Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I beat Control. Fun game great setting nice vibes. I think I'll probably do the two DLC thingies if they're any good. Hell I might do them just cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

While I intend to play through the DLC, I finished the main thread of The Case of the Golden Idol and wanted to talk about it a bit.

A masterpiece of storytelling that lets you fill in the blanks about an odd golden idol and the lengths the characters will go to to have it and use its powers. Also the gameplay is literally filling in blanks about the who what when where and why of increasingly complicated murders.

I loved the game's hands-off approach to telling its story. All the pieces are there but nothing's too explicit. There were times where I had just enough of a clue to put the details together and would surprise myself by reaching the correct conclusion. I'd think, "well how was I supposed to know that for sure?" Then I'd poke around the scene some more and there would be something I had overlooked, misremembered, or overthought that made the conclusion seem obvious and clever as hell in retrospect.

Like I said I'm eager to get home from work today to stumble through the DLC, which seems to explain some of the backstory. Also thrilled to see there's a sequel in the works that takes place 300 years after the first. Hotly anticipating that one!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I beat The Swapper. I really liked it whenever it came out but got frustrated on one level and never came back to it. Until this past weekend! I had to look at some clips to get me on the right track for most of the final puzzles. Quick game, interesting story. Reminded me a bit of the book Blindsight. It's neat that all the assets were made of clay and digitized. Gives it an interesting look.

I really like puzzle games but I often get to a point where I have to look stuff up and then I feel like a dummy. I paid to have puzzles to solve and then I just watch someone else solve it and do what they do. Idk. I think it's probably more fun than opening the game up for an hour or so every night and staring dumbfounded at the same puzzle until eureka!

It's why I've never finished Baba is You, Railbound, The Talos Principle, etc.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

During the eclipse I:

Killed the Orphan of Kos
Killed the secret boss of Bloodborne

thus earning myself the platinum trophy as well as 100% completion in the DLC for Bloodborne, a game I thought I'd never beat.

Unparalleled setting and vibe. Solid combat, and I liked that they de-emphasized gear, no faffing about with shields and rings and trinkets and necklaces or whatever. I like those FromSoftware guys, I bet they'll make a really good game some day.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

If you follow Doom speed running standards then the game is considered 100% done when all non-glitched collectables are collected and all non-glitched enemies are defeated. Good luck 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The DLC cases were a little too clever with some of the solutions but were still good fun. Can't wait for the sequel!