Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Beat Chants of Sennaar, a very good puzzle game where you try and decipher a language by interpreting pictograms. It uses the same mechanism as Return of the Obra Dinn (another very good puzzle game) where you have a input several guesses before the game validates all of them. It prevents you to brute force

Minor spoiler, about 2-3 hours in, but which was a pleasant surprise for me: You actually have to decipher and translate 5 languages, each one with different grammar, pictogram style and sentence structure, which is pretty good. It fits with the Babel theme, and at the end of the game you can "speak" fluently in all of them.

It's very chill and the UI is very clear, "translating" sentences you see on screen with your guesses so you can change assumptions on the fly. It tends to easy in places, but the pacing and difficulty is pretty good. I've seen 2 different LPs of the game because I find mental processes fascinating, and both groups got stuck in the same word, but the rest flows very well.

The ending and the secret is kind of meh, but the journey is well worth it. Recommended if you like Obra Dinn or Heaven's Vault. The puzzle aspect is worse than Obra Dinn, but not by much, and the UI and pacing is way better than Heaven's Vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

grate deceiver posted:

Finished In Stars and Time. It's a timelooping game, I think one of the best I've played. It's also a RPGMaker game, but the overall production is extremely good, some very nice art, music and a pretty great story. There's some combat, mechanics are varied enough to be inteesting but also not to complex to become tedious on repetition. I think the game gets pretty close to the sweet spot for a looping game where it very rarely gets tedious or automatic. There's also much more going on than you initially think. Finished it in 23hrs, might take a few more to finish all achievements and see all events, but I'm happy with the resolution I got. At times it felt a bit too cute for me, but that might just be me being old. Strong recommend.

That looks interesting. Do I have to play the prequel(?) prologue (?) or whatever Start Again is, to get it?