Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I'm very late tot the party but I finished God of War 2018 a couple of days ago. Not much to say that hasn't already been said about this near universally acclaimed game. Its good, turns out. I kind of rushed the final story bits since I wanted to clear it out to get to Dragons Dogma 2, so I will probably go back and do a bunch of the optional stuff like the two additional realms and the Valkyrie fights at some point, which is something I almost never do with games. I was honestly surprised at how good the story and setting were. It has a mythic quality to it that feels more old world than generic fantasy, more like The Green Knight versus Lord of the Rings, if that makes sense. The story has thematic through lines, a proper tragic villain, and some character work that was noticeably better than the vast majority of game stories. Atreus only annoyed me when it was clearly intentional that he was supposed to be annoying and I never got tired of Teal'c shouting "boy!" at him.

The combat is fun and varied enough to keep it interesting through the whole runtime and I feel like the challenge curve stayed pretty even throughout while still throwing trash mobs at you every so often so you could feel like you were getting significantly more powerful. I did beat the final boss on my first go around though, which feels a bit mixed. On the one hand, it feels like there should have been more challenge in the final face off with that fuckin guy but on the other hand winning the fight also felt cinematically meaningful, given the one shot, uncut take style they were going for. Anyway, 10/10 am looking forward to playing Ragnarok at some point soon after I dogma all over this dang dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU