Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd argue that MyHouse.wad is actually quite approachable as a piece of horror media. it is, at its core, a story about a haunted house that doesn't fully make spatial sense, which is one of the oldest horror settings there is; it's obviously doing riffs on the backrooms/poolrooms here and there, but the map author is clever enough to both avoid straight up copies and to make them cohere around central themes and motifs that don't require foreknowledge of other properties to understand

i think a big part of its success is that it builds a bridge between generations in a way that makes it highly approachable: older folks who played doom growing up in the era where custom WADs were all the rage can marvel at the technical complexity that's built on top of a familiar framework (which includes the whole "making your house/school/etc. in doom" trend), while zoomers who're intimately familiar with kane pixels and who otherwise know nothing about classic doom get to see a genuinely great digital representation of liminal spaces that puts its own unique spin on the whole thing instead of just copying mr. pixel's homework. i don't think power pak's video on it getting 10m views is a coincidence, but rather a confluence of two very different communities - ancient doom diehards and a new generation of horror hounds primarily raised on FNaF LPs - coming together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I just want to know what it was like for the first person who ventured into an unplayed wad thinking "Oh, okay yeah recreation of a house, I'll do the guy a solid and play it to pay tribute to his friend, got half an hour to spare." and just fell down the rabbit hole, returning to the thread ragged and with a 5-o'clock shadow to post "Hey guys it's, uh"

the only unfortunate thing about releasing a mod like that into the wild for a 30 year old game is that the first people downloading it are going to see the long initial load time and immediately know something's up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i actually played doom 1 and 2 for the first time recently since i grew up in one of them "playing the demon killing game will make you worship satan" households and they unequivocally hold up so many years later. it's one of the most primal FPS gameplay loops you can have, but the combination of the highly diverse enemy cast and the labyrinthine layouts adds a lot of meat to the bone and gives it genuine timelessness

what i liked the most about doom 2 was how much personality there is infused in each level. it's kind of the perfect creative environment: a bunch of young dudes who tasted pioneering success are all now trying to one-up the other ones with their map designs, each of them trying to make something bigger and more clever than their contemporaries. it's something you don't really see in modern FPSes anymore, given the huge teams of people tasked with stitching everything together, and there's something to be said for that loss of auteur energy in a lot of modern productions