Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I just finished out the game and bonus dungeon in Star Ocean: First Departure R. I have mixed feelings about it.

I really loved the original Star Ocean, probably mostly out of nostalgia--it came out right when I went to Japan for a semester abroad and I have a lot of fond memories playing it after class in my tiny room and trading tips with others at the local game store. I played it to death since it was one of the only games I had while there, and when I saw its remake for sale for only 1000 yen on the Switch store I figured I'd pick it up.

It's really weird to see a remake that somehow manages to be worse than the original but I think SOFDR manages it. The original was a flawed game for sure, and the remake makes a lot of improvements, but for every thing that they made better there's a baffling design decision that makes it worse. Having battles in an actual 3D space is a huge improvement, a lot of the weird plot holes are patched, and there are a ton of skills and abilities you can learn that weren't in the original. On the flip side, the camera in battle is awful no matter what setting you have it on, there are events that were changed for the worse or outright removed, the ability to create crazy chain combos of the original was pulled completely, requirements for getting certain party members are inexplicably more strict and arbitrary, a lot of the combat techniques were nerfed too hard, and most importantly, there's no way to go back to the first planet after you beat the game, making a ton of content "missable" in a way the original never did.

I had fun with it, but rather than play it again it with a different party it made me want to give the original another whirl, so maybe I'll do that if the battery hasn't died after 25+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU