Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Discendo Vox posted:

Just finished 100%ing Ghostwire: Tokyo. A game well worth the price of admission even just for the incredible, incredible assetwork that went into it. If playing, note that the postlaunch "tatari" zero XP mode is for masochists and unlocks nothing. Generally, the difficulty of this game is a bit weird- several semipassive systems buff the player's HP and XP with continued play and minor exploration. This combined with overtuning of enemy health and limited ammo means that the game feels fairly unresponsive and bone-crunching when you start (at least on Hard), and once you hit some basic upgrades around the middle (especially equippables that boost damage or double currency income), the game suddenly flips to pretty trivial. So, basically, play on Normal.

It's hard to overstate how gorgeous this game is; there's lush detail poured into all sorts of gorgeous, nuanced environments, many of which seem to exist entirely for their own sake. Similar close attention is paid to many, many aspects of design, with polish on almost everything nearing a mirror sheen.

As appears to be common with Tango games, there's weird gaps in the plot and underused assets that strongly suggest some sort of major cutting or rewrite occurred during development, with the game world probably only a fraction of what was intended (though it's still plenty). Some of the missing material, including an especially cool haunted school, was added postlaunch, and it appears a lot of additional assets that went unused were instead worked into the really incredibly well-made "long tail" endless mode, Spider's Thread: among other things it's clear the entire region around and including Tokyo Tower were going to be navigable, and the fully modeled criminal characters who frame the mode do nothing while looking suspiciously similar to main story characters in several ways.

it's not a subtle moment, but I really like the spooky feeling of a space that's supposed to be teeming with people being totally empty. I should get back into GW:T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

databasic posted:

hello has anyone beaten tf2 and how did you do it tia

Titanfall? It's like five hours long

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Play posted:

Maybe they mean team fortress 2? Does that have single player?

That was the joke, yes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Heran Bago posted:

I finished Death Stranding Directors Cut. Whew.
Some games I beat before that were like, Nier Automata, FFVII Remake, Pikmin 4, Elden Ring, and Tears of the Kingdom. I've gotten so used to big game completely blowing away my expectations that I'm completely hosed trying to choose a new one. I haven't been hit this hard with the listlessness between games in a while.

The hell am I supposed to play after Death Stranding?

Snowrunner. It's got a similar vibe, but the soundtrack is slide guitar instead of ethereal indie pop.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FutureCop posted:

I agree that the best part of Death Stranding is delivering stuff and all the logistics that come with it, but I did end up enjoying the combat more when I embraced the perhaps-not-obvious-enough art of box-fu, aka beating the crap out of people by throwing boxes at them. Once you learn of it, you realize the game is secretly built for it since every MULE you beat is carrying dummy boxes which means more ammunition to throw: beat up a MULE with your fists which makes their box drop, catch it during the slow mo and throw it at them, catch the rebound, throw it at someone else, and so on. It ends up as a endlessly flowing combo of fists and boxes being hurled at faces: no guns required.

Here are some examples of the depth of combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNWgBCt0Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1doqdZvnE

The Director's Cut adds dropkicks, it's the best.

gently caress stealth against humans, run into their area and suplex fools.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You're good skipping out on the sequels. The second one adds more crafting! And they don't tone down the death animations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Desdinova posted:

This link takes me to a EHCP (whoever they are) site asking admins to login?

I found a NOLF with Widescreen Patch from 2018 searching around, if it's abandonware I can upload it for archival and preservation reasons.

Yeah it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I just beat Betrayal at Club Low. It was a short and enjoyable trip. Whoever called it "a single highly detailed Deux Ex quest with Disco Elysium vibes" was right.

Have you played the other Cosmo D games? They've got similar vibes but different gameplay (more walking sims than pizza dice spy games).