Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have completed 100 games this year. :> at some point I should do an effort post talking about all of them as it ranges anywhere from 2023 released AAA games, to retro neo-geo arcade titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Avatar Frontiers of Pandora. I liked it! It is absolutely a Far Cry high effort mod, but the graphics upgrade is next-gen and equal to Cyberpunk 2077.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Immortals of Aveum. Enjoyed it at about the bare minimum, it felt like it could have been a lot more. I think my biggest complaint was how it didn't feel immersive; the player has very little to no agency or influence over the game world. For first person shooters, one of the best things you can do to make the player feel like their actions matter, is to have destructible objects, give projectile firing some weight to it, and be able to see the aftermath of a fire fight. Immortals has none of this. Boxes, and barrels can't be destroyed, there are no barrels that can explode around enemies. This very simple thing though makes you feel like you're playing a character that is apart of the world, and makes it feel alive and full of consequence by your actions. For an Unreal Engine 5.0 AAA game, and one made by an Electronic Arts funded company, this was really disappointed. In comparison, Robocop: Rogue City (also an Unreal 5 game), a huge amount of the environment will be destroyed from your firefights with the enemy. Walls, pillars, computers, monitors, doors, everything can be destroyed or damaged. It feels very visceral and shooting has a lot of weight to it.

Not to completely poo poo on the game, it did fill a niche that I really wanted; using magic in place of guns. I think however that this could have been more creative. There really was not a lot of difference between the three different schools of magic, and you had different AoE blasts that are all essentially the same thing, and then three different gadgets that were used for simple puzzles.

Controls were janky at times, and platforming felt frustrating at points. A lot of puzzles felt like they were just there to pad out the length of the game, and added really nothing to the world, or a reason for existing. Nearly every video game does this so i'm not going to really dock Immortals for it too much.

I just really couldn't help but walk away from this game feeling like it could have been so much more than what it was. An average, passionless, by the numbers FPS that didn't seem to want to make a statement, or do anything creative with the tools it had been given. It has an identity, it just isn't an interesting one that you want to spend time with.

5/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Duty: WWII

Originally bought this at release, but never played the single player campaign, just the multiplayer. Finally got around to playing the single player. Felt disappointed; while the game looks really pretty, it follows only one single character through the western European war. This is disappointing because the prior World War II Call of Duty titles, had you jumping between characters across multiple theaters of war. I would have liked a return to this formula, to see different perspectives across the war, with the next-gen graphics, this could have been a nice sequel to World at War, the last previous WWII CoD we got, which released early in the 360/PS3 era.

As always though, the guns feel great to shoot, very responsive, immersive, and feels real. Where WWII really drops the ball though is in the scenarios. So much of the game is just shooting enemies, with very little variation, such as vehicle combat, and special one off scenarios here and there, and cool set pieces. In the few times you do drive vehicles, its bad... REALLY BAD. For example there is a tank section, and then later an combat airplane section, the controls on both are god awful.

This just felt like a very rushed and poorly thought out Call of Duty. It released at about the time when the series really started to go downhill in a very noticeable and clear way that the direction of CoD is going in the wrong direction. This isn't the worst CoD, but there are better ways you can spend your time with the series.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

the Outer Worlds: Spacers Choice Edition

I did a new playthrough of the Outer Worlds, but this time on the Spacers Choice Edition, which is a complete overhaul of the game on Unreal Engine with a brand new lighting and shadow renderer that makes the gameworld look a lot more unique and interesting. Having been a bit disappointed with Starfield has made me appreciate the Outer Worlds that much more. It is everything that I wish Starfield was, albeit on a smaller scale than I would have liked. Interesting main story, characters, weapons, world, and a UI that doesn't suck. I really truly believe the Other Worlds is a hidden gem that is very under appreciated. Really hoping the sequel gives the game the love it really deserves. If I had to knock it for anything its that it wasn't ambitious enough, and the writing doesn't quite rise to the level of Fallout New Vegas, or Pillars of Eternity II. Obsidian needed to get Josh Swayer on board with this game, but I still appreciate and like what the writing team put together.

9/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dead Island 2

Was really surprised by Dead Island 2; the story, characters, environment, and graphics are all great. Its such a well designed game in many ways, and doesn't bog itself down by trying to make an overwhelmingly huge gameworld. If I had to change anything, it's that it feels too gamified in its design, and there are a lot of repeating puzzles, and needing to find things like batteries to open doors. But the melee combat feels good, and the crafting isn't a chore. There are also some really funny and well done side quests, and collectables. Also loved Dead Island 2's graphic violence, and how they implemented zombie body destruction with organs that can fly out of dead bodies if enough damage is done. It manages to be both funny and gruesome.

8/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Granblue Fantasy Relink - Had been waiting for this JRPG to release since its announcement in 2017. It went through absolute development hell, and at one point I gave up on it ever coming out and assumed it would be canceled. And then it finally got a release date out of no where last year, and its finally out. It was worth the long loving wait. Holy poo poo this game is amazing, and is one of my favorite titles of 2024 already. Like it has cemented itself as a top 10 without question. The main story campaign is really short, like 10 - 15 hours to complete, so where Relink really shines is in its overwhelmingly massive end game and grind. You'll slowly work your way through bosses and multiple difficulties, farming materials to upgrade your weapons, and sigils, and you do this for a large selection of characters. You need to build a party of four characters (or do co-op online), and its just really fun if you're the kinda person that lives numbers going up up up. The only thing I would really like to see improved is for there to be cross platform play between PC and PlayStation, its really disappointing that this is not a thing.

10/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth: Perfect game, the story is insane and convoluted, but heart warming, dark, funny, and emotional all in equal parts. Its so well done and paced. The side content is completely insane. Infinite Wealth feels like the Avengers MCU movies of JRPGs. Bringing multiple decades of Yakuza games and their plots together to resolve long standing plots and characters. Its incredible, and so well done. This is a very ambitious game, but Sega perfectly limited themselves and what they could do in order to not let the gigantic scope get out of hand. The game is massive, but self contained to multiple small areas, with Hawaii being the biggest. It works really well.

10/10 - top five best games of 2024 without question

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1760335427070759176

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Artelier posted:

Me walking around Death Stranding, delivering stuff, helping and being helped by other people: This game rules I love it sm

Me in combat or stealth or basically anything gameplay that's not traversing the world: Why am I doing this whyyyyyyy*

* It's not like bad but more like not what appeals to me about the game at all so it just became a chore and I never finished it

Hoping Death Stranding 2 improves the combat, or just like removes it altogether. The challenge of traveling across the landscape and avoiding environmental hazards, was the best part of the first game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden What starts off with a lot of promise, turns into a very tedious and boring action RPG / Adventure. Very padded out game length with what amounts to a gigantic fetch quest. Repeating the same tired and tedious puzzles over and over again, with a story that goes no where, and a lot of backtracking on top of all of that. I wanted to like this game, it starts off really cool at first, but then you start to realize the gameplay loop is so simple, and there is zero variation during the entire length. Making the 20 - 25 hours for the main story feeling twice as long. And then there is just the world design; clearing obstacles that are blocking your path, climbing ladders, solving puzzles for blocked elevators, squeezing through tight spaces to get around load times on last gen consoles, it just feels like a huge chore. I was so frustrated by the half way point.

5/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haldolium posted:

Thats too bad, I was looking forward to play a bit more but already was turned off by the combat and long walks at the start so I'd probably end with the same conclusion.

I wish they'd just do Remember Me again but better... still the only game I really liked from them despite obvious flaws.

Ooh gently caress yes, Remember Me was really cool at the time. I played that on PS3 and enjoyed it a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth: 45 hours to complete the main storyline. Rebirth is just completely off the wall loving nuts. The world is so massive, and each region you visit is very unique. I loved how each region has different traveling mechanics, with one even giving you something different other than a chocobo. Even then the chocobos are all different and have their own unique mechanics. Just details like that which are actually huge, and keep the game feeling fresh and engaging for the entire time. And each region is gigantic, and then you have the large open ocean to explore near the end of the game. The combat takes what was great about Remake, and fine tunes it further and makes it feel even better. All of the min-games are great too, and a huge source of entertainment, some of them could easily be their own game as well. Queen's Blood is the standout, and then there is the Golden Saucer games. There are a lot a large number of one off mini-games you'll come across too for side quests, and the main story.

If I had to complain about anything, it is the main storyline is weak at points. The characters are great, and their adventure, friendship, and interactions together carry the story forward. The humor, dialog, voice acting, and animation will carry you to the end of the plot. This is a new standard in cinematic cutscenes for a video game. It's only when it gets into the melodrama bits that things start to fall apart. The story relies so heavily on tropes, plot armor, and deus ex machina. There are so many fake out moments, almost none of the conflict has consequences for the main cast, or the antagonists. And then the ending I think is going to be especially controversial. It feels like Square was really scared to just commit and let players feel the weight of the events unfold, and as a result unfortunately a lot of the plot gets frustrating, and bogged down with predictable repeating outcomes in each chapter. So many small moments where something happens that doesn't make sense, or counteracts the worlds logic and rules. Or just basic common sense, why would this happen? moments that are confusing and detract from what is otherwise a pretty epic experience and one of a kind game.

All that said, Rebirth is coming off of a legendary JRPG with overwhelmingly high expectations. It's a completely new retelling of the original game, just like Remake was, but even more different than that even. Square took a lot of risks, they went really hard with the open world design and side activities, and then in some cases decided to play it really safe and lazy with the writing. So Rebirth ultimately comes so close to perfection, but just misses the mark with stumbles in the plot and writing. Still putting this though as one of the top three best games of 2024 right now, and I don't see that changing for me.

9/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wrong thread!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I just beat the game "Pacific Drive". Cool game about driving and maintaining your car thru a radioactive anomaly that was the Pacific Northwest. I knew a girl who probably would have liked it a lot.

Pacific Drive is awesome! It takes place in WA, and as a resident here it’s exactly what the roads are like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragon's Dogma 2 Finished the main storyline, but obviously still have dozens of hours left of side content. Jesus gently caress, this is my favorite open world RPG ever. I don't know how i'm gonna go back to other RPGs like this. The world feels real, and dynamic. No world map with collectibles, no climbing towers to unlock more collectibles, the quests are all their own self contained stories that are thoughtful and make a difference in the gameworld. The NPCs have their own actual lives. The world just feels full of life and lived in. So much detail has gone into every single aspect of making this feel like a real breathing world that you live in, instead of play in, and that is why I love it so much.

The pawn system is great and one of my favorite features of DD2. It's such an unique approach; you have your own personal pawn, and then you recruit two that are created by other players. The combat is designed around a four group dynamic. I love all of the little details in how all of this works. The pawns will talk to you and each other, show you quest locations if their master (another player) did that quest already. You can do goofy poo poo like jump off cliffs and roofs and a pawn in your group down below will catch you.

Other than performance issues across all platforms, DD2 is perfect in every other way. This is a new standard in open world RPGs that addresses every complaint people have about games from the likes of UBISoft and EA Games. It asks, what if we did what gamers actually wanted (micro-transactions not with standing)? and took the risk and did it. When you take risks as a game developer, and try not to make a game made by committee and group focus testing, DD2 is the end result, and SURPRISE, it actually works out extremely well.

10/10 and one of my new favorite RPGs ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

It's legit insane that you finished this, what the gently caress lol

The main storyline is actually pretty short. Like I have 26 hours played so far and there is still a lot left for quests, but I have a lot of the outside world uncovered.

Morpheus posted:

Dragon's Dogma really does a great job of representing those big brawls you get into in a tabletop game where people are leaping across the room, there's magic whizzing by, you turn to see your ally is on another enemy just hacking away at it so you jam your sword in before running off to take care of the foe that's approaching the wizard who's in the midst of another spell, etc.

Yeah! DD2 is really just a big sandbox D&D adventure where you explore and make your own fun.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, important question - do you actually go to the moon in this?

no! and i'm so sad about this after actually learning recently that you were meant to in the first game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Dang, I do like the game, the big monster setpieces are amazing, action is very cool and satisfying. But I feel like they really didn't change that much from the first game apart from better graphics and bigger map. You had 10 years to figure this out.

Yeah I hope for a 3rd game, we get destructible environments, and swimming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

credburn posted:

Never found any pants that had value beyond just cosmetic stuff so the entire game I just had my junk flapping around like a crazyperson.

This is intentional, you were playing correctly.

Mad Max this game is both really awesome, and frustrating at the same time. The main story is great, and the open world is mostly awesome. Driving around it is so fun, but all of the side objectives, and collecting stuff really sucks and feels bad. A lot of other goons have been playing it in the last few weeks, and I agree with everyone that this is a very 7/10 game that could be a lot better if maybe scaled back in pointless collection activities. The on foot combat at times felt janky too. But I really liked the characters, sound effects, story, and world. So much of the game has very good highs, but then trips over itself with some annoying lows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rise of the Ronin: This was a lot of fun! The combat is really chaotic and requires quite a bit of careful timing and reflexes to master. I think the combat mechanics are not as deep or engaging though as Ghost of Tsushima, I enjoyed that one a lot more. But I liked the open world of RotR a lot more. The multiple regions you can visit, and large cities, were fun to explore. The large open regions with collectibles initially came across as groan inducing to me, but what RotR gets right is that it's easy and accessible to collect this stuff. The world is designed in such a way that you just come across most of it on your way to the next story mission, and its not all bogged down with obtuse puzzles and out of the way spots that require an online guide to figure out.

I think there were maybe too many different systems, and a lot of them didn't feel important or necessary. But my absolute favorite feature was co-op for the story missions. This helped so much with getting through the game because your AI companions are not aggressive enough in combat, and this game unlike Ghost of Tsushima, rewards more aggressive playing. Will want to double dip on PC if a port ever happens. Mouse and keyboard will make the gun & bow/arrow shooting much smoother. Gamepad just wasn't accurate enough with these weapons, even though they are very useful during frantic combat moments, which i'm not entirely sure is their intended use case, but their ability to stun enemies makes them really important if you're able to master aiming while the enemy is attacking you.

The story is also complete non-sense, and after awhile I stopped trying to follow it. I think the game loses its plot due to the branching paths you can take and that you can change decisions at any moment? Or i'm just stupid and this is a me problem? Just so much of the story at points didn't feel connected to the overall plot. For what its worth though, the events of this game are based on a real life 10 years of civil unrest that really happened in Japan during the time period this takes place. So read up on that as you play through the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harold Halibut this adventure game is a hidden gem. It was so good, I loved the characters, environments, soundtrack, and art style. Its made entirely in stop motion, every character and object rendered in the game is real, and it just looks amazing. If you have Game Pass, absolutely do not miss this game. Its a 10 - 12 hour game that is well paced.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eiyuden Chronicle you eventually get a character that lets you control the battle music during combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shard posted:

you're selling me hard right now

The tank you ride around in is really cool looking imo.