Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Max Payne 3 was completely off my radar when it released but I grabbed it on sale and beat it last week. It was... pretty good? The gunplay felt great, just super punchy and visceral, and the enemy reactions really sell the combat, making it feel extremely weighty and satisfying. I enjoyed the story more than I expected too - I wouldn't say there was a lot of nuance or emotional resonance, but it was just a really well executed crime story about a hosed up little man being hired specifically to play the role of a hosed up little man, slowly realizing that, and taking steps to do better and become an ever-so-slightly less hosed up little man. That said, I kind of hated the pacing and overall design. I'm sure plenty of words have been written about the cutscenes after every single encounter but it just absolutely killed the pacing and made the levels feel incredibly disjointed. I don't need a cutscene showing Max walking from one room to the next room, then seeing some guys walk in and ducking behind cover. It's okay to just let me, y'know, walk from one room to the next room, see some guys walk in, and duck behind cover myself (or don't, because it's Max Payne and I could just, like, start shooting in their general direction). I certainly don't need that kind of cutscene between every single fight. I also didn't care for the dozen or so turret-type sequences, or the equally-frequent times the game forced you into a scripted slow-motion shooting gallery sequence where you're diving onto or falling off of something - it just felt like the game was trying way too hard to be cool and shoving it in your face, instead of just creating situations where you could do those kind of things and letting it happen naturally. The "trying too hard" feeling extended into the cutscenes too, with constant chromatic aberrations and text overlays that just didn't work for me and didn't have a tenth of the charm of the older games' comic panels.

That said, the gameplay was good enough to overcome a lot of the shortfalls and I could see myself replaying it. It also made me want to go back through the older games, which I've started on and may make another post about.

Even if MP3 is an okay game, I deeply resent it for representing the fact that Remedy can't make Max Payne the protagonist of Alan Wake's pulp crime novels and Saga's partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane. Really fun Ace Attorney clone which manages to feel like its own thing story-wise even if its mechanics are 99% copied.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ineffiable posted:

I hope this thread sticks around. It's a great place to see who is playing what and talk about games we finished.

Anyways, I finished Tyrion Cuthbert Attorney of the Arcane. Great game for ace attorney fans. Really stands on its own in the later half. Can't wait to see what they do with a potential second game.

Tyrion Cuthbert rules, I love how the spells basically have D&D spell list descriptions down and you can be like "um akshully you couldn't have used this spell because it has a fifteen foot range".

Also the romance is very cute.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished the Obra Din DLC. Not as good as the base game, felt like I needed to make more leaps of logic to solve the puzzles but still a lot of fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I did indeed mean Golden Idol. The names keep getting mixed up in my brain.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Note that each of the different storylines also has multiple variations on the last boss with a different weapon material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just beat West of Loathing and Shadows Over Loathing. Definitely some of the funniest games I've ever played and when the writing decides to take a turn for the serious it can actually be pretty compelling.