Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Curse of the Sea Rats: I had kickstarted this game (because I'm a sucker), and it was fine. It's a competent metroidvania from a small indie studio. The artwork is hand-drawn and beautiful, and there are several, well-done animated cutscenes. However, the gameplay itself is mediocre. The controls felt clunky at times, and the animations would sometimes take too long or start up at the wrong time. There isn't a lot of variety in the enemies, and most of the bosses are easily cheesed (or their patterns are super easy to learn).

My biggest gripe is that they turn fast travel off during the end game, so to wrap up any side quests or finish optional bosses, you have to trudge through the entirety of the map to get where you want to go. And they don't really warn you this is going to happen, so I was caught off-guard.

I enjoyed it, and if you're looking for another metroidvania to play and have played all the others, this will certainly scratch that itch. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it over the many other stellar examples of the genre.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I just beat The Outer Wilds. It is an absolutely incredible experience, the kind of game I want to grab people by the shoulders and beg them to go play, but also one I don't want to tell them ANYTHING about because I wouldn't want to get in the way of them getting to experience everything for the first time. I played it in VR which was an absolutely fantastic experience, but the "standard" way of playing it would also be incredible because the writing, visuals and score are all top notch.

Loved the Outer Wilds as well. Though, playing in VR sounds like I'd be :barf: almost immediately.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Celeste 64 is a blast. It's a free Nintendo 64 inspired platformer from the Celeste team. They said it was made in about a week, so it's not very fine-tuned and pretty short. But it was still really fun.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 3, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Here Comes Niko! - a chill 3D platformer where the goal is to help people with their simple problems (catching fish, reuniting missing friends, playing volleyball, etc.). The game is not challenging, so it's perfect to play while watching TV or listening to music or whatever. The art design is Paper Mario-esque and cute. The controls are fine - you can jump and dive all over the drat place. I encountered some glitches, but nothing game breaking. Overall, a cute and chill game to vibe with.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Maquette is a first-person puzzle game using a "world within a world" concept. You can manipulate objects around you by placing them in or removing them from a diorama of the world you are playing inside. It gets pretty interesting but never too challenging. There are better first-person puzzle games out there, but it's on Game Pass and is relatively short.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Maquette is a pleasant enough game with an interesting gimmick that feels a little underbaked. There are some clever puzzles but it never quite gels into a coherent whole, and is occasionally janky and somewhat frustrating. The story is also a little too “quirky millennial indie movie couple” for me and doesn’t really mesh with the gameplay in the way it’s clearly trying to. It’s essentially a mediocre walking sim bolted onto an okay puzzle game. I did like it enough to finish it but it doesn’t feel like it ever really figures out what to do with the core gimmick.

I thought the story was fine, but I agree that it didn't tie into the gameplay like it wanted to. Also, agreed that it never really nailed down its core mechanic - hell, 2 of the 7 levels don't even use the mechanic. Now that you point it out, it did feel like other Annapurna, story-based walking sims with puzzles tacked on top. But it was short and "free", so I didn't mind that much.

Edit:

I finished Nobody Saves the World, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The journey to S-rank every form didn't feel like a grind, and it was fun to explore the different combinations of active and passive abilities. Dungeons level up with you, so you never feel insanely overpowered, which some may not enjoy. I don't intend to play NG+ or the DLC, but it was a solid experience.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Ghostory is a puzzle platformer where you can turn into a ghost to phase through platforms. But when you're a ghost, you can't carry your backpack to pick up or use keys. The concept was fun, but it was a bit too long. Once you understand the basic gameplay, nothing significant is added to the puzzles - the levels just get bigger which requires lots of backtracking. Wouldn't recommend.