Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Foul Fowl posted:

i also enjoyed reading what games everyone beat :)
My goodGoon buddy CaptainRat just pointed me to this thread after I told our group text that I spent my Thanksgiving beating three games in lieu of having anyone around to celebrate with, so I am here for you

And that was the capstone to a week where I also beat TWO OTHER games oh my goodness

Pentiment - I should have a list just of games where I cried at some point along the line, and this one would certainly join it. Pretty amazing that they were able to reel me back in emotionally considering I quit about halfway through the game and had basically forgotten every character and plot point since playing it on release, yet still could not believe they did my boy Vácslav so dirty (he probably felt vindicated by his fate, honestly, especially I got the impression Artemis was his co-conspirator). You really owe it to yourself to play this game, because you are probably never going to see another title like it unless Josh Sawyer gets the go-ahead for a spiritual successor somewhere down the line. Also you KNOW I popped huge for the loving landsknecht; you did it, Rope Kid, you really did it

Tyranny - The dramatic opening notes of this game's theme song pop into my head so frequently that I figured I had to finally finish it up, particularly since I remember hearing it was short and easy (I disagree with both sentiments, at least unless you are playing on easy mode and then it does indeed go by pretty quickly). I am not one of those people who wishes they had made more Tyranny games instead of more Pillars of Eternity games, but I can definitely see why this game has a fanbase. It feels unlike any other isometric CRPG despite on the surface looking a lot like others, and you can tell they built up enough lore and narrative potential here to last through a trilogy or more. And as usual Obsidian had a good mix of companions so interesting you wish you could bring them to other games and companions who are less dramatically astounding but still enjoyable to have along for the ride.

I finally started replaying Fallout: New Vegas alongside these two without even having consciously realized I was having a Josh Sawyer Gaming Block, as I was just picking half-finished games of different types to close out, but then I discovered New Vegas absolutely loathes Windows 11 and crashed so often I gave up even given how much I love it dearly

Refunct - Dammit why do they always get me with these short whimsical art pieces masquerading as games. Definitely had fun playing it though.

Continue?9876543210 - Even though nobody who missed this game's initial release in 2014 has probably heard of it, its plot honestly holds up (you just died in an unnamed arcade game and ostensibly did not have any quarters left and now your protagonist is despairing over his world ending and trying to avoid nothingness) and I had a pleasant enough time playing it for the like 30 minutes it took to see its ending (probably the worst possible ending of course)

Gunpoint - I always found this weird puzzle/platformer/slapstick game incredibly appealing, but the wonky-rear end resolution issues combined with occasionally just having no idea what to do kept me from finishing it for years, despite it also taking like an hour if you have any clue what you are doing.

Also should I play Alan Wake 2 if I kind of hated Alan Wake? Yes? Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Now I beat Tiny Tina's Wonderlands! I was a little surprised that it is now my favorite Borderlands game, but I see they are making a sequel so clearly I was not the only person who found it astoundingly good. It fits Borderlands' vibes better than the mainline series does, as fourth-wall-breaking and comedic coincidences make far more sense with tabletop gaming's permeable boundaries than in a traditional narrative.