Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've been going through the mobygames database and logging every single video game I've ever played. I'm halfway through the Ms presently. Here's the stats so far:

Goodness Google Sheets picks the worst color scheme and I don't seem to be able to change it without changing each value specifically :mad:

"beat" meaning in some cases like a lot of Atari 2600 games and that don't really have endings, played until I'd seen all one is expected to experience. Otherwise finished to completion. Includes DLC if the DLC is a thing you have to purchase and is kind of its own thing (like Phantom Liberty to Cyberpunk 2077, say)

Computer based games come in DOS, Windows 3.1 and "PC," meaning Windows 95 or higher.

Compared to the games I've played total.

and years (based on release date with respect to the system)

credburn fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just finished a blind playthrough of Dave the Diver. That was not what I was expecting.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wrapped up Dragon's Dogma 2 and I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy most of it but uh, not every swing it takes is a hit, let's say that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Wrapped up Dragon's Dogma 2 and I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy most of it but uh, not every swing it takes is a hit, let's say that

Yeah I'm not gonna finish it. I just got bored. I should have known better too. The exact same thing happened in the first game and this was just the same game but better

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just finished Final Fantasy. I think these Square guys have promise - can't wait to see what they do next

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shard posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna finish it. I just got bored. I should have known better too. The exact same thing happened in the first game and this was just the same game but better

It's really interesting how I keep hearing that dragon's dogma 2 keeps making the same highs and lows, the same mistakes, design decisions.

It really is essentially the first game remade huh?

For my contribution, I finished Rise of the Ronin.

Really enjoyable but much better if you love team ninja games.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

It's really interesting how I keep hearing that dragon's dogma 2 keeps making the same highs and lows, the same mistakes, design decisions.

For my contribution, I finished Rise of the Ronin.

Really enjoyable but much better if you love team ninja games.

Glad to hear RotR turned out well, I’ve definitely got that on my to-do list.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, I was hoping for something more, but it's pretty much the exact same game, just the world is bigger and graphics are prettier.

I enjoyed it a lot, but the price is an insane ask for a remaster of a 10yo game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, I was hoping for something more, but it's pretty much the exact same game, just the world is bigger and graphics are prettier.

I enjoyed it a lot, but the price is an insane ask for a remaster of a 10yo game.

It's also crazy because on every current platform, dragon's dogma 1 with the Dark arisen content has been on sale multiple times for $5.

I'm actually going to end up skipping dd2 because I've got a ps4 copy of dd1 I need to actually play. Once I do I bet dd2 will get their own dark arisen content and also be on sale much cheaper.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Party Boat posted:

I just finished Final Fantasy. I think these Square guys have promise - can't wait to see what they do next

Get yourself ready for Final Fantasy 2, a wartorn tale of the human cost of revenge with a very peculiar leveling scheme.

Coming soon to the Nintendo Entertainment System in 199x

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They called the fourth Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Scalding Coffee posted:

They called the fourth Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II.

wtf

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
That seems like it would just confuse people, I don't think they would do that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Snake Maze posted:

That seems like it would just confuse people, I don't think they would do that.

Yeah, like imagine what would happen if they were to ever resume numbering normally afterwards, it would probably kill the series

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Instead of incrementing titles for sequels, they use a second number to designate as the real sequel.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just beat Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

I was interested in this one basically since it was first announced, since it felt like my particular kind of narrative-driven game in a novel setting. I wasn't expecting it to grab me quite as much as it did, though, and it may end up placing a lot higher on my end-of-year list than I would've guessed.

The basic summary is that you play Red and Antea, two professional ghost-hunters in 1695 New England, come at the request of a friend to help lift the curse afflicting a town called New Eden. Things go sideways, and what follows is a thorough exploration of what caused the curse, a fight to finally lift it, and a major decision to be made about your future. Along the way there are side quests called "haunting cases" where you investigate and resolve standalone mysteries and either banish the ghost or blame the living person. There's also an element of choice and consequence here, where the decisions you make in the main story can affect the nature of the region's haunting cases. For example, one choice leads to a case where an rear end in a top hat hunter is haunted by the ghost of a more talented hunter he murdered out of spite, while the other choice reverses the roles and has the more talented hunter being haunted by the rear end in a top hat's ghost. There are a few that are constant regardless of choice, but I came across several that had variations like this which made replaying them for the plat a far more enjoyable experience than expected.

The gameplay is fairly straightforward Witcher-style stuff, where you analyze clues, follow spirit trails, and slash at things with a sword and torch, but for someone like me who isn't a video game combat afficionado it was perfectly serviceable on Normal difficulty. If the game has a major flaw it's the performance, which was often legitimately terrible. Opening the map or the menu would lead to a solid second or two of freezing every time, and there were frequent stutters and frame drops throughout. It's worth noting that I was playing a physical copy that took several tries to fully install for some reason, so it's possible that the performance issues were tied to that, but either way they were significant enough to have impacted my experience.

I had intended to use Banishers as a smaller bridge game between FF7 Rebirth and whatever my next huge RPG was, but I enjoyed exploring the world and seeing what it had to offer enough that I was happy to take my time with it. If you're into story-driven games in the vein of Witcher this is one that I can recommend.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

ShakeZula posted:

Just beat Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

Same. Today actually. Never finished all of the haunting cases but at one point I just wanted the game to end. Good acting and an interesting story but good god the pathfinding can be obtuse at times. Liked the game a lot but it was a bit too long for me.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Also recently beaten Dragon's Dogma 2 and the more I think about it the more I dislike it. It's a good game, I've enjoyed it at the moment, but it feels like either Capcom didn't give devs enough money or devs overestimated how hard it is to make a game this big. Enemy roster is effectively the same as the first game, and the more you go, the less there is. Battahl kinda fumbles the story and the third area just rushes to the end with an area so empty that they needed a massive kaiju boss to cover up that there's like one cave in total.
The post-game is also less interesting than the first one, and even if I chuckled at the game finally saying "Dragon's Dogma *2*" it's probably a very big mistake since some people might think "oh boy, twice more game!" and no, it's like 10%
It's very much a remake of DD1, but Dragon's Dogma 1 was weird and overambitious for 2012, and releasing it in 2024 but bigger softens its impact when everything's just kind of the same as it was in a 10 year old game except for better quests and bigger world. It also somehow has worse dungeons. With a game where your interactions with the world felt so unique I'd prefer a TOTK-like sequel with more weird poo poo, but the game effectively goes "What if Breath of the Wild was bigger" which is not what I want from a sequel.

I've also beaten No More Heroes III
When starting a new game series I usually try to complete the first game first and go down the chronological path of entries to see the evolution.
No More Heroes III is one of the first ones where I've decided to just jump to the most recent one, and it felt appropriate. The game is insane already, so trying to figure out what's even real and canon was an experience that I feel only added to its atmosphere.

NMHIII is a stylish boss-rush/character action game in the vein of old Treasure games. It will never stand still and will pour its creativity through constant genre and artstyle switches.
This game is admitteldy style over substance, but NMHIII is an undisputed king of style and isn't even remotely similar to games that just want to look pretty for 12 hours. The gameplay is somewhat lacking, but I always wanted to see what would come next.

The general structure of the game is quite weak, though, and I wish all the battles you had to do to get to the next boss were optional. Unfortunately, the game never really switches up the required three battles > boss routine and that's its biggest weakness. In-game justification for all of that is collecting money to donate for the next round, but I wish the player had the means to procure the money by any means, as the game's open worlds feature plenty of collectibles and minigames.
It feels weird to want less combat out of an action game, but the small battles are pretty dire, and new enemies stop showing up at around boss 3 out of 10, which make them feel like grinding with the combat system that's so simple.

I can see someone feeling like this game is too wacky, but much like something like the original Deadly Premonition, it puts its whole rear end into being what it is so it never really feels out of place, whether you're mowing down intergalactic threats or cleaning toilets (that are an equivalent of Ubisoft's towers in the open world).
I loved my time with this dumb game and I will definitely check out its prequels. Sure, it's janky, it's ugly in places, but it's got so much style and personality that it's hard not to fall in love.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Maquette is a first-person puzzle game using a "world within a world" concept. You can manipulate objects around you by placing them in or removing them from a diorama of the world you are playing inside. It gets pretty interesting but never too challenging. There are better first-person puzzle games out there, but it's on Game Pass and is relatively short.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally got around to beating Metroid: Samus Returns after buying it when it was relatively new. It was...alright? Competently made but with a lot of small weird decisions throughout (maybe some of them held over from the original, which I never played). I think everything deals you just a tiny bit too much damage for how loose the controls can feel at times, and the upgrade/item management felt a little uneven. Also why do these games love throwing Power Bomb Expansions at you when the primary use for Power Bombs is to find more Power Bombs?

At any rate, one game down off my 3DS backlog. Only [does quick count] 20 to go? :negative:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Also recently beaten Dragon's Dogma 2 and the more I think about it the more I dislike it. It's a good game, I've enjoyed it at the moment, but it feels like either Capcom didn't give devs enough money or devs overestimated how hard it is to make a game this big. Enemy roster is effectively the same as the first game, and the more you go, the less there is. Battahl kinda fumbles the story and the third area just rushes to the end with an area so empty that they needed a massive kaiju boss to cover up that there's like one cave in total.
The post-game is also less interesting than the first one, and even if I chuckled at the game finally saying "Dragon's Dogma *2*" it's probably a very big mistake since some people might think "oh boy, twice more game!" and no, it's like 10%
It's very much a remake of DD1, but Dragon's Dogma 1 was weird and overambitious for 2012, and releasing it in 2024 but bigger softens its impact when everything's just kind of the same as it was in a 10 year old game except for better quests and bigger world. It also somehow has worse dungeons. With a game where your interactions with the world felt so unique I'd prefer a TOTK-like sequel with more weird poo poo, but the game effectively goes "What if Breath of the Wild was bigger" which is not what I want from a sequel.

Beat it today and I pretty much agree with everything. I don't see how people are saying that this is the finished version of the game they wanted to make with DD1, when it's exactly the same game. Map is bigger, pretty graphics, two new classes, that's it. I was so hype when I met the Sphinx, because I thought the world would be full of those out-of-the way unique encounters. Nope, that's it. I guess you also have the Medusa optional fight, and Elftown, which barely has anything special to do. Eh.

The combat is still pretty cool, but it's absolutely not worth the full price.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

30XX (again)

Except now co-op actually displays an ending!

:unsmith:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Beat "Mr Suns Hatbox". It is metal gear solid 5 if it were a side-scroller, complete with a Fulton balloon system and base management. Game is great. Coop too!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Spider-Man 2 today. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as SM1; I thought the pacing both in story and in game was all over the place, and despite Miles just having the better gameplay, he felt like an afterthought for most of the game. Things came together at the end, and they laid down a lot of threads for the next game (spoilers: Silk possibly being the second main character with Miles in the mentor position, Green Goblin, Carnage, Doc Ock returning, possibly one of Kraven's kids showing up), and I hope some things remain the new status quo (Peter being semi-retired while keeping the Anti-Venom symbiote, which would give him a distinct power set from Miles gameplay-wise, Miles being the primary Spider-Man), but gameplay-wise I hope they try to shake things up a bit. Web-gliding didn't really add all that much to the game, and I hope that they bring back traversal/stealth challenges, because I enjoy those much more than the combat challenges we got. Also for the love of god no more MJ sections

Also, Peter and Harry was by far the more interesting couple

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 6, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I liked Spider-Man 2 overall, but it doesn't beat the first one. It's fundamentally good because it's building off a solid gameplay base, and it's just fun to swing D around in such great-looking environments but yeah, there were a number of things that just weren't as well designed. The depowered sequences were always my biggest complaint about the first game, and they felt even worse here - at least they broke things up from being stealth-centric so much of the time, but it felt like they negated that by doing twice as many.

I lost track of how many times I'd boot up the game and then sigh, when I suddenly remembered I'd quit the game last time around because it wanted me to do yet another sequence that didn't involve me being a Spider-Man. That's just one of my pet peeves, I'm playing the game because I like swinging around and fighting people using superpowers, every moment spent actively not doing that is a wasted moment. Just let me be Spidey, dammit! :arghfist::spidey:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I 100%ed Islets (which I got on EGS a short while ago) - it's a fun, relatively easy Metroidvania with a few notable twists:
- The theme is that there are five islands that have been split apart, and it's your job to connect them. As they come together, these five different mini maps converge into one giant map, and each convergence point opens up new paths from old dead ends. Functionally, I guess it's the same as pulling a lever in a game and suddenly 3-8 doors unlock that you couldn't bypass before, but it's fun to see how they line up!
- Travelling the world map involves you flying in airships around the sky; the few battles that in this style emulate a top-down roguelike shooter, think stuff like Star of Providence. Not much to do here otherwise though.
- The movement feels good. Your main character, Iko, gains running speed naturally, which paired with the floaty jump means you can get some great distances naturally. This pairs with a relatively forgiving level design where most of the challenges comes from dodging obstacles, projectiles, and enemies instead of pinpoint jumps onto small ledges.
- The traversal upgrade options are quite fun! While you can probably guess one of the earliest ones double jump, some of them are fun like the high speed climb and the arrow that shoots a path along its trail. There aren't many of these, and some are underused, but I had fun messing with them nonetheless.

Overall a good time! I think a solid 7/10 for me; no regrets playing it, enjoyed it a lot, just that the genre is stacked with some heavyweights so it's an easy recommendation...if you've already played the other easy recommendations, if you get what I mean.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Finished up Rise of the Ronin, getting the plat which only took an extra 30 min after the main campaign. Greatly enjoyed my playthrough on the whole, but it probably ranks as my least favorite of the Team Ninja games. The combat is phenomenal; it's a great refinement to the parrying in Wo Long, and it just feels so good parrying a 6 or 7-hit combo to pressure your rival samurai. The cities and surrounding areas are beautifully designed, but I wish the open world were more of a way to seamlessly transition from mission to mission instead of feeling just like collectible bloat. The faction system is also a bit of a mess and doesn't seem to impact much beyond who you fight in a few story missions, as far as I can tell.

In its historical setting it necessarily is a much more grounded game than Nioh etc., but as a result a lot of it blends together. All the bosses are human with a different weapon. Oh this one has a hammer, but this one has a shotgun, etc. etc. Outside of a select few, typically those at the end of an act, none of the (probably 80+?) bosses are all that memorable. Sometimes I just want to fight a sea monster or a giant tentacled demon house, ya know? The fact that the combat was so fun really buoyed the playthrough to the end. At hour 10 I was thinking "oh I''m going to do more runs later with different weapons" but by hour 50 "nah, I've had my fun, time to put it away."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

C-Euro posted:

Finally got around to beating Metroid: Samus Returns after buying it when it was relatively new. It was...alright? Competently made but with a lot of small weird decisions throughout (maybe some of them held over from the original, which I never played). I think everything deals you just a tiny bit too much damage for how loose the controls can feel at times, and the upgrade/item management felt a little uneven. Also why do these games love throwing Power Bomb Expansions at you when the primary use for Power Bombs is to find more Power Bombs?

At any rate, one game down off my 3DS backlog. Only [does quick count] 20 to go? :negative:
Have you played Metroid Dread? Because in hindsight Samus Returns was basically a practice run for the studio and Dread feels like a perfected version of it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to finishing the fan-translated PSP Disaster Report 3 on my Steam Deck. With this, I've beaten all of them, with my personal order going 2-1-3-4.
Three was an interesting game to be sure, though I couldn't help but notice how many mechanics went practically unused throughout the game. There's a crafting mechanic you will use all of twice, a button devoted to calling out to people you will use twice, health and stamina systems that basically don't matter (most deaths in the game are instant and when you do get into a situation that will drain them, there's always a park bench in the next scene that refills them), and an option to give items that you will use once. This might be why Disaster Report 4 has practically no mechanics whatsoever.
In the end, I still had a great time and it scratched that DR itch in a way 4 kinda didn't. That being said, I liked 4, but it felt like they were trying to make a modern DR game on a PS2 DR budget, so there's not much going on. At least this felt like how a DR game on a PSP would feel. Raw Danger is still the GOAT and one of my favorite games of all time, sometimes in spite of itself.

Edit: DR3 has got some jank for sure, but they all do (except for DR4, but when nothing is really happening, there's not much to mess up), but nothing game breaking and I still had a good time. Took about 5 hrs to beat.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 8, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Beat Persona 3 Reload. Awesome experience and great characters. I didn't expect the back third of the game to go so hard.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
After getting the final login reward weapon I needed I have finally beat Warframe in the senses of the word I find meaningful. For now.

All Item Mastery. All Starmap/Steel Path. All Railjack and Duviri intrinsics. And all quests, of course.

I have to say, I enjoyed most of my time playing it overall. It's a very peaceful grind, for the most part. It's nothing if not honest. Arguably one of the more ethical microtransaction-bearing games too. I'd be jealous of anyone who started now, there's a shitton of gameplay there to enjoy. Excellent gamefeel throughout too of course. You would not expect this level of quality in a free to play title.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 8, 2024

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Started and finished Blaster Master Zero this week. Bought the collection a year ago on Switch, finally cracked the plastic wrap and decided I had to start it.

Didn't know what I was expecting, but was actually surprised that it was effectively just the NES game with extra buttons.

Heard amazing things about this series, so I'm hoping that the sequel is a bit more up my alley.

I've been stuck in this game for literally years, but I do like it. In an underwater sequence. But fun game! A cool mix of on foot and vehicle platforming

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
During the eclipse I:

Killed the Orphan of Kos
Killed the secret boss of Bloodborne

thus earning myself the platinum trophy as well as 100% completion in the DLC for Bloodborne, a game I thought I'd never beat.

Unparalleled setting and vibe. Solid combat, and I liked that they de-emphasized gear, no faffing about with shields and rings and trinkets and necklaces or whatever. I like those FromSoftware guys, I bet they'll make a really good game some day.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Finished In Stars and Time. It's a timelooping game, I think one of the best I've played. It's also a RPGMaker game, but the overall production is extremely good, some very nice art, music and a pretty great story. There's some combat, mechanics are varied enough to be inteesting but also not to complex to become tedious on repetition. I think the game gets pretty close to the sweet spot for a looping game where it very rarely gets tedious or automatic. There's also much more going on than you initially think. Finished it in 23hrs, might take a few more to finish all achievements and see all events, but I'm happy with the resolution I got. At times it felt a bit too cute for me, but that might just be me being old. Strong recommend.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

grate deceiver posted:

Finished In Stars and Time. It's a timelooping game, I think one of the best I've played. It's also a RPGMaker game, but the overall production is extremely good, some very nice art, music and a pretty great story. There's some combat, mechanics are varied enough to be inteesting but also not to complex to become tedious on repetition. I think the game gets pretty close to the sweet spot for a looping game where it very rarely gets tedious or automatic. There's also much more going on than you initially think. Finished it in 23hrs, might take a few more to finish all achievements and see all events, but I'm happy with the resolution I got. At times it felt a bit too cute for me, but that might just be me being old. Strong recommend.

That looks interesting. Do I have to play the prequel(?) prologue (?) or whatever Start Again is, to get it?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

That looks interesting. Do I have to play the prequel(?) prologue (?) or whatever Start Again is, to get it?

I have not played it, but I don't think so. It looks to me like just a prototype/short version of the full game.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I have beaten Gravity Rush for the first time. It's very obviously a former PS Vita game, but the gameplay is extremely fun. Looking forward to the second game and its huge glow up since it was released on the PS4! It seems like everyone who plays this is instantly recruited into its army, and I'm no different, I'm already ready for a second remaster and three more sequels, please.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Nucular Carmul posted:

I have beaten Gravity Rush for the first time. It's very obviously a former PS Vita game, but the gameplay is extremely fun. Looking forward to the second game and its huge glow up since it was released on the PS4! It seems like everyone who plays this is instantly recruited into its army, and I'm no different, I'm already ready for a second remaster and three more sequels, please.

How the hell did it completely miss me that Gravity Rush got a PS4 remaster? I thought it was one of those weird cult games that I'll never get a chance to play like Lost Odyssey, but now it looks like I have a chance! And it's even 50% off right now! Guess I'll add it to my PS4 backlog along Odin Sphere, 13 Sentinels, and so on.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
A week ago or so now I beat Felvidek, a really weird little game. A short RPG that looks like nothing else I've ever played:

It's, I guess, kind of like a PS1 JRPG? Prerendered backgrounds, a few lo-fi prerendered cutscenes. Very short, ended up being about 4 and a half hours. Does have a number of different choices you can make and some side quests you can do, though I'm not sure which if any have significant story impact.

I'm just going to quote the Steam page for the story, since I'm not sure I could really explain it any better:

quote:

Find out what unlikely events take place in this alternate history region of Slovak Highlands. This land is ravaged by Hussite pillagers and Ottoman spies while surreal horrors dwell in the dark. It's now up to Pavol, a fair knight with alcohol problems, to gather a party and stop those who oppose our kingdom.

Now, I don't know anything about Slovakia or its history, but I found it compelling! It has a pretty bad translation, but it usually stays on the side of charming instead of annoying.

The combat was pretty fun. You could fit all of the different items and skills in this game on a business card, but it ends up feeling surprisingly deep when packed into four hours. By the time you reach the final boss, you do feel like you've got a mastery of the systems, as limited as they are, and I think that's pretty impressive in a game this short - normally RPGs need hours and hours to really build up to that feeling.

Also, the soundtrack is hard as hell. Listen to this menu music: https://holycrab.bandcamp.com/track/felvid-k

Now there's a massive caveat I'm gonna stick on this game. There's a Jewish character in it, who is named "the Jew," and is clearly supposed to be "othered" by everyone else who are medieval Christians. He's not treated badly or anything, but he's never given an actual name, and the game has a couple weird lines that are, in the absolute best read, South Park edgelord jokes. I don't really think this game's author is trying to be particularly antisemitic because I'd expect the character to be way more problematic if so, but I do think they try to make a Goof out of medieval attitudes to Judaism that they absolutely shouldn't have. There's a similar character named "the Turk," so for better or worse it's not limited to one minority, but I think it is fair to say that it Feels Bad. I'd like to think the joke here is "hah, look at these backwards, antiquated attitudes" (especially given the player character is acknowledged to be a lovely person), but it just doesn't do enough to land like that. It sucks because without this issue this would be a glowing recommendation, and instead it's like a "I dunno maybe see if they do a translation/editing patch that also cleans up whatever the hell they were going for here." Just really loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge today. What a nice, short game to play through, and very needed after a couple of open world games. Good combat, good music, and gameplay that knows exactly what it wants to do