself) which is kind of a neat thing to let the player do. Hardest bosses of those I fought were definitely Malekith and the knight right before Malekith. I think Malenia was the only significant one I skipped.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Max Payne 3 was completely off my radar when it released but I grabbed it on sale and beat it last week. It was... pretty good? The gunplay felt great, just super punchy and visceral, and the enemy reactions really sell the combat, making it feel extremely weighty and satisfying. I enjoyed the story more than I expected too - I wouldn't say there was a lot of nuance or emotional resonance, but it was just a really well executed crime story about a hosed up little man being hired specifically to play the role of a hosed up little man, slowly realizing that, and taking steps to do better and become an ever-so-slightly less hosed up little man. That said, I kind of hated the pacing and overall design. I'm sure plenty of words have been written about the cutscenes after every single encounter but it just absolutely killed the pacing and made the levels feel incredibly disjointed. I don't need a cutscene showing Max walking from one room to the next room, then seeing some guys walk in and ducking behind cover. It's okay to just let me, y'know, walk from one room to the next room, see some guys walk in, and duck behind cover myself (or don't, because it's Max Payne and I could just, like, start shooting in their general direction). I certainly don't need that kind of cutscene between every single fight. I also didn't care for the dozen or so turret-type sequences, or the equally-frequent times the game forced you into a scripted slow-motion shooting gallery sequence where you're diving onto or falling off of something - it just felt like the game was trying way too hard to be cool and shoving it in your face, instead of just creating situations where you could do those kind of things and letting it happen naturally. The "trying too hard" feeling extended into the cutscenes too, with constant chromatic aberrations and text overlays that just didn't work for me and didn't have a tenth of the charm of the older games' comic panels.

That said, the gameplay was good enough to overcome a lot of the shortfalls and I could see myself replaying it. It also made me want to go back through the older games, which I've started on and may make another post about.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I finished the THPS 1+2 remake at launch. But as far as post-game, I have been slowly beating inane challenges that nobody asked for.

(Full disclosure: I'm also ~100 watch hours away from being invited to join the YT "Give me money for the ads you put on my videos" club, so feel free to let those playlists run)

I think I got my $40 worth out of this game.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
i haven't finished a game in a little while because i'm a sick pervert who plays dota 2, but i did re-beat fallout 3 earlier this year. was very fun to revisit, despite that most criticisms of its story are still pretty apt.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I finished Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, it's a card game rpg that's alright. The mechanics of the game are decent enough. You build your deck by adding 8 cards from each of your 3 active party members, you draw until you have 6 cards in your hand each turn, play 3, and if you play 3 cards from the same character in a turn they take a bonus action depending on their equipped weapon. Later cards also have bonuses if a specific party member took an action earlier in the turn, so it isn't always about trying to match 3. Some cards cost resources that are generated by playing any basic attack or upgrade card so there's a natural ebb and flow to most fights.

Late in the game you have a ton of options for building an interesting deck, it's just brought down by a couple big issues I have with the game.
1. It took way too long to assemble enough cards for me to make real decisions with building my deck. Even 6 hours into the game (granted I am slower than the average elite gamer on these forums), I wasn't building for any synergy beyond keeping a decent balance of basic cards in each character's set of 8 to make sure I could reliably get the match 3 and pay for my expensive attacks and heals. There just weren't any options besides that for most of the story. I also think it's hosed up that they put some cards in well hidden treasure chests, some that are keystones to a specific build you might like to try.
2. The game is really stingy with its gold, crafting, and upgrade materials. Did you spend everything on a build that you don't like anymore? Just wanna change it up? Too bad, go grind random enemies, or maybe you can try the arena that only opens up when you've reached the final act. From the moment I unlocked the character that could mug enemies I kept them in my team for the entire rest of the game and I was still gold poor at the end of it.

Getting a full collection was balanced around reaching 100% on ng+ rather than on your first run, and that sucks! Really bringing down what should have been a very good game.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Just beat Alan Wake 2 despite being the biggest of babies around horror games. Super good, control made me a remedy fanboy and i loved this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Max Payne 3 was completely off my radar when it released but I grabbed it on sale and beat it last week. It was... pretty good? The gunplay felt great, just super punchy and visceral, and the enemy reactions really sell the combat, making it feel extremely weighty and satisfying. I enjoyed the story more than I expected too - I wouldn't say there was a lot of nuance or emotional resonance, but it was just a really well executed crime story about a hosed up little man being hired specifically to play the role of a hosed up little man, slowly realizing that, and taking steps to do better and become an ever-so-slightly less hosed up little man. That said, I kind of hated the pacing and overall design. I'm sure plenty of words have been written about the cutscenes after every single encounter but it just absolutely killed the pacing and made the levels feel incredibly disjointed. I don't need a cutscene showing Max walking from one room to the next room, then seeing some guys walk in and ducking behind cover. It's okay to just let me, y'know, walk from one room to the next room, see some guys walk in, and duck behind cover myself (or don't, because it's Max Payne and I could just, like, start shooting in their general direction). I certainly don't need that kind of cutscene between every single fight. I also didn't care for the dozen or so turret-type sequences, or the equally-frequent times the game forced you into a scripted slow-motion shooting gallery sequence where you're diving onto or falling off of something - it just felt like the game was trying way too hard to be cool and shoving it in your face, instead of just creating situations where you could do those kind of things and letting it happen naturally. The "trying too hard" feeling extended into the cutscenes too, with constant chromatic aberrations and text overlays that just didn't work for me and didn't have a tenth of the charm of the older games' comic panels.

That said, the gameplay was good enough to overcome a lot of the shortfalls and I could see myself replaying it. It also made me want to go back through the older games, which I've started on and may make another post about.

Even if MP3 is an okay game, I deeply resent it for representing the fact that Remedy can't make Max Payne the protagonist of Alan Wake's pulp crime novels and Saga's partner.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Just finished Cats Organized Neatly, a good example of why presentation matters. Gameplay-wise it's a completely standard tiling puzzle on a grid of squares, but all the pieces you move around are cats that meow when you pick them up or rotate them. Every time you meet a new cat the game shows you a little blurb with the cat's name and a description of its personality. It's very cute. Now to play the sequel, Dogs Organized Neatly.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Even if MP3 is an okay game, I deeply resent it for representing the fact that Remedy can't make Max Payne the protagonist of Alan Wake's pulp crime novels and Saga's partner.

Right but then we wouldn't have gotten the line "another case for Casey, he said to the audience" so who's to say what's right or wrong

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

I beat the PS4 ratchet and clank reboot last week before starting in on Rift Apart.

All the gameplay bits were fun and every visual aspect was great but the writing seemed real rough. Its like they forgot to establish any sort of relationship between any of the characters, so I never really knew or cared about who was talking on the radio. Also the prologue of Rift Apart referenced poo poo I just...didn't do in the first game? Or why is the boss that I dropped into a sun alive now?

The gameplay made up for it but it was just bizarre.

Rift Apart seems much better about all that though so I'm excited to play more.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lethrom posted:

All the gameplay bits were fun and every visual aspect was great but the writing seemed real rough. Its like they forgot to establish any sort of relationship between any of the characters, so I never really knew or cared about who was talking on the radio. Also the prologue of Rift Apart referenced poo poo I just...didn't do in the first game? Or why is the boss that I dropped into a sun alive now?

The reboot makes some more sense if you watch the movie, and Rift Apart makes more sense if you just ignore the reboot continuity completely or treat it as Qwark's version of events. This does mean that if you want to fully understand what's going on in Rift Apart you need to play several PS3 exclusives, but the prologue catches you up pretty well.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Unreal_One posted:

The reboot makes some more sense if you watch the movie, and Rift Apart makes more sense if you just ignore the reboot continuity completely or treat it as Qwark's version of events. This does mean that if you want to fully understand what's going on in Rift Apart you need to play several PS3 exclusives, but the prologue catches you up pretty well.

Ooooooooh that explains a lot. I had thought Rift Apart was just a direct sequel so thanks for clarifying that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished Hardspace: Shipbreaker and got the good ending where you finish repairing your personal ship. Great game, methodically breaking down a massive ship piece by piece is very satisfying and there are enough hazards to keep things interesting for the duration of the campaign. Disconnecting reactors was the best part despite maybe being a bit too easy, they always have cooling systems and thruster connections to worry about but you can generally just ignore those as long as you have a clear path to pull it out and throw it in the barge quickly. Same goes for playing the fuse minigame for those triangular power generators when you can yank the thing off instead with seemingly no downside.

Never made it to rank 10 ships, either I got through it too fast or those are intended for people who keep playing after completing the game. The larger rank 9 cargo ships were already the size of the entire ship dock so the rank 10 ones can't be too much bigger. Might come back to the game from time to time to keep ranking up, seems like a good thing to leave installed if I want something more relaxing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Beat Tales of the Neon Sea. Was an alright adventure game and pretty at times. Translation's spotty in parts, and the writing and scenario gets a bit precious at times. Bit padded by minigames and does an annoying thing where it highlights some interactions (including non-essential ones) but not all of them so you kind of have to mash the button as you go by people and scenery anyway. Vaguely frustrating in feeling like a lot of the world and supporting cast is introduced for further stories that may never materialize (the team's next game in development is under a different publisher and with a completely different universe), especially with the ending being a cliffhanger sequel hook.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished Hardspace: Shipbreaker and got the good ending where you finish repairing your personal ship. Great game, methodically breaking down a massive ship piece by piece is very satisfying and there are enough hazards to keep things interesting for the duration of the campaign. Disconnecting reactors was the best part despite maybe being a bit too easy, they always have cooling systems and thruster connections to worry about but you can generally just ignore those as long as you have a clear path to pull it out and throw it in the barge quickly. Same goes for playing the fuse minigame for those triangular power generators when you can yank the thing off instead with seemingly no downside.

Never made it to rank 10 ships, either I got through it too fast or those are intended for people who keep playing after completing the game. The larger rank 9 cargo ships were already the size of the entire ship dock so the rank 10 ones can't be too much bigger. Might come back to the game from time to time to keep ranking up, seems like a good thing to leave installed if I want something more relaxing.

i tried that game 2-3 times during early access and i kinda lost interest about 4-5 ships in. is the pacing any better now that there's a story?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Verviticus posted:

i tried that game 2-3 times during early access and i kinda lost interest about 4-5 ships in. is the pacing any better now that there's a story?

I also just finished Hardspace and played a bunch during early access, and the answer is no.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I just not only beat Bioshock 2 but its DLC, Minerva's Den, as well, and I had a wonderful time. Considering I didn't even beat Bioshock 1 back in the day (got to the big twist then interest faded), I think that tells you all you need to know. Seriously, I'm smacking myself for missing out on this back then, and I urge other people to give it a shot as well if you skipped it too: it's so dang fun and they improved on it so much from the first. The combat is fantastic and I love dual-wielding weapons and plasmids: kinda reminds me of Doom Eternal a bit in how you're this crazy swiss-army knife of guns, gadgets, ammo types, plasmids, and so on.

Now, that's not to say its perfect. I played the classic PC version and it was pretty wonky: kept resetting my mouse sensitivity on load, the sound was too aggressively directional on speakers so I had to use headphones, and the sound also would glitch out constantly if there were too many sounds going on. I heard the remaster was worse, though, so whaddaya gonna do? Also, I'll admit that, if you just came off of playing Bioshock 1, you probably wouldn't be in a rush to play Bioshock 2 as while it is greatly different, it is also incredibly similar to the first and thus would largely feel as a communist-themed rehash and just more of the same. Also while I enjoyed Minerva's Den, I didn't necessarily think it was mind-blowing or anything: maybe it was people hyping it up too much, but while I thought the ending was perfectly fine, it didn't live up to the lofty expectations I had hoped for.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Verviticus posted:

The story is mostly forgettable and has some questionable voice acting throughout which makes it hard to get invested in anything. Typical evil corporation stuff with a few moments of characters going full cartoon villain, none of it meaningfully impacts the underlying game loop until the final mission. If the core gameplay seemed boring during early access I don't think it would add much motivation to get through it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
On the other hand if you want a little game break to chill out in space stripping parts in 15 minute intervals without a lot to pressure you (unless you decide to wing it), it's not a bad choice. I could not force myself to get the scab cheevo on my second playthrough.

For myself, I got Harvestella done and dusted after having it sit in my Switch for months. None of the systems were fleshed out sufficiently, including the story save the pre-apoc humans or the post-apoc humans or deny both as a false binary, face the personification of the planet's spirit and kill god for the real ending, which is a shame since it tried to blend farming and action RPG elements together. The basicness of it makes it a good entry for someone new to gaming though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just found this thread, and coincidentally, finally just beat Luigi's Mansion 3. It's a solid game, with a couple of aggravations along the way.

- Overall, there's a repeated annoyance in that maybe half the major boss fights have some mechanic that's just a bit too finicky to pull off. Then they take too long to cycle back to giving you another chance, leaving me frustrated at what seemed fun at first. The penultimate fight is maybe the biggest offender - it started off as my favorite, making you jump back and forth on the fly between Luigi avoiding attacks and the secondary character (Gooigi :v:) running around shutting off lasers to open up the arena for Luigi to damage the boss. It's great, but then in the second half, the boss just starts resetting everything in half the time you need, and everything you're doing is *just* fiddly enough that you end up messing up a bunch because you're hurrying. Stuff like that spoils fights a bit that seem fun and clever at first.

- The bigger single complaint is the design of the game's sewer level. It's a series of traversal setpieces where you're constantly swapping between Luigi slowly rafting downstream, avoiding things that damage your raft, and Gooigi running around onshore, solving puzzles to progress forward. It's a pain because everything is again just fiddly enough that I was constantly popping the raft and getting sent back to the start of the section to slooowly do it over again. And you do the boss fight on a raft too, in an arena that keeps popping your raft and making you do the same slooow animation to get back into the water again. It was frustrating enough that I quit right there when I first tried the game years ago. Turns out it's nowhere near as tricky as I'd built it up to be in my mind over the years, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole level is slow and frustrating as hell.

That sounds like nothing but complaints, but it's just my main flaws. I thought the game was pretty great as a whole, full of the charm I'd expect from that side-series. I wish I'd given it another shot sooner, and I want to play more in the series. I'll have to see about replaying the second game, I'm pretty sure I rented it a decade ago but never bought it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After 23 years I finally beat Tomb Raider III without cheating or using a walkthrough, except for one bit where I had to look up where to place the embalming fluid in Lud's Gate, because seriously the game doesn't tell you a goddamn thing so that doesn't count.

An enjoyable if challenging experience made somewhat doable by save scumming, no wonder 13 year old me couldn't get very far with this on the original Playstation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I haven't beaten a game recently but I wanted to mention that if you didn't just beat but 100%ed or platinumed a game then there is a thread for you.