Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I finished Skyward Sword HD on the Switch, using the non-motion version of the controls, which makes it a lot better. However, and I am not happy to admit this, all-in-all, it was a disappointment. Zelda is my all-time favorite series, no question. But, drat, this one ended up at the bottom of the pile for me. It just turned into a chore, and about five, maybe ten hours too long.

There is only one populated area and a mere three gameplay areas, which means lots and lots of backtracking. The floating islands that surround the main area is not interesting and the loftwing traversal- the only way to get around the overworld- is dull, dull, dull. There are no interesting characters, save one, and so I couldn't name any of them right now. Also, you have to endure the Silent Realms FOUR bloody times. Awful. The music, apart from the Ballad of the Goddess isn't very memorable or interesting, either. The final act is a torturous slog, although the final boss battle and ending are really solid.

I never thought I'd come across a Zelda game that I didn't like and would never play again, but so it goes. Oh, yeah, and switching around and using items is clumsy and crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I played about 10 or 15 hours of it when it first came out, but the motion controls were so terrible that I gave up.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

Earthbound was very much fun and silly as expected. A lot more tricky combat encounter puzzles than I expected in a good way.

Earthbound is the best RPG on the SNES. THE BEST. If you liked EB and haven't already played it, I highly recommend Mother 3 for the GBA. You'll have to track down an english translation romhack, but it's killer.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yakuza 0 is so good. Majima's fighting styles are a lot of fun to use, and it's neat to see them come back(although, I suppose that might be backwards, didn't 1 come out before 0?) in Kiwami. I loved the wild tonal shifts, going from goofy cabaret stuff to dudes fully shotgunning hapless fools in the face, reuniting families and then, in the next quest, like, just beating on hapless nerds mercilessly, then back to heavy Yakuza duty themes.

So cool.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
You can have a chicken named Nugget as a business manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think Sleepy Dogs was really trying to ape Yakuza at all, it's completely a GTA style open world game, and the PS2 GTAs at that; that's exactly why there are a bunch of side activities that don't even bother with preamble and old-school collectathons all over the shop.

Also it's a personal favorite, brawling in a club while Hudson Mohawk blasts or bombing down the highway to Aberdeen at absurd speeds while Echo Beach is playing is peak gaming, but I can see where your critique is coming from and I can't say it's really wrong it just... doesn't drag the game down for me.

Agreed. It was the continuation of True Crime: Streets of LA(and NY), which was a frickin rad cop action movie in videogame form. And SD was a classic John Woo(story-wise)/Johnny To triad movie. Not really a reaction to Yakuza games at all.

Though, i wonder if I would have felt the same way if I'd done Yakuza games first.

Edit- You're a habitual flirt.