Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Desdinova posted:

I loved Alan Wake, is the gameplay the same or did they make it worse for no reason? I love most of Remedy's stuff (couldn't get into MP3) and the plot from what I've seen and the style and the music looks like AW2 is going to be great. Am I going to hate it if I loved the first, even 100% the manuscript? Cos if they made the gameplay worse (less interactive) it's going to be the gaming disappointment of several years.

It's pretty divisive I guess, I'm seeing a lot of people have really extreme negative reactions but I think it feels like someone took the kind of mushy, OK feeling Alan Wake combat and then applied heavy inspiration from newer action and survival horror stuff to tighten it up. It's not perfect, but definitely doesn't feel anywhere close to a "bad game" to me. I have seen some weird takes elsewhere kind of pushing that it's some sort of walking simulator or something, which is ridiculous hyperbole imo. Definitely not "less interactive" at all.

In my mind it just feels like you threw better gunplay together with the light mechanics of AW1 and more puzzles and exploration, stuff to find etc. You get hassled less by constant enemy spawns and there's often a bit more downtime to allow for heavier exploration elements, but it never felt aimless or meandering to me since there's plenty to find and do most of the time. The more open areas remind me of the better parts of Evil Within 2.

I've played and really enjoyed all of Remedy's games (even Quantum Break) and Alan Wake 2 is for me the best of their post-Max Payne stuff. Control was great as a power fantasy with some really killer design but had a really dogshit RNG loot (+ randomized missions, grinding samey dungeons etc) system with a kajillion +X% to Y equippables bursting out of everything (and a limited inventory! hope you like hitting disassemble!) that added way too much pointless menu busywork, and the damage curve on the weapons except for the throw was really hosed by the last 1/4 of the game. Plus the narrative was pretty loose and muddy, never really felt like it came together to anything as great as it felt like it could with the pieces that were on the table. AW2 IMO avoids at least most of the missteps I feel like they ran into the last 3 games.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

The PC port still stutters and DLSS 3 doesn't actually help with that or improve framerates so ray tracing was too much of a performance hit to keep on even with a 3080ti. Which is kind of terrible compared to how well something like Cyberpunk 2077 runs. However, I didn't suffer any crashes or bugs beyond faceless people once or twice.
I've got a 3070 & the DLSS to FSR3 framegen mod (and general performance tweaks) worked pretty well to boost performance pretty heavily, it was also super stuttery and annoying trying to play without it. This game & Alan Wake 2 went from unplayably bad with RT to totally fine. They do require some tweaks to get things looking & working properly but it's not that hard to figure out.

https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=description

Also used one of the optimization mods, this one seemed to get rid of a lot of the remaining microstutter by fixing some of the settings. You may be able to make these tweaks on your own but I didn't:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starwarsjedisurvivor/mods/247?tab=description

People in the comments are saying a new patch broke it, but it may just need to be reinstalled. Guess I'll try it later and see if it broke!

This has been a big help with getting over the hump of god awful performance in these newer games for me, ymmv