Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Most recent thing I've beat is Quantum Break, Remedy's multimedia action game/TV show about time powers and the end of the world, the big thing they made between Alan Wake and Control. The "TV show" part is huge 20-30 minute live action cutscenes that show the game's events from a different angle because during actual gameplay you're locked in on the protagonist Jack Joyce. Starts as a passable cover shooter, then as you unlock your time powers and enemies who also have powers it gets a lot more active. Jack is really the weakest character of the whole thing, being mostly unconnected to the actual events of the plot because he just spent six years away. There are plot-important reasons for why the protag has to be relatively unconnected to what's going on but it still means a lot of the wilder background stuff goes unseen. Following someone else would've probably been more interesting and the "plot-important reasons" could've been reworked because after all those are being made up by the writers.

Still a pretty fun game. The live-action cutscenes were surprisingly good, like quality TV sci-fi, which is of course what they were going for. Lance Reddick was absolutely the central pillar holding up so much else with his performance, though, and well... RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Far Cry 3, done. I can see why it was such a big deal for the series and crystallized everything around it - the gameplay was really fun, even if the writing was mostly just serviceable. For all that Vaas is the face of the game, though, I found him incredibly underwhelming as a character. He's exactly what he looks like, a screaming infantile psycho reject from a Mad Max casting call. I was hoping for at least a little charisma, but alas.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

man nurse posted:

There’s a boss health regen mechanic that you have to counter with the appropriating fighting style’s “kiwami” heat finisher. That isn’t so great.

Unless I'm severely misremembering, any weapon heat actions will break the regen too. I chumped most of the bosses out of that poo poo by having Kiryu carry a sword at all times.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Scalding Coffee posted:

Still wondering how it ended up with a Director's Cut. Was the original someone else's cut?

Speculation is that it was a Sony marketing move to call it that, as a publisher. Kojima himself has said he doesn't like the term in this case since it implies something was cut from the original that got restored, when instead the DC added new stuff that wasn't cut.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Punished Ape posted:

Bonus points if they stage an intervention because they don't know what they're looking at

Sudden memories of my brother giving me a leery look when I was like 12 and showed him Creatures in the store, because the box mentioned the norns reproducing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ghostwire: Tokyo, done. Another open-world FPS but set in an abandoned, haunted Shibuya under a red moon. Lots of fun running around, climbing the buildings and magically grappling-hooking tengu to pull myself up to high spots. Stealing cursed treasures for cats, finding hidden tanuki, and bullying protecting yokai from the faceless evil spirits running amok. Good, good game.