Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I have just beaten Half-Life.

It's pretty good! I think these crazy Valve kids are gonna do alright ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Metal Gear Solid

This and Resident Evil 2 blew my tiny little gamer mind back in 1998 and have never really slid out of my top 10 GOAT list since. That said, it might be about 15 years since I last played MGS.

I found the pace of the game really interesting compared to my memories. The game moves at a real click, and I always thought there was more breathing room between the set pieces, which flow near enough back to back. Even accounting for cutscenes, codec sequences and Kojima just generally huffing his own farts, I found this to move at a really fun pace; albeit at the expense of really needing to engage that much with any stealth. It turns out I must have created a lot of my own fun with the guards back in the day, because in reality there are only a handful of those sections and they pass extremely quickly.

I thought most of the games big moments continued to stand out. This is a fun cast of characters and even with PS1 era visuals, the sense of spectacle to the Hind D fight or seeing Rex for the first time still hit the right notes. Obviously we’ve come a long way since 1998 in terms of voice acting and narrative presentation, but my takeaway from MGS is that the voice actors all sound like they really enjoyed their roles in this game.

Any “age” was mostly felt with the games controls, specifically any action that required precision shooting. Psycho Mantis, the first Sniper Wolf fight, locking onto specific bits of Rex with the Stinger before getting bombarded with missiles, or even just lining up melee attacks during the Liquid fight, all caused me issues.

But yeah.. this was a really sharp and entertaining blast of nostalgia for the Christmas period, and remains a classic IMO.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Arrrthritis posted:

I just beat the remake of the original System Shock, and it was pretty incredible.

My GOTY for 2023. Just loved it. An extremely memorable experience.

I also really appreciated that there were moments that forced me to consult a guide or write things down in a notepad at my desk.