Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Finished The Forgotten City. Quite enjoyed it and it was obviously made by someone with a lot of passion for history, even if the conversations were adorably video-gamey. Only got three of four possible endings but I don’t think I’m particularly bothered to go back for the one I missed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Finally finished the inkle Sorcery! game — I’d played all the way through to near the end of the last game when they first came out but I got stuck and frustrated and gave up. The iOS apps also work on AS Macs so I started over and completed it this time :toot:

Really impressed with all the ways choices from earlier games carry over to later ones; I don’t think I’m going to NG+ any time soon so I went looking up things I missed in a guide and there’s loads! Really seems like you could replay it and have quite a different experience. There’s quite a few things I’m curious about that the wiki doesn’t cover and it’s hard to find info about a relatively small, old indie game like this.

It’s kind of given me a hankering to get back into IF games as well TBH.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Goddamn I read Obra Dinn DLC and shouted “what the gently caress?!” at my phone IRL

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Last night my partner and I finished our couch co-op playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 3. As somebody who’s played through D:OS 2, it’s really incredible both how free you are to approach things in such a wide variety of ways, probably even better than their previous games — but also how rickety the UX is when using a controller, in some ways even worse than their previous games. And as somebody who’s never played D&D before, I feel like they’ve done a great job making a really complex system accessible, while at the same time not quite going far enough to explain a lot of concepts.

It’s totally deserving of all the praise it gets and from watching a couple of people stream the game I can already see we missed lots of content even though it felt like we were being super thorough (~220 hrs!); we’ll definitely give it a second playthrough. I’m going to look into some mods to make the interface less painful beforehand, though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I finished Cocoon — I feel like it got poorly received earlier in this thread but I really enjoyed it! It's certainly not very difficult and extremely linear, but the atmosphere and vibes are amazing. I really enjoyed the deeply alien environments and the juxtaposition of cute and sinister throughout. It's not going to scratch a hardcore puzzle itch like Recursed or something but it's a treat nonetheless.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Vookatos posted:

Beaten Baldur's Gate III

this game only had one really obnoxious NPC and they were a really minor character.
Well now I’m wracking my brain trying to figure out who this could be

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Very strange way to spell Wyll

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Finally got around to finishing Grand Theft Auto V, and followed it up with Grand Theft Auto IV. GTAV is clearly technically much better, with a lot more to do, while GTAIV has hilarious jelly-physics driving and is astonishingly desaturated almost the entire time. But I still think IV is more fun, though? Partly because the AI affords more random interactions that don’t seem to occur in V (people stealing back their cars / hanging on and being dragged away, people fighting each other and getting arrested, police helping out / causing chaos in missions), but also because losing the police is a much more reasonable affair in IV which makes me much more open to goofing around. In V I felt like fun was punished and the smallest infraction got the police after me, who were much harder to shake.

Oh, did I say I finished IV? No, I didn’t, because the “Complete Edition” has a bug in the very last mission that prevents finishing it that Rockstar have never bothered to patch because why would they, they’re absolute assholes. It’s an incredible feat; both games are bags of fun and yet so frustrating (not even mentioning the cursed loving launcher) that I can’t really say I’m looking forward to VI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Getting the end credits is where I called it for Hades as well. It's astonishing how much voiced content there is in that game; I don't think I ever encountered a repeated interaction and I know for a fact there's still a lot of relationship and ancillary dialogue I'll never see.

I just completed The Talos Principle II. It’s really good! Very solid puzzles and enjoyable new mechanics, though only a few puzzles that really properly stumped me. I wouldn’t rate it quite as highly as the first one, though; I guess partly because inevitably a sequel reusing puzzle elements form the first will not feel as groundbreaking, but I also felt the philosophical elements were lacking, or at least not what I was hoping for. I missed the ongoing dialogue that would catch me out when I contradicted something I’d said earlier, and I didn’t find a lot of the premise engaging. A society of sapient robots I can accept, but the extended bellyaching about “will we grow uncontrollably and repeat the mistakes of the past” seemed ridiculous coming from people who don’t need material resources and who don’t reproduce without deliberate effort.

Overall I suppose I was hoping for a different and more in-depth look at “how should a society govern itself”, rather than what felt like a simple growth/stagnation binary.

I also felt like some of the new puzzle elements weren’t really used to their fullest extent or used together; there was a bit too much reliance on the classic lasers/targets mechanic.

But these are really just nitpicks. It’s very good and a satisfying sequel to the original! I recommend it, but with a bit less fervour than I would the first one.