Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

TheMostFrench posted:

Coming back to it after many years, I finally beat a full run of FTL: Advanced on easy which can be notorious for frustrating RNG, but not so awful if you stick it out and figure out how you're supposed to play. Now that I feel like I get it, I can do a bunch of challenges to unlock the other ships and layouts, then beat the game with those as well.

2nd wave of the final fight can suck an rear end.

Man, launching FTL and hearing that title music start is forever an S-tier moment in gaming. Doesn't even matter how many times you've heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I beat Metro: Last Light and thought it was extremely middling. Bit of a relic from the past felt like, a very stereotypical Videogamey game, but it's only ten years old. Maybe this type of game is still being made these days and I'm out of touch with that part of the industry (I could believe it as I hardly play AAA stuff). Level design was kind of underwhelming too. And every fight with mutants was pure rear end. There were some nice touches here and there though (like how in the theater show one dancer was perpetually out of sync and struggling to keep up with the others).

Last week beat The Forgotten City and that was fabulous, but it was kinda funny how despite no longer being a mod for Skyrim there was still some Skyrimesque jank to it, like NPCs saying weird inappropriate poo poo at inappropriate times. The ending sequence went on a bit long but otherwise it's a very good time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I finished Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. My second time playing 1 and 2 but first seeing it through with 3. 120 hours, 30/40/50 respectively. Stuck with an Infiltrator through the whole thing and it never stopped being fun, especially since you can sorta Vanguard-it-up a bit for variety by cloaking and melee'ing enemies. It was a good time and I'm sad it's over.

The series as a whole has some obvious flaws and each game individually does as well. 2 is probably the best, being the most focused, but I did miss the planet exploration even if all those remote research facilities were copy and pasted. And the Hammerhead blows compared to the Mako.

3 was interesting. I thought the beginning was absolutely terrible. After palling around the galaxy with my crew in 2 I'm suddenly stuck on Earth with a bunch of boring military-type humans? There's some lovely dream sequence that feels entirely out of place for this series, barebones dialogue trees, and just a weird lack of atmosphere/vibes in general. The first time you get on the Normandy you don't even have the option to catch up with Joker. The whole thing felt super rushed and made me worried for the rest of the game, but fortunately it settles down afterwards and finds its groove again.

The ending sequence was also pretty bad, though. Gameplay-wise it has nothing on 2 despite the stakes being higher. From a narrative perspective the actual endings are fine but the way the choice was presented was very unclear - I accidentally triggered the wrong (for me) ending at first which after reading around seems a common experience. Between that and the hidden timer that I'm sure lots of players fell victim to, plus the fact that you can't manually save at that moment so going for a do-over means re-playing 30 minutes, I can understand why the ending rankled so many people back in the day. Especially since the requirements for the better endings were stricter at the time.

But everything in-between the beginning and end was pretty drat great. 3 feels like the most expansive and unwieldy of the bunch, especially in the DLCs. Some of it's a mess, but it's usually a charming mess.

I went and did some reading on the wiki on how different missions/plotlines shake out depending on your choices and there's some interesting stuff there (one that struck me in particular is a deadly confrontation with Wrex if you sabotage the genophage cure). I suppose one criticism of the series is that if you're thorough it's too easy to ace everything. My first time playing 2 I lost two party members at the end but I made better choices this time around and feel like I got very good outcomes for all of the conflicts in the game. (One exception is Mordin dying on Tuchanka; apparently he can survive but only if Wrex died on Virmire in 1 and you don't cure the genophage... so his sacrifice is still the better outcome I think.)

Also found out that you can get murdered by Morinth in 2 which is hilarious. But genuinely why would anyone pick Morinth over Samara? The game doesn't give you any reason to do so, either narratively or from a gameplay perspective (you don't even know what her powers are at that moment).

Anyway, great games. Maybe I'll do a failShep run some time where I deliberately gently caress up as much as possible.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Have you played the Citadel DLC for 3? A lot of people correctly ignore the references it makes to the war and just treat the party at the end like the final wrap-up of the game post-ending (just ignore the bullshit about Shepard, EDI and the Geth dying when you choose the correct Destroy ending) and while yes to some degree it is pandering, it's overall a sweet, pleasant goodbye to characters that you've spend 3 games and potentially hundreds of hours with. The final scene/words of the game being Shepard reflecting on how she's had the best days of her life on the Normandy is really lovely.

Yeah, I did Citadel basically as soon as it became available (sort of accidentally as I wasn't aware I was going into the DLC). It's basically the charming mess I was referring to, I didn't like the action parts of it much (the plot especially) but the Strip and all the character moments were great (Thane's video message was extra :cry: since he was my romance in 2). I can see why people prefer it as a coda, it definitely feels like one, but I thought it worked well enough as an interlude too, especially since you get multiple events with characters so it's natural to stagger them and do one whenever you go back to the Citadel. After the party I definitely felt like it was time to get back to work though.

In hindsight doing it early meant I missed out on some possible guests but oh well.

edit: Just to refine these thoughts a bit, I think the action bits work well as a coda but the party and social bits work well as an interlude, which is why the DLC as a whole came off a bit messy/confused to me since I did it all in one go (other than the scenes with characters I only met afterwards).

Capfalcon posted:

Doesn't she basically say she's rebelling against being put in a space cloister for people with the murder gene, so a certain type of gullible Shep might buy it.

Yeah though that point you've already investigated her latest murder and volunteered as her next victim so as a player I think you kinda have to deliberately make a bad decision there.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 17, 2024