Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just recently beat Hi-Fi Rush and it's a drat good game. I have absolutely no rhythm but the game (at least on normal mode) is very forgiving. The soundtrack is great, it's colorful and silly and doesn't take itself remotely seriously, and you can clear it through relatively quickly and just move on if you want, or push for the secret ending which is hilariously great. Or if you're insane you can try and complete every single challenge (I didn't enjoy it THAT much).

Plus it has a cat!

https://i.imgur.com/mh9cYLh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The comedic timing in Hi-Fi Rush is so good.

The little cutscene after the Security Boss fight cracks me up every time I think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've played over 160 hours of Noita, beaten the game twice, and apparently have still seen only roughly 4% of everything there is to see in the game. It's loving insane (and fantastic).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still remember excitedly telling my friend at school about my shareware copy of Doom that I was playing on my 486DX2/66mhz computer. "What's a 486DX2/66mhz?" my friend asked. "I don't know," I explained.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I have just beaten Half-Life.

It's pretty good! I think these crazy Valve kids are gonna do alright ya know.

Good news, they've already made 4 sequels to it! And one day, we might even get Half Life 3!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

emdash posted:

got the first ending in Armored Core 6 after a long break to focus on other games. There are few (maybe zero) combat systems that make you feel like more of a badass. Also a top 5 soundtrack for me. And I love that it throws you into NG+ immediately with no prompting. Might just try to 100% this game

It's so goddamn good, enjoy New Game+ and New Game++, it's totally worth it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just beat The Outer Wilds. It is an absolutely incredible experience, the kind of game I want to grab people by the shoulders and beg them to go play, but also one I don't want to tell them ANYTHING about because I wouldn't want to get in the way of them getting to experience everything for the first time. I played it in VR which was an absolutely fantastic experience, but the "standard" way of playing it would also be incredible because the writing, visuals and score are all top notch.

I seriously can't recommend it enough but also can't tell you anything about it, beyond that everybody you have heard raving about it over the last few years were completely in the right and it is a game you have to, you must, you GOTTA, play for yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Did it? I hadn't even heard of it until a friend mentioned it a couple weeks back.

Yeah, it placed #9 in the 2021 Game of the Year thread, people were absolutely raving about it back then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait, Eri was an optional character in LAD7? :psypop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So was she originally just part of the business minigame? This is bizarre to me!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha yeah, I got the substory/cutscene where all of Ichiban's girlfriends show up at the same time :lol:

I guess it just didn't occur to me that people wouldn't immediately stop everything else to just crush the Business game till it was done and you were a billionaire :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's kind of amazing :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keeper Garrett posted:

I blasted through Deathloop. That was a lot of fun!

I loved my time playing the game but I did feel like I'd done EVERYTHING there was to do by the time it was done, I understand they changed the finish to be a bit more in-your-face with what happened to everybody else who were unknowingly reliving the loop as well? When I finished playing it the ending was, if I remember correctly, you wake up in a now barren world untold centuries (millennia?) after the loop was started and your daughter walks away pissed off which felt pretty threadbare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4 was the "weakest" for me (still a great game!), but I'm still mad that 3 isn't just entirely Kiryu dadding about Okinawa and looking after the kids because that was the absolute best part of the game.

I absolutely loving love Yakuza 5, it's incredible, but I can see how some people might not take to the development strategy of:

"What should we include in this game?"
"Yes."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The spoilered reveal was in 4 and yeah, it was really goddamn stupid (and they repeat the same fakeout with the murdered superintendent showing up alive at the end because he ALSO switched out rubber bullets in the gun used to shoot him!) even for a series like Yakuza that frequently embraces utterly nonsensical plot points.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, that waiter was so angry at getting the free ketchup he gets for working at the restaurant ruined that he just leaped through the air and assaulted that guy behind the desk, crazy to see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I decided to download and play through Hi-Fi Rush because of a couple posters singing its praises in this thread. Holy loving poo poo those people were spot loving on. I played on Normal because I mostly wanted to rock out and see the story, and it was a breeze (I think I only died to the final boss), but I didn't care because I just had a goofy-rear end grin on my face for the entire playthrough. Everything about this game is just fun to play. Landing attacks on the beat feels great, listening to the music respond to your attacks and rock out more and more as your rating gets higher is a joy, the characters are likeable and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny... it feels like playing your favorite Saturday morning cartoon as a video game but aged up just enough to hit your adult mind in the perfect sweet spot. Play this loving game.

It really is just a wonderful experience, the good-time fun feelings never really stop and I felt like it wrapped up exactly where it needed to (though I also love the "extra" ending so much :allears:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hana ruled and the out-of-nowhere weight loss at the end was powerfully stupid, yeah.

When she beats the utter poo poo out of those idiots who try to break into Sky Finance is so loving cool.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 9, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Like others, I really, really, really wanted to like Dragon's Dogma because on paper it sounds like EXACTLY my kind of game, but I just bounced off of my attempts to play it. Really hoping DD2 clicks with me because the game SHOULD be something I just want to devour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Have you played the Citadel DLC for 3? A lot of people correctly ignore the references it makes to the war and just treat the party at the end like the final wrap-up of the game post-ending (just ignore the bullshit about Shepard, EDI and the Geth dying when you choose the correct Destroy ending) and while yes to some degree it is pandering, it's overall a sweet, pleasant goodbye to characters that you've spend 3 games and potentially hundreds of hours with. The final scene/words of the game being Shepard reflecting on how she's had the best days of her life on the Normandy is really lovely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vookatos posted:

Beaten Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

The game takes a lot from GTA and feels like what people thought Yakuza was back when that series wasn't popular. The story is really fun rags-to-riches triad tale which has a little twist by making you play as an undercover cop, which provides additional tension.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7AN1vAeUUI&t=31s

I loved Sleeping Dogs, though I played it pre-Yakuza so I imagine replaying it would make me compare it to those games now. I was always sad they didn't make more, a series of continued adventures in Hong Kong would have been a blast, and I liked that the DLC didn't mind getting weird with things like straight up doing Enter the Dragon with a martial arts tournament on a crime lord's island, or the supernatural themed one which meshed with the base mechanics so you could handcuff and arrest hopping vampires :3:

If I remember right, there was a "sequel" announced but it was some stupid loving multiplayer/moba thing? And it got canceled and they said,"WOW GUESS NOBODY WANTS ANY MORE SLEEPING DOGS HUH!?!?!" and that was that. I guess if the original game had come out only a few years ago the "sequel" would have been some gaas bullshit where you have to punch mobsters to unlock purple gear that adds 0.002% speed to cuffing animations or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah and also same to the game confirming my suspicions that I would be the world's worst detective.

I think I would probably also be stupid enough to (act 2 ending) try and save books from the fire as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The photo mode for Mad Max really was fantastic, and so was the one for Cyberpunk. The latter makes sense, but the former being so good makes the weak rear end photomode in Dragon's Dogma 2 more frustrating because this should be a solved problem!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

I beat Pentiment tonight. It's going on my game of the year list for sure.

:bisonyes:

I hope that game continues to surprise and delight new players for years to come.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I will say that I was personally a big fan of the resolution to the hidden door stuff, though I don't know if everybody will think the work needed to get there makes it worth it. I felt it absolutely fit in with the general atmosphere of the game as a whole though. The wrap-up is linked here, you can click it to see what happens if you like, but I think it works best getting there the long way around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everything from "Zelda" showing up to save Link through to Link FINALLY catching her hand this time around was.... goddamn, what an incredible game :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alyx really is the high watermark of VR games in my experience so far. Nobody else has even come close, though the Outer Wilds VR mod makes an excellent game even excellenter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Best From game imo, bummer that nothing has matched how good the sword combat feels in this game. The aggressive pacing and mechanics was way more my vibe than how avoidant their other games can be in comparison.

It's one of those games where surviving a duel by the skin of your teeth having pulled every dirty trick you can think of, or completely trouncing your opponent who can't even touch you are both incredibly satisfying and cathartic.

That said, clowning on the young lord from the very start of the game multiple times till his final defeat is a very special kind of heaven :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pentiment is so loving good, I played through it multiple times and the different things that can crop up in the final mural continually surprised me.

:lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I just beat Hollow Knight after bouncing off it years ago, getting 87% completion. I'm really glad I stuck with it! I love a good metroidvania but for whatever reason the combat didn't click with me before, probably because I didn't play Ducktales as a kid so the unlimited power provided by pogoing hadn't yet been revealed to me.

I'll probably try to find the secret ending that the achievements hint at and maybe finish the Grimm Troupe stuff but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the game that's way above my skill level. At the very least I'm ready for Silksong, which is coming any day now... right?

They've been waiting for you to finish it, we've all been VERY patient with you! :gonk:

But yeah, game's great, can't wait for Silksong! No. Seriously. I can't wait :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those ladies just rolled around on top of a bed in their underwear while Kiryu sat stoically on the side of the bed, slightly confused but not wanting to make a scene.