Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I beat Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion

The world of Adventure Time is absolutely awesome and this game coasts entirely on that. Ooo is flooded, you have a boat and travel between islands by boat exploring, looting and fighting as well as completing basic fetch quests while gathering your party, which eventually includes Marceline and BMO. Combat is turn based, competently made but simple, there's some basic (and clunky) platforming and the occasional detective minigame too. It's all very easy, which is understandable considering it's target demographic, though it's rather slight and simple in ways that are less about demographics and more about budget. The game is extremely buggy, during a stealth section with Marceline I managed to softlock, requiring exiting the game and reloading. Luckily save checkpoints make this only a very tiny issue.

So as a game it's very basic, but it's visuals (aside some glitches), writing and sound design are absolutely pitch perfect, as good as any episode of the show. Running around in the Candy Kingdom with a Gumball Guardian towering overhead blowing bubbles, the denizens chattering amongst themselves, it's trite to say but it's immersive. The Evil Forest is another fun area and is quite easily the most expansive location in the game. Other areas are a lot less interesting, the Fire Kingdom is big but empty and the other small number of scattered islands may have a single quest each and maybe a dozen enemies to fight.

It doesn't feel like a cash-in, nothing about it is cynical, more like the developers earnestly tried to make the best, biggest Adventure Time video game they could with the budget they had. The show always seemed like it would make a good video game, there's multiple episodes that are literally about this, but in this case that narrative ambition that makes the show so special wasn't met with the scope it really deserves.

Nonetheless I enjoyed my time with it, hard to regret spending time with BMO. Love the little guy.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU