Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i just finished cocoon and wow was that disappointing. extremely style over substance and very short

the basic idea for the game was interesting, but it didn't really feel like they managed to effectively build upon the worlds-inside-orbs idea much - most of the mechanics they layered on top of that were just not very interesting. the puzzles are largely very straight-forward and streamlined, with only a few interesting ones later in the game, and a few frustrating ones where it didn't feel like the game had properly taught the mechanic required to to solve them or that were overly timing-dependent.

it's also weirdly unfocused? why does this puzzle game have boss fights, which are completely disconnected from the rest of the game mechanically? why are there repeated sequences where you have to aim & shoot projectiles at the right time many times in a row? the bosses are also both uninteresting and punishing - you have to restart the fights after a single hit and they demand just enough precision and are just long enough for them get repetitive quickly.

there are definitely ideas here that could have been the basis for a great game but the result is just lacking. i don't understand the acclaim at all, except that maybe it's a puzzle game for people who don't like puzzles?

lih fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

i'm only about an hour in but i am kinda glad i read this since i was on the fence about continuing it but i keep dying on this second boss fight. think i'll go ahead and put it down, too many games more interesting than this out there

there's this genre of like... indie top-down puzzle-action game that has cropped up over the past few years and they're just never compelling at all. hob (rip runic) is another example of this. tunic is another one, it had some extra gimmicks that made it more interesting to work through but ultimately didn't connect with me how it did with a lot of other people. just a lot of games in this vein that are "this is really well-crafted and pretty and wow this soundtrack is amazing but wow do i not find any enjoyment out of actually playing it"

idk i wouldn't really compare cocoon to tunic at all, but i really liked tunic, some of what it does is absolutely brilliant. it's very much a zelda-like with some la mulana-esque (or even fez/the witness-esque) cryptic tendencies a little deeper in, and it's both good at the zelda-style action-adventure and the cryptic puzzles, though the form the puzzles took at the end of the game was less compelling than what came before. i haven't played hob but my impression is it's similarly influenced by zelda? the whole zelda-like approach is just very different to what cocoon (fairly poorly) does

lih
May 15, 2013

i just beat pony island and i'm kinda amazed that people were really impressed by this 8 years ago? some of the little meta tricks were well-executed but that's about all it had going for it and those few clever moments aren't enough to carry the rest of it which doesn't have much to it. it isn't just that mullins did most of the ideas here better with inscryption, but that pulling similar tricks while having a much much better game attached to it does make pony island pale in comparison.