Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I just beat Thief: the Black Parade, a total game mod for Thief Gold. I've not had a game completely consume me like this one did; it's...it's perfect. They perfected the Thief franchise. 10 massive missions, layer upon layer of new material, professional-quality voice acting and asset work and cutscenes and music and writing, all in the same style as the original games, seamlessly extending their plot, but improved in every way that a multi-decade labor of love by a team including professional developers using with modern design and tech can.

I really don't know what anyone else will be able to do now; this free mod has set a bar I don't think anyone can get over for an entire subgenre.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just finished the main story mode of Ghostwire: Tokyo. A very well-made game with absolutely incredible polish and environment work, with the oddly incomplete narrative that seems to be a tendency with Tango. Of note, play on Normal or lower: the balance on Hard, well, isn't. Enemies have too much health and don't reliably stun with your initial damage output for about the first half of the game, and you'll spend a lot of time with no ammo until you gradually unlock upgrades that break the game.

I'm now jumping into its "long tail" roguelite mode, which seems to have avoided all these issues and is just gorgeous.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Just finished 100%ing Ghostwire: Tokyo. A game well worth the price of admission even just for the incredible, incredible assetwork that went into it. If playing, note that the postlaunch "tatari" zero XP mode is for masochists and unlocks nothing. Generally, the difficulty of this game is a bit weird- several semipassive systems buff the player's HP and XP with continued play and minor exploration. This combined with overtuning of enemy health and limited ammo means that the game feels fairly unresponsive and bone-crunching when you start (at least on Hard), and once you hit some basic upgrades around the middle (especially equippables that boost damage or double currency income), the game suddenly flips to pretty trivial. So, basically, play on Normal.

It's hard to overstate how gorgeous this game is; there's lush detail poured into all sorts of gorgeous, nuanced environments, many of which seem to exist entirely for their own sake. Similar close attention is paid to many, many aspects of design, with polish on almost everything nearing a mirror sheen.

As appears to be common with Tango games, there's weird gaps in the plot and underused assets that strongly suggest some sort of major cutting or rewrite occurred during development, with the game world probably only a fraction of what was intended (though it's still plenty). Some of the missing material, including an especially cool haunted school, was added postlaunch, and it appears a lot of additional assets that went unused were instead worked into the really incredibly well-made "long tail" endless mode, Spider's Thread: among other things it's clear the entire region around and including Tokyo Tower were going to be navigable, and the fully modeled criminal characters who frame the mode do nothing while looking suspiciously similar to main story characters in several ways.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

has anyone made a list of all the good boss fights in first person shooters? because i feel like you could include every shooter ever made and the list would be maybe 15 items long at best

This issue would make a great thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Finished the Obra Din DLC. Not as good as the base game, felt like I needed to make more leaps of logic to solve the puzzles but still a lot of fun.

I beg your pardon?!

edit: what a sick tease - I assume you meant golden idol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Just beat and 100%ed Portal Revolution, a Portal 2 mod that got a full independent release and entry with special license from Valve. This mod is mostly notable for its very high production values (better than any other portal mod I've encountered), considerable length (about 40 chambers) and a plot that largely tracks alongside many of beats of Portal 2 itself, adding onto its storyline in a fairly limited and fanservice-y way without being offensive. Gameplay-wise, all the puzzles are fair and well-made, introducing three of completely new mechanics and exploring their interactions with other systems effectively...but not exhaustively. Puzzles in the mod are definitely on the easy side if you're used to common ball-grinding fanmade fare. Another notable feature is excellent checkpointing and a full range of options for spawning from any map in the main menu, which made clearing the (fair, reasonable) achievements far less painful.

Other than occasionally less than perfect VA work and a very weak ending, it's a fantastic mod.

Keep an eye out for the Community easter egg. I feel nothing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Just finished and 100%ed Poems and Codes, a sequel to Prose and Codes, a pair of fantastic games in support of a great cause. Both games use an excellent, frictionless interface to present material from public domain literature (prose in the first game and poetry in the second), encoded in letter substitution cipher form, for the player to solve. After you solve a cipher and reveal the source, you can get a short bio of the author and a direct link to the text in Project Gutenberg, again, opening seamlessly in the background. With hundreds of ciphers from hundreds of texts, these are a fantastic way to expose yourself to a wide range of reading you would not have encountered otherwise, all in a very chill format.

10% of sales are given to Project Gutenberg, and the first game has received occasional updates with additional ciphers (the second just came out a bit ago). Both games have a number of difficulty settings and a range of accessibility options.

Also just beat RYB- a great free abstract puzzle game... except there's a single point of total conveyance failure in one of the last puzzle sets, which was a source of real frustration when everything else worked so well.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 22, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If memory serves this was a duke nukem forever-tier vaporware project that had gone through multiple rewrites and a development death march.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alctel posted:

Just played Obra Dinn not knowing anything about it and blitzed through it in around 5 play sessions

Holy poo poo that is a good game, if you play try to avoid spoilers if you can, some of the reveals were a real wtf moment

It was nice to use some of the useless knowledge I got from the master and commander series re: professions

There's regrettably nothing else quite like Obra Dinn (and no sign of a sequel, augh), but you definitely should give Case of the Golden Idol a spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for the headsup, I thought it was going to be a straightforward puzzle game. Now it's off my backlog.