Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Beat Lords of the Fallen (The recent one :v:) a few days ago. After waiting a bit for patches to smooth over it's admittedly rough performance and immediate gameplay issues, I found the game to be a surprisingly effective "Soulslike" affair.

My initial impression was a sense of familiarity with the gameplay and "feeling" that comes from a fair amount of time in the various FromSoft titles. You could probably play through Elden Ring and then immediately drop into this with little to no resistance. There are a few relatively unique mechanics, one of which does most of the heavy lifting in differentiating the game from it's cousins, but the overall sensation is very "Dark Souls."

The setting is unapologetically "grimdark" fantasy affair, touching a bunch of your usual archetypes (ENIGMATIC NETHERWORLD, CORRUPTED HOLY RELIGION, FIERY DEMONIC INFLUENCE, so forth) without irony. But I found it effective and very pretty in the depictions.

My only criticism would be that the overall balance of bosses could use some refining, some of which feeling a bit lackluster in the later portions of the game (one being particularly disappointing). The devs have pushed patches that have tuned up some encounters and I've heard NG+ feels like a more rounded experience if you are a veteran of getting your head caved by monsters as an entertainment.

I will for sure be revisiting in the future, once more content and tuning has been applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU