Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I beat Monster Hunter Stories 2 for a 2nd time. It's my favorite Pokemon style game - bar none. It's based off of a lot of simple strength vs weaknesses mechanics all layered on top of each other, which give it some depth, and variety of choice. So in a battle you're considering the type of attack you do, the type of weapon you use, the element you use, the type of monster you're deploying, and your NPC party mates, as well as some mechanics surrounding items. The art style, music and story telling are great too.

I hope they can tweak it if they make a 3rd one, because the game has some bad balance. There are some really interesting mechanics you can exploit, or go out of your way for the best monsters; but doing so will make you way too excessively strong. Strong to the point that you'll enter a new area, and already have the option to auto-complete battles because you're so strong. At the point of the game where that extra work you can put into it IS valuable (ie, post-game), the formula is wearing a bit thin.

Very fun game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU