Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've finally "beaten" Palworld with about ~144 hours played in it and I'd say, overall, Game Good! It's obviously still very early access in places; the dungeon design is barebones as gently caress, the base raid AI is straight up broken, certain interactions like ragdolling things with explosion attacks frequently lead to pals(or you!) getting clipped through terrain and falling out of world, but the majority of the gameplay and interactions work seamlessly. And they've done a great job since release to fix serious bugs, like the infamous "pals get stuck on top of buildings and starve" bug. At the rate they've been fixing stuff I fully expect them to continue improving the game(a lot of people have expected them to cash out and run), and hope the statement of "it was 60% complete at release" is accurate, because that would mean quite a lot of new stuff is on the horizon. It was mostly a very chill experience, put-on-a-podcast/livestream/whatever-and-play sort of game for me.

I've beaten all the bosses, completely mapped out all the landmasses, caught all the legendary pals, and defeated or captured every alpha pal on the world map, and my paldeck is at like 99% completion. I took it extremely slowly, completing each island before moving on to the next, so I hit level 50 long before I really tried to take on the fire, earth, or ice islands. but even at max level with significantly strong pals and weapons, it didn't trivialize the enemies in the endgame zones. Indeed I got owned many times by "trash mobs" because I thought I'd be cute and aggro a bunch at once for AOEing or whatever. and especially the endgame pals and bosses, those required actual strategy and a bit of grinding to get the high-ranked weaponry schematics and condensed pals to be able to take them on properly.

the final opponents for me were the ice island tower boss and the two centaur legendaries in the desert. the first required actually getting legendary quality weaponry to be able to DPS him down within the time limit, and fast footwork to dodge his pal's absurd attack patterns, because 3-4 hits meant I died. and the centaurs, it was a pretty frustrating but intense and rewarding fight, in that they killed the poo poo out of me a dozen times before I managed to whittle them down and get a lucky capture of the dark one, which made taking down the light one much more manageable now that I didn't have to worry about being gibbed by a massive laser cannon from offscreen out of nowhere. I really hope they add more of these sorts of unique encounters with their future updates, fix things like base raid AI, and add variety and interactions to the dungeons and unique overworld stuff. I also hope they add more base stuff for pals to enjoy, I like having hot springs for my pals but let me give them like, workout areas and other stuff. wanna see every pal's interaction with a punching bag.

the things that really changed the game for me was my first flying pal, a Nitewing with all the speed modifiers, and then after that was catching a Galeclaw. the Galeclaw as a glider is twice as fast as anything you can craft, turns on a dime, and lets you shoot while gliding. it made for incredible boss fight movement, dodging projectile barrages and lasers, outrunning attempts to melee me, etc. I never really interacted with the breeding aspect of the game, but I absolutely LOVED going egg hunting in each zone and then seeing what I could hatch when I returned to base.

overall, I'm super happy and surprised with how much I enjoyed Palworld. I believe my exact words on these forums when the final trailer showed up before release was "if this game is anything but an unmitigated trash fire I will be loving shocked". I'm glad I was proven wrong and look forward to any new stuff they add in the future. I hear there's an update coming soon, too, though I'm not sure of the specifics.

probably my favorite Pals, not because of utility or because they were my primarily used ones, but because of design and feel ingame, are Mossanda and Cawgnito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j82jLkMtL5Y&hd=1

I love Cawgnito's movement and attack pattern, also that it's an evil-looking pal but is entirely non-hostile until attacked. it loving goosesteps around and looks ridiculous and hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdU6PtegEkA&hd=1

some screenshots I took while playing:

finishing building the first of the endgame production buildings, Assembly Line 2, with a wide variety of pals

I loving adore all the little touches for each of the pals, the different animations each one has, etc. it adds so much for me. like how Reptyro is too big to fit in the sauna, so he just puts his front feeties in. or how Mossanda bows and then punches trees to harvest wood.

I encountered apparently one of the rarest things in the game, a Herd of Grizzbolts in the desert. It is a modifier of a modifier of a modifier of a rare spawn, first having to be a Herd spawn, then having to choose to be a rare type herd spawn, then having to choose the rarest possible type from that selection list, Grizzbolts. Notable because Grizzbolts are not otherwise catchable outside of a rare spawn on one of the wildlife sanctuaries. When the first person to find a herd of them posted about it, people ripped into him for "faking it" because nobody else had seen it before. I caught most of them but accidentally killed a couple in the chaos and this was the best screenshot I got because I forgot to take one before aggroing them

my awesome Anubis base guards, keeping the road up to my original base safe. in reality they glitched themselves outside my base by falling off the cliff there and are just stuck where they're standing and I had to despawn them to fix it but it does look cool tho

I saw a spot of green in the otherwise greenless desert island, investigated, and found a rare spawn of a Dinossum and Dinossum Lux pair hanging out. very cute

I reiterate, I love mossanda(and thus mossanda lux) so much, they're so cute and all their animations are wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU