Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

I just beat Alan Wake 2. It has shockingly good visual and sound design, which is no surprise coming from Remedy. But it’s a bad video game. Nearly all of the moment to moment gameplay is deeply unfun, full of baffling game design choices that feel pulled from another era, and the self-indulgent plot is as deep as a puddle. The game about writing is in dire need of an editor.

Play Control instead, or if you’re looking for spooky northwest vibes, play Deadly Premonition. You’ll have a better time with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Desdinova posted:

I loved Alan Wake, is the gameplay the same or did they make it worse for no reason? I love most of Remedy's stuff (couldn't get into MP3) and the plot from what I've seen and the style and the music looks like AW2 is going to be great. Am I going to hate it if I loved the first, even 100% the manuscript? Cos if they made the gameplay worse (less interactive) it's going to be the gaming disappointment of several years.

I think if you’re a superfan of the first one then you owe it to yourself to play the new one regardless of any critique. The game is clearly a passion project designed by people who loved the original. For me, my memories of the first are hazy, and the game really treats it like a proper sequel, as though you played the original yesterday. So a lot of it fell flat based on my own disinterest in the plot, some of which is due to my treating this like a game I could just pick up and play at a friend’s recommendation.

I don’t think it’s necessarily less interactive than the first, if anything there’s more variety there, but I found the execution of all of their additions to be insufficient. But the comparison to a walking simulator is bogus. If we’re talking other genres, I want the Remedy FMV game they very clearly want to make. I hope they make it soon, and I will probably enjoy it.

Blankspace posted:

Control was great as a power fantasy with some really killer design but had a really dogshit RNG loot (+ randomized missions, grinding samey dungeons etc) system with a kajillion +X% to Y equippables bursting out of everything (and a limited inventory! hope you like hitting disassemble!) that added way too much pointless menu busywork, and the damage curve on the weapons except for the throw was really hosed by the last 1/4 of the game. Plus the narrative was pretty loose and muddy, never really felt like it came together to anything as great as it felt like it could with the pieces that were on the table. AW2 IMO avoids at least most of the missteps I feel like they ran into the last 3 games.

I understand that this philosophy doesn’t work for everybody, but I took a look at those elements when they were introduced and decided “that looks like poo poo, I’m not engaging with that unless I have to.” And so my opinion of Control is a little more positive. (Plus I loved the throw power.) I don’t mean to excuse them, they should have been better, but at least they’re optional.

I do agree about the plot being muddy though - and AW2 has the same problem. Just because dream logic is at play doesn’t mean that you get a pass on not tying things together or failing to create emotional scenes.

Lisztless fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Yeah, they are totally different kinds of games. But if you love getting to learn about a galaxy full of fun, weirdo aliens, there’s significant overlap.