Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge today. What a nice, short game to play through, and very needed after a couple of open world games. Good combat, good music, and gameplay that knows exactly what it wants to do

That was a great game to play together with some friends after not seeing each other for along time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

FutureCop posted:

How the hell did it completely miss me that Gravity Rush got a PS4 remaster? I thought it was one of those weird cult games that I'll never get a chance to play like Lost Odyssey, but now it looks like I have a chance! And it's even 50% off right now! Guess I'll add it to my PS4 backlog along Odin Sphere, 13 Sentinels, and so on.

Yeah the sale was why I finally picked it up, I was just browsing the Under 20 section and was like "oh this has been on my To Play list forever" I finished the story in like a day and might mess around with some gold medals on the challenge missions.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

abraham linksys posted:

A week ago or so now I beat Felvidek, a really weird little game. A short RPG that looks like nothing else I've ever played:

It's, I guess, kind of like a PS1 JRPG? Prerendered backgrounds, a few lo-fi prerendered cutscenes. Very short, ended up being about 4 and a half hours. Does have a number of different choices you can make and some side quests you can do, though I'm not sure which if any have significant story impact.

I'm just going to quote the Steam page for the story, since I'm not sure I could really explain it any better:

Now, I don't know anything about Slovakia or its history, but I found it compelling! It has a pretty bad translation, but it usually stays on the side of charming instead of annoying.

The combat was pretty fun. You could fit all of the different items and skills in this game on a business card, but it ends up feeling surprisingly deep when packed into four hours. By the time you reach the final boss, you do feel like you've got a mastery of the systems, as limited as they are, and I think that's pretty impressive in a game this short - normally RPGs need hours and hours to really build up to that feeling.

Also, the soundtrack is hard as hell. Listen to this menu music: https://holycrab.bandcamp.com/track/felvid-k

Now there's a massive caveat I'm gonna stick on this game. There's a Jewish character in it, who is named "the Jew," and is clearly supposed to be "othered" by everyone else who are medieval Christians. He's not treated badly or anything, but he's never given an actual name, and the game has a couple weird lines that are, in the absolute best read, South Park edgelord jokes. I don't really think this game's author is trying to be particularly antisemitic because I'd expect the character to be way more problematic if so, but I do think they try to make a Goof out of medieval attitudes to Judaism that they absolutely shouldn't have. There's a similar character named "the Turk," so for better or worse it's not limited to one minority, but I think it is fair to say that it Feels Bad. I'd like to think the joke here is "hah, look at these backwards, antiquated attitudes" (especially given the player character is acknowledged to be a lovely person), but it just doesn't do enough to land like that. It sucks because without this issue this would be a glowing recommendation, and instead it's like a "I dunno maybe see if they do a translation/editing patch that also cleans up whatever the hell they were going for here." Just really loving weird.

felvidek owned. really fun game.

i think 'the jew' is definitely a case of no good english translation being available and a complete lack of cultural context, with no real solution. 'jew' is a very loaded term in english, by itself, in a way that isn't the case in other languages (at least the ones i speak). 'the jew', as a character archetype in a story, is obviously racist. but it's also a very common cultural trope, and i think the game deliberates subverts it given that the guy gets hosed with by a bunch of people, as he's vulnerable due to being ostracized from the community, and you end up murdering every one of them. he's integral to your quest because of his genius for invention. towards the end of the game there's a character that tries to tempt you with the power to make slovakia a world power at the expense of turks and other ethnic and religious enemies and your character tells him to stfu and put his dukes up, it's time to fight. i think there's an even more incisive point the game makes regarding this after that but that's a big old spoiler for one of the best moments in the game.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Maquette is a first-person puzzle game using a "world within a world" concept. You can manipulate objects around you by placing them in or removing them from a diorama of the world you are playing inside. It gets pretty interesting but never too challenging. There are better first-person puzzle games out there, but it's on Game Pass and is relatively short.

Maquette is a pleasant enough game with an interesting gimmick that feels a little underbaked. There are some clever puzzles but it never quite gels into a coherent whole, and is occasionally janky and somewhat frustrating. The story is also a little too “quirky millennial indie movie couple” for me and doesn’t really mesh with the gameplay in the way it’s clearly trying to. It’s essentially a mediocre walking sim bolted onto an okay puzzle game. I did like it enough to finish it but it doesn’t feel like it ever really figures out what to do with the core gimmick.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Maquette is a pleasant enough game with an interesting gimmick that feels a little underbaked. There are some clever puzzles but it never quite gels into a coherent whole, and is occasionally janky and somewhat frustrating. The story is also a little too “quirky millennial indie movie couple” for me and doesn’t really mesh with the gameplay in the way it’s clearly trying to. It’s essentially a mediocre walking sim bolted onto an okay puzzle game. I did like it enough to finish it but it doesn’t feel like it ever really figures out what to do with the core gimmick.

I thought the story was fine, but I agree that it didn't tie into the gameplay like it wanted to. Also, agreed that it never really nailed down its core mechanic - hell, 2 of the 7 levels don't even use the mechanic. Now that you point it out, it did feel like other Annapurna, story-based walking sims with puzzles tacked on top. But it was short and "free", so I didn't mind that much.

Edit:

I finished Nobody Saves the World, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The journey to S-rank every form didn't feel like a grind, and it was fun to explore the different combinations of active and passive abilities. Dungeons level up with you, so you never feel insanely overpowered, which some may not enjoy. I don't intend to play NG+ or the DLC, but it was a solid experience.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 12, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I just beat Betrayal at Club Low. It was a short and enjoyable trip. Whoever called it "a single highly detailed Deux Ex quest with Disco Elysium vibes" was right.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just recently beat Hi-Fi RUSH and, as you'd expect, it was GOTY-material and an absolute blast. I had some minor quibbles with it here and there, but they barely even feel worth mention considering the overall experience. It's so good, I almost feel like a bastard for playing it on GamePass: will likely buy it again or just gift it to someone to make up for it.

I still have to do the hidden doors, but I have to admit, after doing the first one and being let-down for how incredibly insubstantial it was, I'm not really feeling that pressed to do them. Didn't help either that I played the game on Very Hard already, and Rhythm Master didn't feel that different (in fact, felt really annoying considering the first boss) and the game still has a lot of unskippable stuff, so not sure if I want a replay. Will likely visit the Rhythm Tower and other arcade stuff though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will say that I was personally a big fan of the resolution to the hidden door stuff, though I don't know if everybody will think the work needed to get there makes it worth it. I felt it absolutely fit in with the general atmosphere of the game as a whole though. The wrap-up is linked here, you can click it to see what happens if you like, but I think it works best getting there the long way around.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thing to remember about Rhythm Master is that you don't have to hit anything to keep the gauge up, just be doing things on the beat. Tined dodging and jumping and swinging at the air will keep you alive just fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rise of the Ronin: This was a lot of fun! The combat is really chaotic and requires quite a bit of careful timing and reflexes to master. I think the combat mechanics are not as deep or engaging though as Ghost of Tsushima, I enjoyed that one a lot more. But I liked the open world of RotR a lot more. The multiple regions you can visit, and large cities, were fun to explore. The large open regions with collectibles initially came across as groan inducing to me, but what RotR gets right is that it's easy and accessible to collect this stuff. The world is designed in such a way that you just come across most of it on your way to the next story mission, and its not all bogged down with obtuse puzzles and out of the way spots that require an online guide to figure out.

I think there were maybe too many different systems, and a lot of them didn't feel important or necessary. But my absolute favorite feature was co-op for the story missions. This helped so much with getting through the game because your AI companions are not aggressive enough in combat, and this game unlike Ghost of Tsushima, rewards more aggressive playing. Will want to double dip on PC if a port ever happens. Mouse and keyboard will make the gun & bow/arrow shooting much smoother. Gamepad just wasn't accurate enough with these weapons, even though they are very useful during frantic combat moments, which i'm not entirely sure is their intended use case, but their ability to stun enemies makes them really important if you're able to master aiming while the enemy is attacking you.

The story is also complete non-sense, and after awhile I stopped trying to follow it. I think the game loses its plot due to the branching paths you can take and that you can change decisions at any moment? Or i'm just stupid and this is a me problem? Just so much of the story at points didn't feel connected to the overall plot. For what its worth though, the events of this game are based on a real life 10 years of civil unrest that really happened in Japan during the time period this takes place. So read up on that as you play through the game.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I said come in! posted:

The story is also complete non-sense, and after awhile I stopped trying to follow it.

Sounds like a Team Ninja game alright. I recently finished the DLCs of Wo Long and I genuinely could not tell you a single thing that happens in that game, plot-wise.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 14, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I just beat Betrayal at Club Low. It was a short and enjoyable trip. Whoever called it "a single highly detailed Deux Ex quest with Disco Elysium vibes" was right.

Have you played the other Cosmo D games? They've got similar vibes but different gameplay (more walking sims than pizza dice spy games).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Plots in Nioh, Wo Long and Ronin don't really make sense unless you are familiar with the real events.

For example if you don't know who Iyeasu, Hideyoshi and Nobunaga are, the plot of Nioh game make no sense. But the games are essentially telling the story of 3 unifiers of Japan in a very breakneck pace.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Jagged Alliance 3

Right until the midpoint of this game I constantly felt like I was walking the line of "winning" and being in a fail-state, where I just wouldn't be able to keep up with maintenance costs and would have to either give up entirely or maybe start over. Then I got one more diamond mine and it seemed like it flipped the toggle from "difficult" to "cake-walk." Didn't realize my guns and mercs were pretty much maxed out by that point. The second half of the game had me mostly just wading from one sector to the next, annihilating everything. Which was fun. I hear melee got nerfed, which makes me wonder what it was like before because it's absurdly powerful as it is. Need five guys killed quickly, silently, without putting anyone at risk? Send Dr. Q with his big rear end machete into the barracks, not a sound is made, and he walks out covered in blood.

Some of the goddamn achievements seem broken, though.

It's nice to play a decent followup to JA2 after so many years and disappointing efforts.

My biggest complaint is that you have room for like eighteen mercs (six per squad), but you don't need more than a single squad. I had a second squad that I briefly used to train militia, until I realized that's not really important in the second half of the game -- or maybe ever? They also ran ammo from docks to my main squad but beyond that they never saw combat and didn't really do anymore more than cost me money. Also was kind of disappointed the enemy didn't use more ordnance or tanks or that sort of thing. I think there were two battles I fought where they had a mortar? But they blew themselves up with it in one battle and the other was real easily avoided and negated. Smoke, gas grenades, mustard gas, all that stuff sounds like it would have been neat but I never found a use for it. My snipers, machine gunner, and machete man did all the work for me. I spent some time crafting like 50 rifle grenades but never used a single one :\

I didn't adjust the difficulty, and I did make it a little easier on myself by using the ChanceToHit mod. Does that make me a simp*? I honestly just can't stand not knowing what the chance to hit is. A big circle doesn't really tell me anything, especially when a tiny circle realistically could still mean 50% or worse without the mod.

*I think of this word meaning "simple" but I think it means something else

edit: oh yeah I loved that they had musical leitmotifs from JA2 (and maybe JA1 but I never played that)

credburn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 15, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat Tears of the Kingdom the other day. Such a great lead up to a series of great fights, esp the final one where you're just miles above Hyrule, leaping onto a demon dragon's back, landing on the front of the light dragon to take you up higher , it was such a blast. Plus the music was awesome. But my favourite part, I think, is the approach to the fight, where you descend deeper and deeper and deeper, as you feel like you're descending into depths you shouldn't, like Ganondorf is some sort of eldritch entity that's been sleeping for a millenia. Felt perfect with how I've felt in the Depths, only moreso.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everything from "Zelda" showing up to save Link through to Link FINALLY catching her hand this time around was.... goddamn, what an incredible game :shobon:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jerusalem posted:

Everything from "Zelda" showing up to save Link through to Link FINALLY catching her hand this time around was.... goddamn, what an incredible game :shobon:

:yeah:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Made Tomb Raider (1996) my bitch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This morning I got the platinum trophy for Bloodborne. God drat that's a good game. I'll probably be playing it my entire life.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
ChatGPT How do I beat a videogame (including achievements) when every game out now has at least 10 collectibles glitched into walls?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

GentleReject posted:

ChatGPT How do I beat a videogame (including achievements) when every game out now has at least 10 collectibles glitched into walls?

You playing Wolfenstein 3D ?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
If you follow Doom speed running standards then the game is considered 100% done when all non-glitched collectables are collected and all non-glitched enemies are defeated. Good luck 👍

Externality
Sep 9, 2023
Finally got around to finishing Dave the Diver yesterday, 34h of visual fun. Played one more day after the credits as a bunch of people who like cucumbers turned up demanding it in their sushi.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Decided to play a much smaller game tonight and I beat Castlevania for the NES. Game rules.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat Dragons Dogma 2. Except not. Sort of. I saw the credits?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beat Castlevania 2. I like how weird it is

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just did the final boss battle of Minishoot' Adventures and rolled credits

an adorable little bullet heck Zelda game

Get it for all the children in your life

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
I don't finish games ofter but I've been trying to keep a single player game playthrough going in between multiplayer games or mmos.

Recently finished Assassin's Creed I. I had never played AC before except maybe an hour or two on AC 3 one time. Desmond looks like Frank. It was fun and holds up pretty good I guess.

Witcher 1 is next.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat Castlevania 3 last night. And that is just like my memory of nes games. I love it so much.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

That looks interesting. Do I have to play the prequel(?) prologue (?) or whatever Start Again is, to get it?

You do not; Start Again is more akin to a prototype than a prequel is my understanding.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just beat Half-Life Alyx: as you might expect, it was an incredible experience filled with a large variety of combat, puzzles, exploration, interactions, emotions and so on, all with a great level of polish and subtle depth and intricacies it brings through VR. Constantly surprised me at the level of interactions I was able to do that other VR games don't have enough chops to simulate. Definitely THE VR game to get if you own a VR device, and certainly if you're a fan of Half-Life (and who isn't). Certainly a wild story that people without a VR headset are missing out on: I thought it was going to be an optional sidestory but no, it may as well be called Episode 3!

I feel a bit bad because I've never dove deeply into Half-Life lore: I do love the games and I've recently played Episode 1 and 2 so I was able to understand the general emotional and story beats, but I probably miss on some of the more subtle implications and lore. Like I still don't quite understand things like the Seven Hour War and the combine besides them being an 'event' and them being the 'bad guys' and such. I suppose I could always go on a wiki dive.

I feel really lucky that I never let a headcrab latch onto me: I probably would've freaked out, destroyed my visor and died of a heart attack! As careful and cautious as I can be with ammo typically, I spared no expense when it came to headcrabs.

Wonder what VR game I'll play next...it is certainly a hard act to follow. One that I am looking forward to is something called The Burst: had a great Next Fest demo and gave me Half-Life adventure vibes. If anyone has some great shooters or adventures to recommend, feel free.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

FutureCop posted:

I suppose I could always go on a wiki dive.

This is a 2 parter, it has some serious spoilers but if you really want to know what is going on beyond what they clearly show you, this is an excellent video. It's also excellent nightmare fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l2UfkRjEz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4-WEAFNZSM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alyx really is the high watermark of VR games in my experience so far. Nobody else has even come close, though the Outer Wilds VR mod makes an excellent game even excellenter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I beat the msq of Rising Tide dlc in Final Fantasy 16 but didn't have the time to touch side stuff. It was shorter than I expected.

20 bucks for such short story is a lot to ask, but at least you get meaningful content to go along with it such as 2 new Eikons and a DMC bloody palace like survival mode.

Definitely rekindled my interest in FF16 I hope we might still get a balance / qol patch.

I think the scoring system in Arcade Mode is still kinda broken and it favors stalling fights for extra points. I don't care about hi scores but I'd like to get S ranks for the missions

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Beat Amnesia: The Bunker. Quite liked it, a survival horror that really does feel like survival against an unstoppable creature. Giving you actual weapons and ways to drive it off, but still being fragile and unable to truly stop it was a great idea and really ratchets up the tension when you need to think about if you really want to spend a bullet or not. Didn't get all the trophies/collectibles, but considering another run to do just that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Beat Remnant 2

In the last six months I've conquered Chronos: Before the Ashes, Remnant:From the Ashes and now Remnant 2 (and got the platinum trophy on every single one)

Fun games, it was really interesting to see how the series evolved. Waiting for remnant 2 second and third dlc right now. Can't wait to see what this studio does next. Remnant 2 improved so much over remnant 1, like for example, boss battles don't have as much enemy mobs backing them up now!

It totally counts as a Souls-like so this is definitely going on my list of conquered Souls-likes, I still need to get to lies of p, thymesia, steel rising, hell point and the new Lords of the Fallen.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Beat Remnant 2

In the last six months I've conquered Chronos: Before the Ashes, Remnant:From the Ashes and now Remnant 2 (and got the platinum trophy on every single one)

Fun games, it was really interesting to see how the series evolved. Waiting for remnant 2 second and third dlc right now. Can't wait to see what this studio does next. Remnant 2 improved so much over remnant 1, like for example, boss battles don't have as much enemy mobs backing them up now!

It totally counts as a Souls-like so this is definitely going on my list of conquered Souls-likes, I still need to get to lies of p, thymesia, steel rising, hell point and the new Lords of the Fallen.

Man, I platinumed Remnant solo and the bosses having just numerous spawns was the absolute worst thing dragging it down. Felt like every fight played out the same. Remnant 2's bosses are so much more interesting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Morpheus posted:

Man, I platinumed Remnant solo and the bosses having just numerous spawns was the absolute worst thing dragging it down. Felt like every fight played out the same. Remnant 2's bosses are so much more interesting.

No kidding. I had someone help out a bit with my first run of remnant 1 campaign which allowed me to get good stuff for cleaning up the rest of the trophies but yeah seriously, I can see that making people put down the game. Also the first world bosses can be pretty tough solo (I found the other world bosses to be easier weirdly so)

Remnant 2 is definitely a lot easier to solo, but doing coop is more fun and easier for trophies too (especially hunting traits, there's only a fee you can get in multi-player)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten Baldur's Gate III

I try to structure my posts as reviews but truth be told I'm a little baffled as to how to approach this game.

I know nothing about DND, I've played only a few games of its genre (mainly from Larian), AND I feel like it was overhyped to me. I'm probably not the person to ask about this game. That said, I've enjoyed it a lot.

It's one of the busiest games ever made. While I could spend some time just chilling in Yakuza or whatever, this game has had no downtime in my almost 90 hours of playtime. It feels absolutely enormous.

I've enjoyed the story a lot and after both Original Sin titles feel like it's the strongest Larian outing to date. While not too different from those titles in presentation or story, it's just much more confident and a little less silly. I felt like Original Sin titles tried a little too hard, yet this game only had one really obnoxious NPC and they were a really minor character. Pretty much every story beat and joke landed, and there were some really hard-hitting moments.

I'm not sure I liked the combat, though. Divinity titles used a far more approachable system which I wish was the case here, but instead it felt like for half the game I was trying to understand it. At times it felt like reading Wikipedia with how you click on help and just mouse over words that lead to other words. There are several things to balance at the same time and it never feels like the game warrants it considering most of the time you can replenish everything between each and every fight and not even feel the minor resource drain. It also doesn't help that it seems DND doesn't have your usual RPG number-go-up formula which leads to some headache-inducing choices when it comes to equipment and, later in the game, led to me mostly ignoring tons of equippables I would pick up unless they were super rare.

The game knows that and does try to make each encounter unique, so at times it feels like a cRPG take on something like Undertale or Lisa: games where each encounter would usually be seen once and never again just to showcase a character, a gimmick, or a puzzle.

It's also a bit of a shame that the game is still quite janky. From often weird subtitles that either display wrong or lines that repeat to the stealth system which feels absolutely borked there are a few things that left a bit of a poor taste in my mouth. While game reacts to a LOT of the things you do, it's very noticeable when it doesn't (non-lethal takedowns seem to barely be accounted for, for example)

This post is kinda negative, but in truth there are only so many words with which I can say "characters and story are good". It's true that I've not enjoyed the game aspect of the game that much besides the exploration, but I still absolutely understand why people connected with it and can comfortably place it in my top 3 games of 2023.

I definitely hope that this game's success gets developers to make more RPGs of this kind and not water down their imsims and cRPGs thinking that causal gamers won't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Vookatos posted:

Beaten Baldur's Gate III

this game only had one really obnoxious NPC and they were a really minor character.
Well now I’m wracking my brain trying to figure out who this could be