Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Punished Ape posted:

Beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It was... ok. I preferred the first one and X. Don't know if I want to wait a while then start Torna or do something else.

I couldn't even continue playing past a certain point, it just bored me to tears. Haven't played X but XB1 was a great game so I'm utterly confused now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Heran Bago posted:

I finished Death Stranding Directors Cut. Whew.
Some games I beat before that were like, Nier Automata, FFVII Remake, Pikmin 4, Elden Ring, and Tears of the Kingdom. I've gotten so used to big game completely blowing away my expectations that I'm completely hosed trying to choose a new one. I haven't been hit this hard with the listlessness between games in a while.

The hell am I supposed to play after Death Stranding?

If it doesn’t have to be open world, Baldur’s Gate 3

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
To continue the Yakuza/LAD combo, I've just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 AND Yakuza 3 Remastered.

YK2 is easily one of the best game I've played, Y3R is... alright. There's some good bones but it feels janky throughout. Not to be a complete downer, I will say I definitely enjoyed it, especially the orphanage parts: taking care of the kids, helping them solve their problems, it was heartwarming in a way that I did not expect. The new characters grew on me, especially gramps/Rikiya, and I was devastated when the dumbass took a bullet for Kiryu.

e: I immediately started Yakuza 4 and I'm shocked at how much better it feels/looks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Finished Yakuza 4 Remastered. From the start it felt like a technical improvement over 3, graphically pretty modern. I thought the story was interesting but the forced running around (as Saejima) dragged a bit. The addition of roofs and underground was cool, something I didn't hear much about prior to playing it, but it made navigating Kamurocho confusing. Akiyama's and Hana's VA was a major standout (of course it was when Hana was voiced by Aya Hirano), and in general I liked Akiyama as a character a lot. I think they did Hana dirty, making her one of the only characters in the franchise that is not slim as a stick (not counting the random thugs on the streets), and tied it to some dumb character arc where she loses weight in the end. Like what.

I'm writing this as I'm about ~10 hours into Yakuza 5 Remastered, and I hope that 3'll get a Kiwami treatment, but 4 and 5 seem alright to me without it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jerusalem posted:

Hana ruled and the out-of-nowhere weight loss at the end was powerfully stupid, yeah.

When she beats the utter poo poo out of those idiots who try to break into Sky Finance is so loving cool.

She ruled for sure, wish Yakuza had more/better female characters.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

abraham linksys posted:

I have completed The Great Ace Attorney 2. A great weight has been lifted.

I played the first Great Ace Attorney in 2021. I'd never played an Ace Attorney before, but it seemed like it'd be fun. I was, honestly, not really prepared for it to be a visual novel - I guess in my head I'd always envisioned more puzzle solving and more proper conversation trees - but god, I loved the story, and the characters. Yes, even Sholmes, if forced to admit it.

I should have just kept playing and done the second game - they're sold as a single compilation, and the first game ends on a cliffhanger - but, for some reason, I didn't. Weirdly, this lead to me experiencing the game the way the Japanese playerbase would have: originally, the games had a two year gap between their releases (2015 and 2017). So, just like those players, I started off the second game trying desperately to remember what the hell was going on.

Thankfully, the game caught me back up pretty quick with a brilliant introductory case. I was surprised by just how different every trial in this game is - there's jumps in time and characters that keep the formula fresh through 45 hours (!) of reading. I also appreciated that the meatiest part of the game in terms of investigation length and puzzle difficulty is right in the middle, so in the end when the twists are coming left and right and the narrative is hurtling towards a finish, it doesn't block you from seeing things through by continuing to increase the challenge. Very well-paced game for its length.

I should note the length there isn't because I'm a slow reader, it's because the game actually prevents you from just pressing A to tap through the dialogue as fast as you can read. This is the same in the first game, and I continue to both think it's the correct design - the animations the characters have are so good and detailed for a VN, to the point you naturally hear them deliver the dialogue as you read it - and also frustrating, because it makes these games long. I would love to play the first 6(!) games in this series, but goddamn, I don't have (checks How Long To Beat) a combined 150 hours. That said, I walked away from this thinking I'll take all of that you got!, so I bet I'll get to at least the first trilogy sooner rather than later.

I have... so many thoughts about this game's story. I played it over the course of a few months, and reviewing my notes, I completely forgot how many weird turns it takes. But ultimately, I'm extremely happy with how it wrapped up, and how all of its mysteries were resolved. I expected it to drop the ball at some point, and it never did. There are a couple deus ex machinas that were a bit too "out-there" - particularly in episode 5 when they just give Sholmes a loving cell phone and a goddamn hologram, though even that leads to some of the best moments in the game - but otherwise nothing felt too cheap or unearned.

I might take some more specific thoughts over to the Ace Attorney thread soon because I feel like I need a debrief on what I just experienced, but, goddamn. Great game.

The Ace Attorney games allow you to skip lines. The 2D ones always, the 3D ones when there isn't an elaborate animation going on (this is not as often as you might think). But I'd swear this was the case for the Great Ace Attorney as well!

Also the 2 compilations are both trilogies, and as such they're much easier to play one game at a time with long breaks in between without losing the plot. My playtimes are ~62 hours for Great Ace Attorney, 44 for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, and ~50 for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy. But note that I think I'm a decently fast reader and sometimes I would skip lines before the voice over was finished, and I also skipped the Big Top case in the Phoenix Wright trilogy because it seems to be universally panned.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2024

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Jerusalem posted:

Everything from "Zelda" showing up to save Link through to Link FINALLY catching her hand this time around was.... goddamn, what an incredible game :shobon:

:yeah:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

I brought my Drake posted:

So more like preloaded basic software on industry hardware? Like HELLO WORLD written in plain text? The thought of some megacorp deploying AI infrastructure with Simon's scan preloaded makes my skin crawl.

If you're not familiar with it I recommend reading this short story: https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Actually the whole Valuable Humans in Transit and Other Stories anthology is extremely worth reading.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Finished my 2nd playthrough of Sekiro. Great loving game that didn't age a single bit since 2019.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I haven't finished it yet despite putting 35 hours into it way back in 2017 :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I beat Moonlight Pulse the other day. It's the new game from developer of Vision Soft Reset, which itself was a metroidvania with a cool twist.

In Moonlight Pulse you play the role of Curatives, agents living inside a large organism that try to eradicate parasites. Apart from the unusual setting, it has nice art, cool music, and the gameplay involves switching between several agents who each have different set of abilities, and they support each other when close to death.
It took me ~6 hours to finish.