Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I beat the main campaign of Dicey Dungeons a few days ago. It was pretty fun, and the soundtrack is fantastic, but I felt like it was wearing its welcome out by the time I got to the later levels, where whether you win or lose is basically up to how hard the RNG wants to gently caress you on rolls / enemies. If you run into a particularly tough enemy, sometimes it basically just makes it impossible to finish the episode because there's no way you're gonna get to the next level up / health pickup based entirely on the amount of HP you're guaranteed to lose to the next enemies on attrition. I would have liked it better if they put in more episodes that varied the gameplay instead of the ones that are more of a slog where enemies have more HP / hit you harder, the way they mix it up for the final episode feels wasted by only getting to do it that one time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

i beat Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, and i have some complicated, rambling thoughts for a complicated, rambling game
:words:

Just beat this a couple days ago myself, and while I didn't play it on hard because I'm past the point in my life where difficulty meaning "gently caress-you damage sponges" appeals to me, I feel the same way about the story; it started out really interesting and making me want to know where things were going to go, but about 3/4 of the way through it becomes clear that they forgot to actually finish the story, and that carries through to the barely-an-ending.

As for the gameplay, the traversal and exploration was great and it felt really good to explore the map and there are some really good puzzles and creative use of the powers you get in solving them, but the combat largely felt like a miss to me. I'm not sure if it's a delay on my TV or how the switch version plays or a combination of the two, but it took longer than I would have liked to get used to the way parrying works, it felt like if I didn't hit the parry button at the very moment the enemy's attack animation started and not when it actually looks like they're swinging at you, you're getting owned. Oddly this did not apply to projectiles though, which I had no problem parrying except for when you're surrounded by archers and you can't just do a rapid direction+parry button to deflect from all sides; if you're fighting something in one direction and an arrow sails toward your back from offscreen, you're just eating that damage. Wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish and enjoy the game as a whole, but it felt like they were trying to do a 2D soulslike thing but they didn't stick the landing, especially if you've played something like Dead Cells where they do it much better. It does get more tolerable once you have a few sword upgrades, but that highlights another thing - I also felt like they start you out too weak and until you get a couple upgrades everything feels like a slog to kill.

It's a shame too, because I really enjoyed everything outside of that. Getting through the puzzles felt really fun and rewarding, and the environments are interesting to explore, I think you should give them more of a shot if you find yourself coming back to the game. The only complaint I had there is the amount you have to backtrack to get to areas that you want to go back to explore once you have the abiities to access them. The warp zones are far too sparse and feel unnecessary when they could just use the arkenstones bonfires grace sites wak-wak trees instead, especially since they're where you warp to when you die.

And I didn't find the bosses to be that bad, but that's probably because I thoroughly explored every new area and found enough of the coins upgrade cellphone things to max my swords and best amulets out, along with getting enough amulet slots to stack all the good damage boosting amulets. I don't recall any bosses that necessitated using the Kirby ability but I agree that they didn't really make much good use of it except for using it to remove obstacles to new areas.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I beat En Garde! yesterday, it's a short game but what a blast it is to play. The combat is sort of like the Batman Arkham games in that you are often dealing with crowds of multiple enemies surrounding you and you have a wide variety of acrobatic moves to get around them, but unlike Batman, you can't just mash parry to get yourself out of trouble when every enemy wants to stab you at the same time. It's actually kind of like Sekiro in that defeating enemies depends more on draining their stamina bar rather than just wearing down a health bar, enemies can switch up between parryable and non-parryable attacks, and you have to be deliberate with your sword strikes in order to get some hits in before someone hits you. Being able to separate the weakest enemies from the pack and stab them out one by one is key to survival.

What sets it apart from the combat in either of those games though, is that you also have to make heavy use of environmental obstacles, as you can kick boxes and crates to trip them up, lure them into traps like swinging cages or falling chandeliers, or ignite cannons or other explosives to blow them away (although the game goes out of its way to make it clear that nobody ever dies here, they're just knocked out or too exhausted to fight you anymore). Along with other things like throwing whatever is within arm's reach like tossing a pot on their head or throwing dust in their eyes to temporarily blind them so you can kick them down a flight of stairs or into a weapons rack to pin them down, these all do heavy stamina damage so you can finish them off, or just to get them out of the way for a couple seconds so you can finish off a different enemy. It has to be played to really understand, but it's the first game in a long time where I would consider to combat to be exciting, like even when I spent more game time dying on the final boss battle than in the entire rest of the game combined, it was still just such an absolute joy to play. I hope they make more episodes, because currently the game is only four episodes and can easily be finished in less than 5 hours if you're good at videogames.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LeFishy posted:

I finally got around to finishing Yakuza 0 the other day after starting it when I got my steam deck last March.

Honestly this series was one of the things I was most excited about getting the deck for because every time I've tried to get into it previously I've been stunted by the being a parent and it having 3 hour long cutscenes thing but with the deck's sleep mode this no longer matters!

0 was a bit of a slog though. I really enjoyed it once things really kicked off in the last 3rd or so. I liked all the characters a lot.

Rolled straight into Kiwami after finishing and it feels like it hits the ground running and has a much more exciting pace than the beginning of 0. Loving it!

I need to get back around to Y0, it's the first and only Yakuza game I've played and I fell off it a couple years ago because as you said, the beginning is such a slog and I couldn't bring myself to get past it when there were other games to play that interested me more at the time.