Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I just beat Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2021). I enjoyed it, but I think whether you will depends entirely on how much you care about Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Short review:
- Great characters and story
- Technically sound
- Pretty good combat
- Meh exploration/collectibles
- Bad level design

I wrote a longer (spoiler free) review too: https://steamcommunity.com/id/theslothbear/recommended/1088850/ I don't know why, I just felt compelled to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Finished replaying Hellblade to get all the lorestones this time. My first playthrough was about two and a half years ago at this point I think.

I have to turn post processing as low as possible and sit far back from the screen to minimize motion sickness. I forgot to do that at first and oof, Blair Witch experience until I fixed that.

The puzzles were nowhere near as annoying as I remembered the second time around, in fact a lot of them were just fun. Maybe once you get the hang of how they work they're more manageable. Or maybe not just wanting to get through it all for the next story bit made them less annoying. Combat is still largely an afterthought. I honestly think the game would have been improved with a 'skip the fight' button, which is as much a diss to the combat as it is praise of everything else.

The voice acting, mocap, writing, atmosphere, all so drat good though. Hopefully the next one lowers some of the downsides and keeps the strengths.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I finished playing through the remasters of Life is Strange and Before the Storm that I foolishly purchased in a fit of madness bundled with True Colors.

The Before the Storm remaster is legit just a worse version of the game, the graphic improvements are not that amazing and BTS had better graphics to start with and it added a bunch of audio bugs that caused about a half dozen voicelines to just not play. It didn't change anything about the awful voice acting for the background characters which is the main thing that game needed improvement in. The remaster of the original is more of a wash as the graphic improvements look better and make more of a difference, but there were two glitched areas where an an interactable just didn't appear one of which came back when I reset the whole game and the other I had to go search online to find a very specific order to solve a problem in before it would appear that would have basically hard locked the game for me if someone hadn't figure out a convoluted workaround.

The masses were right, just buy the originals.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 21, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shard posted:

My daughter and I played through the remaster and I was so upset that the music at the end glitched out on like 4 of the 5 episodes.

Yeah the ending montage of LIS chapter 1, which one of the coolest moments in playing through it for the first time in the original, had like a strobe light flashing over it or something. Completely ruined the impact.