Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I got on a horror kick for Halloween and beat both Evil Withins for the first time, with my beating EW2 a few days before Thanksgiving. The series really wears its influences on its sleeve: the first EW is just a mediocre RE clone with some incredibly dumb bullshit thrown in for good measure, while the second, being a mix of TLoU/RE/PT/SH, was a much more enjoyable experience. The writing is bad across both games, but it works a lot better in EW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

the rat fandom posted:

Just beat resident evil 7 and still not sure how I feel about it. Great atmosphere, but I hated most of the dialog and essentially being a pair of sentient arms was way too video games to really hit the level of immersion the devs were clearly aiming for.

I get what they were aiming for, but Capcom's refusal to show us Ethan's face was just so weird. It'd be one thing if he was a blank slate of a character, but compared to other RE protags he had actual wants and desires that extended beyond "trying to survive this nightmare I'm stuck in."

I'm not claiming that he was a character with depth, but of all the RE characters they could have picked to be faceless I think he was the worst one.

Anyways, just wrapped up the main portion of Powerwash Simulator, and man, what a relaxing game. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Beaten Super Mario Bros Wonder

I haven't played Wonder, but from what I've seen in a lot of ways it really seems to be Nintendo's response to what the Mario Maker community was doing, and honestly as much as Nintendo seems to hate its consumer base at times I think that's pretty cool.

Anyways, beat Moonscars today. Played it mostly blind until the end so I missed out on two of the alternative endings, but while a short but solid Metroidvania, I dunno if I care enough to bother getting those

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Mega Man 11 today.

It took me a minute to get into the gameplay flow; I'm not certain if the new aesthetics were messing with me, the Double Gear system wasn't my cup of tea (speed gear is fine, but I only ever used power gear during the boss rush at the end), or if I've just grown out of MM-style games; I didn't particularly enjoy the last few MM Zero knockoffs I played, and it took me a while to get through this because I wasn't clicking with the gameplay until like Wily 2.

I might replay it to see how I really feel about it, but I dunno

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Just got the third (of three) endings for The Talos Principle, so I think I can safely say that I've completed the game. I enjoyed the puzzle solving a lot and didn't find it particularly challenging, but by the time I started working on getting the stars in each level I was ready to move on to another game, so I cheated and used a walkthrough to find them. Not particularly interested in hunting down the easter eggs or the remaining trophies, so I think I can call it a wrap.

Not really sure what I'm going to play next; I've made some headway into Disco Elysium and played the first mission of Strangers in Paradise: FF Origins, but I want another game I can put podcasts on while I play. Unfortunately DE requires my full attention and SiP won't let me use the PS Spotify app while playing, which is an active turnoff for me. Maybe I'll start another puzzle game next

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

It's been a while, but iirc:
- ascending without all the stars ("try again"/bad ending)
- ascending with all the stars (awakening/good ending)
- not ascending and instead going down the basement to become Elohim's little helper (guide/mentor/secret ending)

Minor correction:

The stars aren't required for the first two endings; you have the first ending correct, but you get the second ending after climbing to the top of the tower and completing the final segment of puzzles. No need to collect all the stars, but you do have to collect all of the tetrominoes to proceed through the tower.

The stars are required for the third ending, however

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So I finally got around to beating Yakuza 7 after my original playthrough was interrupted by Elden Ring dropping a couple of years ago. Terrific ending, and I love each and every member of the party.

Also, this may be a hot take, but I actually prefer the English cast over the Japanese one save for all of the returning characters. English Kiryu is rooooouuuugh to listen to.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, Eri was an optional character in LAD7? :psypop:

Yup, and arguably the best character in the game! She carried me through most of the endgame lol

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, once you get the business to Rank 100 she decides to join the team.

You can even romance her :ssh:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I now have finished Judgment, which was next in line of my list of Yakuza games I got close to finishing but fell off for various reasons. I was a lot closer to the endgame for it than I was in Y7, but coming back to it I remembered exactly why I fell off; getting the final few side cases and friends was a lot of busy work that I didn't enjoy at all, and while I like Yagami, the supporting cast in Judgment wasn't my favorite (especially when compared to the Y7 cast, which is just aces) And while I liked Yagami's play style, I wish that most of Yagami's heat moves weren't just reskins of Kiryu's heat moves from previous games, but that's neither here or there.

The only two Yakuza games I have left to finish are Kiwami 2 and 6, but the reason why I didn't finish either is because I was playing them off of PS Plus and they went away before I could finish them, so that's it for the list until I get them on sale. In the meantime I'll either move on to Lost Judgment or Spider-Man 2 while I wait for Rebirth to drop

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, as someone whose only experience with TR is the reboot trilogy, the whole thing is diminishing returns; I liked a lot about the environments and set pieces in Rise (although not as much as 2013), but Shadow felt very phoned in

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Steelrising today. Honestly not the worst Soulsborne I've played by any stretch, but it might have been the easiest. I think the most I died against any boss was four times; I struggled far more with getting lost while backtracking for side quests than I did against any combat encounter.

If I had to rate it, I think I'd give it a 6/10. Controlling Aegis felt fine, but map design was all over the place, enemies were kinda samey, the game is incredibly easy to cheese (you probably shouldn't be able to freeze enemies in a Soulsborne), and while I get why French developers would think setting the game in Revolutionary France was a good idea, in the end I don't think it added much to the game. Most of the supporting cast are historical figures from the time, and as I remember them, most of them are gigantic assholes I don't want to talk to (and do they talk!).

Honestly, it kinda feels like a rush job, I know it came out before Lies of P did, but it feels like they saw the announcement of LoP, went "yeah we can do that," and threw it together in a few months. There's stuff that can be built on (I like the traversal/exploration upgrades), but the elemental system needed better balance than what was in the final game, the enemy AI is pretty dumb (and broken, there were multiple instances of enemies outright not attacking me even when attacked) and I would have liked more aesthetic variety. If Spiders ever comes back to this setting I would like them to bake the game for a while longer

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

To continue the Yakuza/LAD combo, I've just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 AND Yakuza 3 Remastered.

YK2 is easily one of the best game I've played, Y3R is... alright. There's some good bones but it feels janky throughout. Not to be a complete downer, I will say I definitely enjoyed it, especially the orphanage parts: taking care of the kids, helping them solve their problems, it was heartwarming in a way that I did not expect. The new characters grew on me, especially gramps/Rikiya, and I was devastated when the dumbass took a bullet for Kiryu.

e: I immediately started Yakuza 4 and I'm shocked at how much better it feels/looks.

It's funny that you bring up Yakuza 3, as I was just listening to Pat describe it in the latest episode of Castle Superbeast as the oldest and worst one in the series that people can play easily now (since Kiwami 1 and 2 replace the originals now), but still being one of the most important because of the character beats it sets up for Kiryu for the rest of the series

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

That seems like it would just confuse people, I don't think they would do that.

Yeah, like imagine what would happen if they were to ever resume numbering normally afterwards, it would probably kill the series

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Spider-Man 2 today. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as SM1; I thought the pacing both in story and in game was all over the place, and despite Miles just having the better gameplay, he felt like an afterthought for most of the game. Things came together at the end, and they laid down a lot of threads for the next game (spoilers: Silk possibly being the second main character with Miles in the mentor position, Green Goblin, Carnage, Doc Ock returning, possibly one of Kraven's kids showing up), and I hope some things remain the new status quo (Peter being semi-retired while keeping the Anti-Venom symbiote, which would give him a distinct power set from Miles gameplay-wise, Miles being the primary Spider-Man), but gameplay-wise I hope they try to shake things up a bit. Web-gliding didn't really add all that much to the game, and I hope that they bring back traversal/stealth challenges, because I enjoy those much more than the combat challenges we got. Also for the love of god no more MJ sections

Also, Peter and Harry was by far the more interesting couple

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 6, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge today. What a nice, short game to play through, and very needed after a couple of open world games. Good combat, good music, and gameplay that knows exactly what it wants to do

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tortolia posted:

I think the only way Nioh surpasses Nioh 2 is in having a character with a defined personality and dialogue, because William is delightful. Both games are great though.

Yeah, I ended up really liking William at the end. I generally prefer to create a character for Soulslikes, but if your character is going to be an active part of the narrative, then they should be a defined character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Honestly if Sega came out and said that yeah, that was the case, I would totally buy it