Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Final Fantasy 1, simple as it is, managed to stuff in some amazing thematic poo poo for a console video game from 1987! Im a real big fan.

It's kind of like the Tolkien trick of the characters reaching the edge of the map and look out of bounds and speculate. Squaresoft knew effectively what they were doing by adding sudden disparate Sci-Fi environments with no easy answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

lih posted:

i just beat pony island and i'm kinda amazed that people were really impressed by this 8 years ago? some of the little meta tricks were well-executed but that's about all it had going for it and those few clever moments aren't enough to carry the rest of it which doesn't have much to it. it isn't just that mullins did most of the ideas here better with inscryption, but that pulling similar tricks while having a much much better game attached to it does make pony island pale in comparison.

2016 was a simpler time.....

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I appreciated MyHouse a lot!

I seem to recall the grouchy Doom WAD forum/nursing home locked the thread and started wiping posts once it attracted tourists, which is pretty amusing and true to form

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

credburn posted:

Finished Cyberpunk 2077 and Phantom Liberty. I was in constant awe of how beautiful and well executed the game is, but I hated it. I don't know why, I can't figure out why, I absolutely hated playing this game.

Never found any pants that had value beyond just cosmetic stuff so the entire game I just had my junk flapping around like a crazyperson. Boots, shirt, helmet, sure, but never pants.

art imitates life...

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Party Boat posted:

I just finished Final Fantasy. I think these Square guys have promise - can't wait to see what they do next

Get yourself ready for Final Fantasy 2, a wartorn tale of the human cost of revenge with a very peculiar leveling scheme.

Coming soon to the Nintendo Entertainment System in 199x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Scalding Coffee posted:

They called the fourth Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II.

wtf